• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

i can see your point, and it is a possible aspiration of management. What doesn't help are mixed messages from senior management. in one breath saying that operations staff aren't affected by changes, but in the next breath stating they are pushing ahead with the Digital Railway concept - which would affect signalling roles.
There are obvious benefits to a digital railway (which is all they ever talk about), but there are also risks. The most obvious being the terrorism element. If your train service is run by computer, the computer and its safeties can be overridden by hackers and foreign state actors like China, Russia, Iran, North Korea sending 2 trains against one another on the same line for example. The only real defence to this is probably human drivers and human signallers spotting the dangers and stopping it. I don't see how any computer safety system would be adequate to manage this risk on a digital railway because of the scale of destruction that could be possible if it ever was hacked.

When people talk about this dream of digital railways therefore I don't see that future as viable. I'm sure government would like to do it for cost and efficiency, but just one incident of a failure or a compromised system and the integrity of the whole network would be shot. Still these are arguments for a few decades time rather than the short or even medium term.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SH89

Does anyone know anything about Gobowen box on the Shrewsbury to Wrexham line? Currently mentioned in a large Shrewsbury and Hereford ad on the careers site: https://careers.networkrail.co.uk/j...l-North-Wales-Hereford-Shrewsbury-Gobowen/634

The ad states jobs are a grade 2 FTC, but I think that is due to Wales region mostly recruiting in that way for signaller jobs.

I have read an old post on here stating that it is a grade 3, 12hr box so wondered if that was still the case!

Re-signalling plans for Shrewsbury and towards Wrexham?
Thanks all.
Hello, I’m currently at signalling school after being recruited into Gobowen(internally) it’s a grade 3 box on 12 hour shifts! I believe it’s advertised as grade 2 as they pay you that whilst going through training, once you pass out you get paid at the box grade.

Lots of people on my course were recruited on 12 month FTC and expected to apply whilst training, as you then have access to internal vacancies.

KlichBate

Hello, I’m currently at signalling school after being recruited into Gobowen(internally) it’s a grade 3 box on 12 hour shifts! I believe it’s advertised as grade 2 as they pay you that whilst going through training, once you pass out you get paid at the box grade.

Lots of people on my course were recruited on 12 month FTC and expected to apply whilst training, as you then have access to internal vacancies.
Out of interest, are any struggling to find a position or are there enough jobs to apply from?

Open_G

Although I'm still to go through the medical, and not due to start until next year I was wondering if there are any good websites/books/podcasts etc. that would be worth reading/downloading to give me a bit of background on signalling. I come from an operational safety critical environment which is probably how I got through the interview process, but genuinely know sweet FA about signalling. I started reading a bit about absolute block signalling but beyond the very basics I am clueless. Is there anything that people would recommend just to help out to start with prior to training

Rockhopper

The general advice is don't - they will teach you everything you need to know from scratch. Perhaps learn the phonetic alphabet if you are not already familiar with it.

The general advice is don't - they will teach you everything you need to know from scratch. Perhaps learn the phonetic alphabet if you are not already familiar with it.
I agree. Just enjoy the course, which if you're keen to learn you certainly will. I got really high scores throughout and didn't go in knowing anything. My background was retail, healthcare and housing, so totally new to the industry.

Open_G

My operational background is from aviation... I used to teach new recruits radio protocol... The phonetic alphabet is pretty much there...

Dunnideer

My operational background is from aviation... I used to teach new recruits radio protocol... The phonetic alphabet is pretty much there...
Just chill out until you start then. Don’t try to read ahead, especially not 6+ months in advance of your course date.

PTGRail

I just wanted to again thank everyone who’s contributed to this thread with so much valuable information.

Got the phone call from Network Rail today offering me grade 3 at Upper Holloway. Feeling pretty ecstatic right now!

KieranG110

Hey Guys,

I'm currently going through my second application for a Grade 2 position in Lincolnshire. I was unsuccessful with my first application and placed on the reserve list. The position closes next week so I'm currently sat waiting for testing and interviews.

Can any current serving Signallers give their opinion about the job and if Network Rail are a good company to work for? Is it easy to move to higher graded Boxes down the line? Do you get get much over time pay on top of your base salary?

I'm currently in the military and looking to leave. The role I currently do pays slightly more than the grade 2 role but I receive no extra overtime on top of what I earn. I would appreciate an honest summary of the job and work life balance if possible.

thanks

High Dyke

Established Member
Hey Guys,

I'm currently going through my second application for a Grade 2 position in Lincolnshire. I was unsuccessful with my first application and placed on the reserve list. The position closes next week so I'm currently sat waiting for testing and interviews.

Can any current serving Signallers give their opinion about the job and if Network Rail are a good company to work for? Is it easy to move to higher graded Boxes down the line? Do you get get much over time pay on top of your base salary?

I'm currently in the military and looking to leave. The role I currently do pays slightly more than the grade 2 role but I receive no extra overtime on top of what I earn. I would appreciate an honest summary of the job and work life balance if possible.

thanks
On the whole they aren't that bad a company; I've worked in far worse places. I've been in the position for over twenty years now, so it can't be all that bad. In Lincolnshire most boxes are either Grade 2 or 3, Lincoln SCC being higher grade. There are opportunities to progress to higher grade locations / roles, if you choose, but some may involve relocating (York, Derby etc.) For many the work life balance is a matter of personal circumstances or choice - some enjoy their rest periods, but others would rather work more hours. The majority of shifts are 8hrs or 8h 30m for a lot of boxes - with a number of two-shift boxes. Only a few locations have night shifts.

Hey Guys,

thanks
Like every job it varies widely and the opportunities depend on some factors that you can't control. I've heard of ppl progressing fast, but not seen it myself. Heard of ppl getting lots of overtime, but in the 12 months I've been here I have only been offered 2days overtime in total. Social life will be tricky if you are a single man and obviously there is 0 tolerance for alcohol 24H before you start a shift. It's a good job, but I'm not as confident about future prospects as I was before I took the job. Everything is not as it appears- just bear that in mind. I'd still encourage you to apply. I've read on here people being offered grade 6boxes off the street, so some people can find a sweet spot here.

KieranG110

Thanks for your honest opinions.
On the whole they aren't that bad a company; I've worked in far worse places. I've been in the position for over twenty years now, so it can't be all that bad. In Lincolnshire most boxes are either Grade 2 or 3, Lincoln SCC being higher grade. There are opportunities to progress to higher grade locations / roles, if you choose, but some may involve relocating (York, Derby etc.) For many the work life balance is a matter of personal circumstances or choice - some enjoy their rest periods, but others would rather work more hours. The majority of shifts are 8hrs or 8h 30m for a lot of boxes - with a number of two-shift boxes. Only a few locations have night shifts.
Thanks for your honesty opinion

Leeward

Hi, new member here! ... though I have read through the entire thread, which is proving to be full of invaluable advice, so thank you to everyone that has contributed.

I am applying to a number of current vacancies and have just completed my online tests, so fingers crossed.

Kraken

Hey Guys,

thanks

I’m 18 months into this job and it’s one of the best decisions I’ve made to be honest. If you’re content to be on your own a lot of the time and have to make decisions off your own back then it’s the job for you. You do have to tolerate boredom on a quiet night shift. Sitting outside your box with a cup of tea listening to birds at 6 in the morning still feels like a treat. The downside is rarely having a weekend off which has cut into my family time quite dramatically. Also it can be very challenging to get leave booked in, particularly at less than 2 or 3 weeks’ notice. I feel way less flexible now if something comes up.

I’ve experience of both the military and civil service and Network Rail as a company I have personally found to be pretty good in comparison, albeit I’ve not had any major problems yet.

As far as overtime, I’m a relief signaller and get offered any amount of it. I probably went a bit overboard last year and ended up doing 25% more than the posted salary before tax, so you can bolster the pay if necessary. My line runs nights and weekends though, so you might not have as much opportunity for the extras as High Dyke has said.

It seems really easy to get a higher grade job if that is what you are after, plenty of people have done so in my area not very long after qualifying and have moved up to the Grade 6+ jobs in the bigger signalling centres. That seems like a totally different job to me and I’ve not decided yet whether I fancy it a few years down the line.

I would recommend the job to anyone who thinks it might be something they’d like, I wish I’d done it 10 years ago. Happen to take a PM if you want to chat about it.

Josh Bussell

Hi all,

Has anyone applied for the entry level in cardiff or park Junction? How long does recruitment take? Sat here everyday waiting for an e-mail :s

Mega

Hi everyone. Apologies if this has been discussed before.
I want to confirm the 12hrs shift pattern for 3bridges ROC grade 7position: is it 3days early & 4 days night? Do they get a week off in between at any point?

Also do signallers at TBroc get any allowance e.g south east operational allowance, operational supplement allowance?

Thanks for your anticipated responses.

Leeward

Question:

If I have applied to a number of concurrent vacancies, will the interview process be the same? I have heard back from just the one so far but others are yet to reach their closing date. I know the assessment is applied to all applications but will they interview separately?

which job?

The Shrewsbury/Hereford/Gobowen posts.

roker73

Hi all I'm a new member, I have read the thread all the way through, thank you for all the information. I'm off to signalling school in a weeks time so a bit nervous to say the least.

I'm joining as a grade 6 signaller in Exeter. I come from a military and government background so hopefully this will help, got held up at the medical with a bad back but all sorted and start next week.

I am so happy to get this job as due to COVID I was made redundant twice in a year!! Looking forward to learning new things and being back in a team again.

If anyone is on the course in Bristol PM me would be nice to chat to everyone before hand.

Again thanks to all the posters who have answered loads of questions. You guys help a lot.

Last edited:

Saracen_83

Hi everyone. Apologies if this has been discussed before.
I want to confirm the 12hrs shift pattern for 3bridges ROC grade 7position: is it 3days early & 4 days night? Do they get a week off in between at any point?

Also do signallers at TBroc get any allowance e.g south east operational allowance, operational supplement allowance?

Thanks for your anticipated responses.

The shift pattern is standard for the roc and is below. 12 hour shift pattern, 0700- 1900-0700

S M T W T F S
O O O O N N N
N O O O D D D
O N N N O O O
D D D D O O O

All TBROC get LA outer and LAOS 2, worth about 200pm in total