• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JMH77

Ok thanks for clarifying that. The grade 8 West Hampstead is out again so maybe they didn’t have enough successful candidates. It’s really frustrating to see a job advertised again that I think I’m more than capable of doing but being unable to apply because I didn’t meet the standard on the assessments. I would love some feedback on this.

I know what you mean. I'm still not completely clear on what the outcome of my online tests was. This is what I received from Network Rail:

"Thank you for completing the selection testing for the above position. Unfortunately on this
occasion you did not meet the required benchmark for this role therefore we will not be
progressing your application."

I know I'm possibly clutching at straws but I still think it's open to interpretation whether that refers to that specific application or the role in general and HR's replies to my questions were still a little bit ambiguous. My assumption is that there is a benchmark score that has to be reached for each grade. It would be helpful if the rejection letter stated that although unsuccessful your scores were good enough for grade x so you knew whether to re-apply for other positions.

SignallerJohn

Hello all,

I have an interview on the horizon (as an external candidate) and this site has proved invaluable as a friendly source of information and help, for which I would like to say thankyou!
I'm obviously really keen to be successful at interview and understand that the questions will mainly be based on the 8 non technical skills..... I've read quite a few interview tips on this site, dating back quite a few years but I was wondering if anybody who has been up for interview in the recent past has any further advice or guidance?
How much will I be expected to know about my signal box?
I haven't been for an interview in over 20 years so it's fair to say I'm a bit out of touch with the world of interviews:oops:
Did you have an interview yet then? Or is it a while away?

Southernsig

Congrats mate! Seems the April signalling school is now full then. Looks like May is the next available one and already filling up
They really should work on getting more facilities open in order to put more courses on. Its a bit of a joke when ylu have to wait upwards of a year sometimes for an extrrnal candidate to be competant in their position. Not only does it make the game of backfill a nightmare meaning you can wait an age to be released into a new role but more importantly it leaves severely short staffed lines with the prospect of operating of of a bare bones roster for way too long!

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Best of luck Sinistah. Get your app in!

Haslemere is just a little bit too far away for me. I'm hoping to hear in the next few weeks if I have been lucky enough to get an interview for the Arundel roles posted a few weeks back. It closed internally on the 13th according to Nom de Guerre - about a fortnight after the external closing date.

Assuming internals still have to sit the tests (if applying for a higher grade position?) then in around a week's time NR HR will hopefully be passing the list over to an LOM to review and decide who they want to talk to.

Negitive, current competent Signallers only have to complete the application form externals do, then your called go interview - no assessments at all.

Saracen_83

Signaller grade 9 at Wimbledon just come up on NR site.....

Any information on this role/box/station?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Signaller grade 9 at Wimbledon just come up on NR site.....

Any information on this role/box/station?

Grade 9, receipt of inner London circa £3000 on top I think.

Expect to earn circa £55,000 with booked Sundays and Nights, before special days and additional Sunday/RDW.

A very very very busy location though !

Saracen_83

Thanks for all that mate, what’s the roster, 8 or 12 hr?? Sample shift rota?

I Don’t mind busy, makes the day go quicker!!! Presume NX panels??

Last edited:

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

NX style yes I believe, no idea on roster I’m afraid. The Southern is a bit weird they seem to have a mix of straight 12 or 8 with some mixed 12 and 8.

Saracen_83

Thanks Tom, I hope it is a 12 as I would be commuting about an hour to get there, so a 12 would be better for me and also hopefully ensure i travel out of rush hour times too!!!!!

Can anyone confirm and/or give me a sample rota??

Also when/if it is being relocated, will it be Basingstoke or TBROC??

Last edited:

Fore right

When did you have your interview and then medical Mitch/Danny ?

I’ve got my medical on Monday (19th) then I think a may start. ( all being well ! )

Dannygee

I’ve got my medical on Monday (19th) then I think a may start.

Interview 21st November, phone call from my LoM 22nd advising i was successful, then the whole HR, formal offer process, think I had my medical early December, but cantc be 100% sure.

Dannygee

Interview 21st November, phone call from my LoM 22nd advising i was successful, then the whole HR, formal offer process, think I had my medical early December, but cantc be 100% sure.

I lied just checked my calendar, interview 2nd November, job offer on the 3rd etc etc

Fore right

Cheers. Similar sort of time span.
Says an hour and 20 for the medical ? Are they going to open me up and look inside ? :)

I’ve got my medical on Monday (19th) then I think a may start. ( all being well ! )
interviewed 28/09, pre-offer email 26/10, official offer email 27/10, medical 15/11, received my start date 30/11.

nom de guerre

NX style yes I believe, no idea on roster I’m afraid. The Southern is a bit weird they seem to have a mix of straight 12 or 8 with some mixed 12 and 8.

Yes, NX. (Might be worth bookmarking this site ;))

AFAIA it's a standard 8hr roster, i.e. 8h shifts Mon - Sat; 12h Sunday turns. (Never heard of straight 8s...)

Saracen_83

Thanks for that nom de guerre, really is appreciated!

Sad it 8s, as with a hr commute each way, would make it very hard.... 12 would suit better with that length commute

RossB

I know I am starting on 3rd April and exchanged a few messages with others so have a vague idea of what might happen on week one but nothing concrete or anything after that,

I think I will send an email on Monday to ask the question if I don’t find anything out by the weekend.

Hi,

Apoligies I've not read through a lot of this thread. Where are you starting on 3rd April?

I'm starting 3rd April, signalling school the following week at Basingstoke I was told last week by HR.

Thanks

Ross