• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Emz86

I've been invited to virtually interview next Wednesday! This has suddenly become very exciting and terrifying!
I have an interview that day too

The shift pattern is standard for the roc and is below. 12 hour shift pattern, 0700- 1900-0700

S M T W T F S
O O O O N N N
N O O O D D D
O N N N O O O
D D D D O O O

All TBROC get LA outer and LAOS 2, worth about 200pm in total
This post is super helpful! Shift pattern is a big consideration, nice to have seen it written out. Thank you x

Woody27

I got an email yesterday about Scotland interviews.
Scroll to the bottom of the screen if you haven’t got one it shows all the emails sent to you.
hi all, I check my email daily, as I’m sure you all do, but have just checked at the bottom of the page, on careers hub, and bingo! I’ve got Mail, I have 2 live applications, so the first email is inviting me to test, I have 72 hours to complete, unfortunately the email was sent on the 6th June! The second email, for different area, is saying, as I’ve past the tests within the last six months, I’m being put through to the next stage, and may be invited to interview. Do you think it’s worth dropping them an email to clear this up?

Railwayer

hi all, I check my email daily, as I’m sure you all do, but have just checked at the bottom of the page, on careers hub, and bingo! I’ve got Mail, I have 2 live applications, so the first email is inviting me to test, I have 72 hours to complete, unfortunately the email was sent on the 6th June! The second email, for different area, is saying, as I’ve past the tests within the last six months, I’m being put through to the next stage, and may be invited to interview. Do you think it’s worth dropping them an email to clear this up?
If it was me I’d definitely be dropping them an email :)

Woody27

Hi all,

Has anyone applied for the entry level in cardiff or park Junction? How long does recruitment take? Sat here everyday waiting for an e-mail :s
Hi Josh, I also applied for Cardiff park etc, been checking my email daily, but have just discovered they have emailed, however, it’s not gone to my normal inbox! After reading a response on this thread, I checked at the bottom of the careers hub, and had received an email on the 6th June inviting me to test!

CoachB

I got an email yesterday about Scotland interviews.
Scroll to the bottom of the screen if you haven’t got one it shows all the emails sent to you.
I got an email straight to my email and to my dashboard on Thursday for my Scotland interview. I've had to email them to ask if it could be moved as I'm away on holiday with my wife and kids. Hopefully we can work something out.

Signal_Box

Hi Josh, I also applied for Cardiff park etc, been checking my email daily, but have just discovered they have emailed, however, it’s not gone to my normal inbox! After reading a response on this thread, I checked at the bottom of the careers hub, and had received an email on the 6th June inviting me to test!

Be aware Park Junction will be closed by this time next year, those who already work there in the main hand jobs lined up.

Cardiff, I’d assume is a talent pool or pool signaller as NWR call it. You based on paper at Cardiff ROC for school admission purposes then expected to apply and secure a role once you pass the course.

gostin

I got an email straight to my email and to my dashboard on Thursday for my Scotland interview. I've had to email them to ask if it could be moved as I'm away on holiday with my wife and kids. Hopefully we can work something out.
I had to do my scenarios on holiday a few weeks ago borrowed a shirt and tie off someone that worked where we were.

CoachB

I had to do my scenarios on holiday a few weeks ago borrowed a shirt and tie off someone that worked where we were.
Nice! I know where I'm going the connection might not be reliable or fast enough for a live interview. I'd have to use my mobile data tethered to my laptop as no access to a wired connection. Last thing I want to do is waste their time by having a dodgy connection that keeps stuttering or dropping out.

BrummieBobby

Would any member on here who works at / has worked at / has knowledge of Rugby SCC mind dropping me a PM?

I have a couple of questions regarding the vacancy at the SCC that is currently on the internal list and don't want to clutter things up for prospective signallers on here.

headshot119

Established Member
Would any member on here who works at / has worked at / has knowledge of Rugby SCC mind dropping me a PM?

I have a couple of questions regarding the vacancy at the SCC that is currently on the internal list and don't want to clutter things up for prospective signallers on here.

You're better off asking the questions openly on this thread, Rugby SCC has popped up a few times on the external list so your questions may well help in the future.

BrummieBobby

You're better off asking the questions openly on this thread, Rugby SCC has popped up a few times on the external list so your questions may well help in the future.

Fair enough @headshot119

I was wondering:
1. The number of desks at RSCC and the exact areas they controlled. Are all desks Westcad?
2. Are all areas fitted with Axle Counters, or is it a mix of Axle Counters and Track Circuits?
3. Does anybody have a rough idea of the shift pattern and hand over times?

Thanks in advance.

headshot119

Established Member
1) Six Desks, Tring (Apsley > Leighton Buzzard), Bletchley (Leighton Buzzard >Wolverton), Northampton (Wolverton > shy of Hillmorton Jnc), Rigby (Hillmorton > north of Brinklow), Nuneaton (Brinklow > Athterstone / Polesworth), Trent Valley (Athterstone / Polesworth > south of Rugely Trent Valley). All desks are MCS not Westcad.

2) Predominantly axle counters, with a sprinkling of track circuits.

3) No idea sorry.

BrummieBobby

1) Six Desks, Tring (Apsley > Leighton Buzzard), Bletchley (Leighton Buzzard >Wolverton), Northampton (Wolverton > shy of Hillmorton Jnc), Rigby (Hillmorton > north of Brinklow), Nuneaton (Brinklow > Athterstone / Polesworth), Trent Valley (Athterstone / Polesworth > south of Rugely Trent Valley). All desks are MCS not Westcad.

2) Predominantly axle counters, with a sprinkling of track circuits.

3) No idea sorry.

Brilliant, many thanks.

Coppernob2014

Hi everyone, I'm back!
Got an interview next week for the Lincolnshire area signaller positions. 13 in total on the advert so I'm feel hopeful. Just wondering what the scenario assessment is like, I didn't have to do it the last few times I've applied and thought I'd ask on here before I dive in!

otter11

Hi everyone, I'm back!
Got an interview next week for the Lincolnshire area signaller positions. 13 in total on the advert so I'm feel hopeful. Just wondering what the scenario assessment is like, I didn't have to do it the last few times I've applied and thought I'd ask on here before I dive in!
If you do a search for ‘scenario’ on this thread there is lots of info about it.
In short you don’t need to prepare anything in advance but just think about the main priorities of a signaller (safety first etc) and then answer the questions with that in mind. It’s mostly common sense.

Seejwalker

Hi everyone, I'm back!
If by scenario assessment, you mean interview? Then this would be competency based questions.
I.e. name a time you’ve had to undertake a task without any prior training

The goal with these questions is to give a good scenario detailing how you approach situations, how you develop a process for dealing with them and what outcome you get as a result.
Don’t be afraid to highlight mistakes and how you learned from them.
This shows integrity and a willingness an ability to learn.

It’s worth learning Network Rails non technical skills, these will help you structure your answers.

Seejwalker

Thank you both, it was more for the pre-interview assessment but I still appreciate you answering Seejwalker!
Unless it’s changed in the recent years, it’s just some basic verbal and numerical reasoning with a situational judgment assessment which you’d have to be silly to fail.

otter11

Unless it’s changed in the recent years, it’s just some basic verbal and numerical reasoning with a situational judgment assessment which you’d have to be silly to fail.
It isn’t this any more. Now there is a series of 5 questions about being a signaller to which you have to record an answer using your webcam. Each is about a set ‘scenario’ which you have to deal with.

Seejwalker

It isn’t this any more. Now there is a series of 5 questions about being a signaller to which you have to record an answer using your webcam. Each is about a set ‘scenario’ which you have to deal with.
Oh really, that’s mad. I think it’s also route specific as to how they conduct interviews and whether there’s a mixture of internal and external candidates

Ryan94

Hey Guys,

I'm currently going through my second application for a Grade 2 position in Lincolnshire. I was unsuccessful with my first application and placed on the reserve list. The position closes next week so I'm currently sat waiting for testing and interviews.

Can any current serving Signallers give their opinion about the job and if Network Rail are a good company to work for? Is it easy to move to higher graded Boxes down the line? Do you get get much over time pay on top of your base salary?

I'm currently in the military and looking to leave. The role I currently do pays slightly more than the grade 2 role but I receive no extra overtime on top of what I earn. I would appreciate an honest summary of the job and work life balance if possible.

thanks
I'm in the same exact situation as you Kieran, done my first application while I was deployed and recently got back mid June, my tx date is January, hopefully land this so i can leave earlier! I've emailed the recruitment team to see if I need to redo my SST again as the results last 6 months I believe and I've been invited to an interview next week. Good luck on this application

KieranG110

I'm in the same exact situation as you Kieran, done my first application while I was deployed and recently got back mid June, my tx date is January, hopefully land this so i can leave earlier! I've emailed the recruitment team to see if I need to redo my SST again as the results last 6 months I believe and I've been invited to an interview next week. Good luck on this application
I've sent you a private message mate,

Good luck wth your application and keep me posted on how you get on!

Hi everyone, I'm back!
Hey mate,

I've applied for the same position, the best of luck to you. This is my second application so I can only give you my experience of the first Scenario based assessment i completed.

You have to be very clear and unambiguous with your explanation in your answer. The first question I had, you had to pretend to be a signaller in a box and pass a message to engineers to enter the track for a specific amount of time. You have to read the scenario and stick to the rules within the text. It's wierd talking to your camera and pretending but you get enough time to write down an answer, Also you dont have to start delivering your answer immidiately when the camera records. As long as you record your answer in the specific time given you're okay.

I found it easier as i progressed onto the 4th scenario and found it quite natural. best advise for you is to be as safe as possible and always put the safety of train and passengers first.

One of the scenarios you are multi tasking with a person that has trespassed on the track and you have to list which tasks you would prioritise. Everything you have to do is within the text and is explained verbally and in writing.

I hope you found this helpful and good luck!

Last edited:

Coppernob2014

I've sent you a private message mate,

Good luck wth your application and keep me posted on how you get on!

Hey mate,

I've applied for the same position, the best of luck to you. This is my second application so I can only give you my experience of the first Scenario based assessment i completed.

You have to be very clear and unambiguous with your explanation in your answer. The first question I had, you had to pretend to be a signaller in a box and pass a message to engineers to enter the track for a specific amount of time. You have to read the scenario and stick to the rules within the text. It's wierd talking to your camera and pretending but you get enough time to write down an answer, Also you dont have to start delivering your answer immidiately when the camera records. As long as you record your answer in the specific time given you're okay.

I found it easier as i progressed onto the 4th scenario and found it quite natural. best advise for you is to be as safe as possible and always put the safety of train and passengers first.

One of the scenarios you are multi tasking with a person that has trespassed on the track and you have to list which tasks you would prioritise. Everything you have to do is within the text and is explained verbally and in writing.

I hope you found this helpful and good luck!
Hi buddy,

Best of luck to you too! It's my second time as well, but didn't need to do this assessment first time round. Thank you for your response (and thank you to everyone else!) It's really appreciated. Hopefully I can pass this and the interview. Hope you do too!