• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeyFord

Im hoping something comes through today to confirm. I’ve already sent a couple of emails these past few weeks asking for an update so don’t want to sound like I’m mithering so now I’m patiently waiting :)
That would be nice, I've done the same no reply from the LOM, Recruitment say they're chasing it, even phoned the school at Bristol, fingers crossed we hear something soon.

Mega

Yes. I once had to meet my crossing keeper halfway(when there were no trains) to get paracetamol due to a serious headache. Since then, I have bought a pack & kept in my locker.
Not a current signaller but back in my days in the grade I always had Paracetamol, Ibuprofen and a couple of plasters (there will be some in the first aid box but it’s not worth the hassle cracking it open for a little cut on your finger, trust me) in my locker. There’s nothing worse than working a signalbox with a headache.

PTGRail

Your LOM will let you know when you start. Given that it’s Christmas you might just get to have a few days at home but you’ll also likely need to get all your admin sorted for a couple of days, horrific e-learning marathon for a day or two, spend a few days in your box having a look at how it all works. Killing time!
Thanks for this! I’m hoping to have Christmas free to spend time with my partner, but feel like I can’t be sure what they’ll ask for. I’ll do whatever they require though. This job means a lot to me! :)

i'm in the same situation that you are, start date 19th december so waiting until after 19th september to do the medical due to the 3 month validity of the d&a test, then york at the start of january, which training centre are you going to?
I’m going to be at Ipswich from the 3rd January. Think I’ll be on the TCB course but can’t be sure.

blake123

With the industrial action not looking at slowing up in the coming months, how would this affect a trainee signaller who may be on their IST? I’m due to get started next month and am slightly worried about how it might affect it.
Thank you!

Emz86

With the industrial action not looking at slowing up in the coming months, how would this affect a trainee signaller who may be on their IST? I’m due to get started next month and am slightly worried about how it might affect it.
Thank you!
I was wondering this?! When do we join the union? During IST or at the end? Assume if instructors are off we just have day off. Or if we are members we strike too?
Where is your course?im on Bristol from 12th , start on 5th x

Kraken

I was wondering this?! When do we join the union? During IST or at the end? Assume if instructors are off we just have day off. Or if we are members we strike too?

You join (or not!) whenever you like. Some people were members before starting IST, some joined during IST and some never joined at all - your personal choice.

Signal_Box

You don’t have to join any union, it’s not a closed shop. You can if you wish join on day one of employment either via payroll deduction or via the union of your choices website and direct debit.

I’d be careful striking even if your in a union during your first 6 months ie probation and definitely in school.

Is it worth casting a shadow over yourself so soon in your new career, I know ideal world it shouldn’t but we don’t live in an ideal world do we….

Exscrew

You don’t have to join any union, it’s not a closed shop. You can if you wish join on day one of employment either via payroll deduction or via the union of your choices website and direct debit.

I’d be careful striking even if your in a union during your first 6 months ie probation and definitely in school.

Is it worth casting a shadow over yourself so soon in your new career, I know ideal world it shouldn’t but we don’t live in an ideal world do we….
You are completely protected by law to strike from day 1.

Emz86

I didnt think it was a choice thing, if your in the union you have an obligation to do the right thing and support the union. I will join up, will be a sting taking pay cut on training wage , hopefully be resolved soon!

Signal_Box

You are completely protected by law to strike from day 1.

Indeed you are, only takes one manager to take a dislike and that’s your promotion gone.

I didnt think it was a choice thing, if your in the union you have an obligation to do the right thing and support the union. I will join up, will be a sting taking pay cut on training wage , hopefully be resolved soon!

20+ years of union membership before I left, don’t think they’ll be there for you. Its very much a location lottery as to if you get help or not and the quality of that help.

Paul88

Thank you!

I’m currently going through IST and our instructor is a union member and went on strike. Our class had the option to strike or to come in and revise and use the sim. However, our instructor did say that as we’re not officially working there’s no issue in telling our LOM that were sim working only - it’s a grey area. In our group some chose to go home or walk up to a picket line and some chose to use the time to jump on the sim and revise.

Hatty

Hi all, first time on this forum.

Ive applied for Grade 6 West Midlands signaller. Had an interview two weeks ago. Interviewer said they had another week or so of interviews and might be up to 4 weeks before any decisions are made. Anyone else going through these rounds of interview applications?

Reading through the advise has been very informative.

MikeyFord

Im hoping something comes through today to confirm. I’ve already sent a couple of emails these past few weeks asking for an update so don’t want to sound like I’m mithering so now I’m patiently waiting :)
Did you get your update this morning?

Robbo17

Might be different for you as you're Shrewsbury based but the Hereford details were starting on the 16th at Larbert!!
Was that the email you received or did you get a follow up call? It was the Hereford MOM that emailed me so I’m sure I’ll find out mine soon. Is it 16th September you’re starting? That’s a Friday if so.

MikeyFord

Was that the email you received or did you get a follow up call? It was the Hereford MOM that emailed me so I’m sure I’ll find out mine soon. Is it 16th September you’re starting? That’s a Friday if so.
Email from Hereford LOM and then spoke by phone, 16th was the date he's been quoted like you say strange as courses normally start on Mondays, sounds like folk are being sent all over the country at the moment as IST places are at a premium there are 4 of us from Hereford area on this course.

Robbo17

Email from Hereford LOM and then spoke by phone, 16th was the date he's been quoted like you say strange as courses normally start on Mondays, sounds like folk are being sent all over the country at the moment as IST places are at a premium there are 4 of us from Hereford area on this course.
I’ve just had the call, I’m on the same course, he said it starts on the 19th. Will you go home every weekend with it being so far?

MikeyFord

I’ve just had the call, I’m on the same course, he said it starts on the 19th. Will you go home every weekend with it being so far?
19th would make sense, I'll probably come home every other weekend I used to do that commute and on a Friday you're probably looking at 6 and half hours to get home with the traffic

Robbo17

19th would make sense, I'll probably come home every other weekend I used to do that commute and on a Friday you're probably looking at 6 and half hours to get home with the traffic
I think I’ll go home every weekend but probably take the train. Unless anyone was up for taking it in turns car sharing