• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cavan

Quite a range of external jobs out there at the moment: Manchester ROC (not seen this advertised externally before), Lostwithiel relief, Lancing (again), WASC G9 (x2)..............

Malc77

Quite a range of external jobs out there at the moment: Manchester ROC (not seen this advertised externally before), Lostwithiel relief, Lancing (again), WASC G9 (x2)..............
is Lancing on south coast near Worthing ?

JMH77

Not sure as the results last 12 months app so that’s not good. I should start practising really via the shl website to sharpen the brain.

The results count for 12 months but as I understand it you can apply to re-take the tests after 6 months. I'm not sure what that entails but I'm getting close to the 6 months so hopefully something suitable will come up not long after and I will contact HR and see what is required.

Cavan

The results count for 12 months but as I understand it you can apply to re-take the tests after 6 months. I'm not sure what that entails but I'm getting close to the 6 months so hopefully something suitable will come up not long after and I will contact HR and see what is required.

Let the forum know if you get an answer from hr on this as several people have wondered about this recently. The letters say 12months but the adverts 6.

Adamski

Aha ok, fingers crossed.

FManc

I applied for Manchester ROC yesterday and I've got an email today to invite me to do 2 online tests (numerical and verbal ability). If I was to get through this stage and get through to interview, would I sit anymore tests? Or is it just the interview?

slidingdoors

Are there not other tests though? I'm sure on this thread (too long to check again!) it mentions something about finding symbols on a map.. Or is this part of the interview stage?

Davey W

A quick question about rostering and the role of the relief signaller, please. I understand that it is all different each week and has the ability to change, but if you need a day off in July(using this example as it is a couple of months away), can you request to not be rostered that day, or do you need to take it as holiday? Or does it really depend on your relationship with the roster clerk?

TRain87

A quick question about rostering and the role of the relief signaller, please. I understand that it is all different each week and has the ability to change, but if you need a day off in July(using this example as it is a couple of months away), can you request to not be rostered that day, or do you need to take it as holiday? Or does it really depend on your relationship with the roster clerk?
You know what days you are working as a relief, but not what shift. So you can check to see if you're scheduled to work that day
, years in advance... But if you are it could be early, late or night. If you are down to work, just book it off as holiday, or if you're really nice to your roster clerk and you have an event in the evening, you can ask nicely to be given an early shift that day and as a fail safe say if early isn't available I'll take the day as annual leave... But you have to be REALLY nice

TRain87

My roster clerk is very good at her job. I don't mind doing favours for her, as I know she will help me out, as and when I need her

Highlandspring

Established Member
As per the other reply above you’ll know whether you’re booked to work that day but not what shift you’ll be working, so you need to apply for a lieu day or annual leave. Officially you don’t find out whether or not you’ve got it until the final roster for that week is published at 1200 the previous week, which isn’t idea for planning to say the least. Some roster clerks appreciate that and are able to let you know much sooner than that whether or not you’ll be off, while others won’t.

According to the NRPs you are only supposed to be rostered nightshift into an annual leave or lieu day as a very last resort and then only if you agree to it; again some roster clerks are more proactive than others when it comes to this so if you have one of these roster clerk who doesn’t see anything wrong with it, you’ve got something really important to do that starts in the morning and you need to be fully rested for, you need to take the previous day off as well to guarantee you won’t be given a nightshift finishing on the morning of your annual leave day.

The old perennial favourite is the “I’m going away abroad for a few days so I only want the time off if I can get all three days, just two is no use to me” - most roster clerks I’ve been under have understood this and done their best to accomodate it but there was one who was of the opinion that if you’d applied for leave then you must take it regardless. Meaning in this situation if the roster clerk could could only cover say Monday and Wednesday but not the Tuesday in the middle then she wouldn’t let you cancel the two days either side and you’d be forced to take them even if your holiday plans had already been ruined. Thankfully I’ve only come across this interpretation once although the situation is very common.

Apparently some areas work a system where you’re assumed to be available to work overtime on your booked days off unless you tell the roster clerk otherwise, and they’ll roster you for rest day working without specifically asking whether or not you want to do it. If you work in one of these areas then you’d need to let your roster clerk know well in advance that you’re not available to work that day.

As a relief the roster clerk has the power to make your life very hard indeed so keeping them onside is always a good idea. However you need to know exactly what they can and can’t do in terms of rostering and stand up for yourself when you’ve not been treated fairly or correctly; no one else is looking out for you

Omega

Hi guys,

First off, I apologise if this is the wrong section! I'm hoping someone can give me some pointers on the signaller application form. I have a CV ready to go and my work history filled out already. I now have to answer a list of yes/no questions regarding my experience and go into further detail if my answer is yes. There isn't an option to "save" as you progress through the list so I'm going to sit down tonight and get it all filled in. My concern is that I might be giving more detail than they are after. Has anyone here got through this stage with very brief examples for each experience point? I'm thinking I'll put the reader off by giving too much information but I don't want to short change myself if that makes sense.

Thanks,

James

Cavan

write your answers out in word then copy and paste them in - otherwise the form will time out.

Termy

Hi guys,

First off, I apologise if this is the wrong section! I'm hoping someone can give me some pointers on the signaller application form. I have a CV ready to go and my work history filled out already. I now have to answer a list of yes/no questions regarding my experience and go into further detail if my answer is yes. There isn't an option to "save" as you progress through the list so I'm going to sit down tonight and get it all filled in. My concern is that I might be giving more detail than they are after. Has anyone here got through this stage with very brief examples for each experience point? I'm thinking I'll put the reader off by giving too much information but I don't want to short change myself if that makes sense.

Thanks,

James

Hey James.
I personally wouldn't worry about the level of detail that you go into for these questions, I think they'd like to get a good overview of where your experiences lie and what kind of situations you've had experience with. So the more detail the better, I think!

On the other hand, I've only given one example in my answers recently, and I am waiting for the results of the Online tests which are the next step after application. :) I did put fairly detailed answers for the examples though, including reasons for why I think they link to the asked competencies.

Good luck with your application! I wish you the very best.

*Disclaimer: This post is entirely based on my own experience. Your experience, and the experiences of others might differ, and others might also have other opinions. I definitely don't speak for Network Rail or it's recruitment team at all.*

Dispatcher999

Quick question everyone with more experience on here. Is it worth applying for signaller posts that are 6 month secondments or 18 month fixed term contracts for example? Seems crazy for NR to put you through such extensive training only to be out of the job a short time after. Are you likely to be redeployed or would you have to apply for future positions? Just wondering whether it’s a good way to get my foot in the door. Cheers

Omega

Thank you very much for the advice guys. I'll admit I'm struggling with this application. My lack of job hunting experience is letting me down a bit I think. I'm going to try to give one specific example for each experience point. My CV will hopefully cover my more general experience.

Cavan

Quick question everyone with more experience on here. Is it worth applying for signaller posts that are 6 month secondments or 18 month fixed term contracts for example? Seems crazy for NR to put you through such extensive training only to be out of the job a short time after. Are you likely to be redeployed or would you have to apply for future positions? Just wondering whether it’s a good way to get my foot in the door. Cheers

Are you wondering specifically about Manchester roc? It does say one perm and one 6 month with the potential for perm.

Saracen_83

Same with the one in upper Holloway.... 6 month secondment, but would mean 3 months training, x months to pass out then does the 6 months start??? What happens at the end? Laid off? Or put somewhere else??

Dispatcher999

Are you wondering specifically about Manchester roc? It does say one perm and one 6 month with the potential for perm.
Any of them really.. what happens when the time is up. Surely they would redeploy rather than recruit and train a brand new signaller ‍♂️

Cavan

I personally think 6 month secondments are for current signallers really. 18 month ftc would be okay for external if you were happy to re-locate if needed to another role.