• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Saracen_83

CVs will be consulted at the interview stage primarily.

When you fill out the first 70 questions when applying for a signaller role, each answer of yes will give you a point, every time you answer no, no point awarded. The people with the highest scores pass the automatic sifting and will be sent online assessments. Again, the top percentage will then be sifted for interview selection.

Your online tests add to that score as well

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Malc77

I have just seen Signaller grades 2,3 and 4 advertised for Norwich area. At the bottom of the advert it states fixed term opportunity. I note from MR website that Colchester will take over signalling from Spring 2019. Ignoring the fact I have been unsuccessful in my applications to date, is the likelihood you will transfer to this centre and be offered permanent or is the fixed term in this case as someone else mentioned due to the 12 month apprenticeship. Thanks all

Cavan

The fixed term means fixed term. All signaller jobs as an external involve the apprenticeship. See ads for perm positions.

nom de guerre

Remember, once you're inside the tent you'll have access to the internal list. So even if all the 'new' jobs at Colchester are allocated to existing Wherry Lines signallers, you'll be able to apply for an alternative role - choosing from a much larger selection than the external list.

It costs the company thousands to put a trainee through school, so they won't want to throw away their investment after one year.

Sugarpuff

When unsuccessful is ‘More suitable candidate identified’ a generic reason they give or do they give other reasons? ‘More suitable candidate identified’ sounds like internal staff with signalling experience are being put forward to me.

Malc77

Remember, once you're inside the tent you'll have access to the internal list. So even if all the 'new' jobs at Colchester are allocated to existing Wherry Lines signallers, you'll be able to apply for an alternative role - choosing from a much larger selection than the external list.

It costs the company thousands to put a trainee through school, so they won't want to throw away their investment after one year.
Thnaks very much makes sense

SmokeAndJoe

When did you go to Signalling School?
When I went we did the AB Course first and then a weeks TCB conversion/additional course.
Fairly recently. That's often not the case now though, you can do the AB with conversion, NX TCB, or VDU TCB course.

Last edited:

Saracen_83

Canterbury grade 3, presuming single manned, lever frame 8 hour shifts, 12 sundays?? (Checked signalling photos but only had shots of outside!!)

Any chance of it closing in CP6? I can find specific projects for cp6 just overviews!

GingerRH

I work TCB with levers and also has bells. Only touched on AB rules while in signalling school.

Thought as such.

To go from TCB to an AB method of signalling you have to go back to school and redo the course unfortunately.

Haslemere if it’s wessex? ;)

Cavan

The grade 3 canterbury job is the "wye area control centre" - I didn't think this was actually in the Canterbury west box?

Cavan

Thought as such.

To go from TCB to an AB method of signalling you have to go back to school and redo the course unfortunately.

Haslemere if it’s wessex? ;)

So someone comes in an as external, works in an IECC for a few years then has a burning desire to work at Blea moor they have to re-do signalling school?

GingerRH

So someone comes in an as external, works in an IECC for a few years then has a burning desire to work at Blea moor they have to re-do signalling school?

That’s my understanding yes.

The methods of signalling are completely different and total different rules apply.

nom de guerre

The grade 3 canterbury job is the "wye area control centre" - I didn't think this was actually in the Canterbury west box?

Ta. Should have checked the external list before posting.

In which case... instead of the lovely 1901 SE&CR signal box at Canterbury West, it's the rather less romantic CWACC (Canterbury Wye Area Control Centre) - essentially a glorified portacabin, situated a few yards away in CW's car park.

Also G3, single-manned, 8h and no plans for closure during CP6.

Saracen_83

Ta. Should have checked the external list before posting.

In which case... instead of the lovely 1901 SE&CR signal box at Canterbury West, it's the rather less romantic CWACC (Canterbury Wye Area Control Centre) - essentially a glorified portacabin, situated a few yards away in CW's car park.

Also G3, single-manned, 8h and no plans for closure during CP6.

Thats my bad, I didn’t put that it was the Canterbury wye are control Center!!! And just put Canterbury!! Apologies!

That’s a pity, that box looks very rustic!!! What’s the control panel in the porter cabin? Still lever frame??

High Dyke

Established Member
And due to the new apprenticeship rules which came in, late in 2017. A signaller must complete 12 months before they can apply for other positions. It's to stop people getting a grade 2 job then applying internally for a grade 8 job for example and jumping ship. This way the hiring manager gets a minimum of 12 months from you as a signaller
Even in the past local management could apply what was known as the '52 week rule' to prevent staff moving on, especially if they were moving to a different area/region. A lad that started after me found that out when he turned down a job for a new signalling panel, but then applied to move a to a different job and got held back by the local manager.

choochoobacca

Is anybody able to point me in the right direction to find a diagram/map of the area of control for a signal box?
I keep trying to find the area of control for various PSBs and despite trawling through lots of enthusiasts sites, lovely panel photos, the Network Rail site etc I have yet to find a straight forward description. Likewise for what actual lines run through an area.
Any pointers would be very much appreciated...
Many thanks

Sunset route

Is anybody able to point me in the right direction to find a diagram/map of the area of control for a signal box?
I keep trying to find the area of control for various PSBs and despite trawling through lots of enthusiasts sites, lovely panel photos, the Network Rail site etc I have yet to find a straight forward description. Likewise for what actual lines run through an area.
Many thanks

https://www.trackmaps.co.uk/ Is a useful point of call, although you will need to get up to speed on the various closures.

jdxn

Many thanks

Sunset has given a good source. Another is looking at the sectional appendix. Big long documents but the track plans in the middle show not only the box, but what workstation/panel a section of line is on. The Sectional Appendix are live documents but PDF uncontrolled copies are uploaded to the website and are normally pretty up to date. Last updates in March 18. It also shows what the lines are called, speeds and point layout.

http://archive.nr.co.uk/browseDirectory.aspx?root=&dir=\sectional appendix\Sectional Appendix full PDF copies

Sinistah

If it’s a specific box your after why don’t you try visiting the box and asking the signallers. I’ve visited a few boxes and have learned a lot from each visit

choochoobacca

https://www.trackmaps.co.uk/ Is a useful point of call, although you will need to get up to speed on the various closures.
Sunset has given a good source. Another is looking at the sectional appendix. Big long documents but the track plans in the middle show not only the box, but what workstation/panel a section of line is on. The Sectional Appendix are live documents but PDF uncontrolled copies are uploaded to the website and are normally pretty up to date. Last updates in March 18. It also shows what the lines are called, speeds and point layout.

http://archive.nr.co.uk/browseDirectory.aspx?root=&dir=\sectional appendix\Sectional Appendix full PDF copies
If it’s a specific box your after why don’t you try visiting the box and asking the signallers. I’ve visited a few boxes and have learned a lot from each visit

As always, many thanks chaps. Big help and exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for. Many thanks!

Adamski

Hi all, I recently applied for a grade 2 and grade 3 position, I've been invited to complete online assessments for both. Am I right in thinking that I would only get one go at it as they keep a record of your score? (good or bad)
Would the grade 2 assessment be easier than the grade 3 or are they the same?

TIA guys.