• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Cavan

And as said earlier in thread you need to be looking for "application under consideration for assessment 2" then "invite to assessment two pending".

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Omega

I’ve kinda given up. My scores can’t be reset until August and I’m failing at application stage for grade 2 and 3 jobs. It was my SJT that let me down according to HR. Which is a real disappointment coming from an emergency service back ground. Lost opportunities for good jobs on my doorstep in Cambridge and Ely pretty much so I’ve started pursuing options as a driver with GA and also jobs for TFL and MTR/Crossrail. Might pick Signaller up again in the future if I don’t have any luck there. Best of luck all

I'm putting 2 and 2 together and possibly making 7 but are you a 999 call handler? Have you considered applying to be a Police Radio Operator instead? Their role is more similar to a Signaller and would make the application form a lot easier to fill out with quality experience in future. You might just find you prefer that job and stick with it anyway! 999 handlers definitely deal with some very testing calls but they don't really prioritise and manage like the radio operators do. If I hadn't failed the vetting I'd be doing it now instead of applying to be a Signaller.

Dispatcher999

I'm putting 2 and 2 together and possibly making 7 but are you a 999 call handler? Have you considered applying to be a Police Radio Operator instead? Their role is more similar to a Signaller and would make the application form a lot easier to fill out with quality experience in future. You might just find you prefer that job and stick with it anyway! 999 handlers definitely deal with some very testing calls but they don't really prioritise and manage like the radio operators do. If I hadn't failed the vetting I'd be doing it now instead of applying to be a Signaller.
Hey thanks, have been a call taker in the past yes but also have many years experience in dispatch and a few in control room management so know all about prioritisation, critical decisions and and radios. I think my application and answers to the 70 odd questions is bang on, it’s just my test result is clearly naff and therefore it’s really disheartening to be knocked back after every application. I don’t think my CV, questions or application in general is even getting looked at because of my Score :/ I’ll just wait to reset them in August and in the mean time not torutue myself looking at and applying for jobs in my area.

Malc77

Well I’m currently on my 12th application which I have just sent in and I passed the online benchmark etc and have had no interviews!!! That ranging from grade 3 roles to grade 9!! So my score must really be bad!

I think it case of keep applying and hoping for the best!

Good luck!!

Matt
I am in a very similar position. Passed the tests but no interviews. It’s hard no to be down about it, however from this thread persistence seems to be key. I also tweak the pre screen each time. Good luck

Saracen_83

I have improved my questions, my cv and my personal statement numerous times however from info on this thread, it all boils down to the tests scores.....

Which based on my previous applications are obviously not very high lol!!!

But like you perseverance is hopefully key and I’ll just keep plugging away!!

Omega

You'd think they would be a bit quicker at giving outcomes if it was just down to test scores. I imagine some people will get 100% on both of them though so it's a tough competition! I don't think my verbal reasoning one went particularly well.

Sinistah

Hey guys. Just got an invite to an assessment centre for a grade 3 secondment role. Any ideas on what to expect? It says there will be group exercises, cognitive tests and a panel interview

Sinistah

Considering have applied for a load of jobs and have had interviews before just wanted to know if they had changed the format back to assessment centres no
Hey guys. Just got an invite to an assessment centre for a grade 3 secondment role. Any ideas on what to expect? It says there will be group exercises, cognitive tests and a panel interview
w

leomc1627

Hi just reading through this forum and a lot off people have mentioned an assessment day I applied for a grade 2 signaller and have been moved straight to interview any ideas why

TRain87

Hi just reading through this forum and a lot off people have mentioned an assessment day I applied for a grade 2 signaller and have been moved straight to interview any ideas why
Assessment day was the old way, instead of the online tests... How the proper signallers got their jobs ;) lol. Good luck in interview

Trackboy

I have got the same email as well for 8:30 start 4th june. It says we will be their for 7 hours. I called the recruitment helpline but they were not helpful at all. Anything you found out?

Stigy

Established Member
I have got the same email as well for 8:30 start 4th june. It says we will be their for 7 hours. I called the recruitment helpline but they were not helpful at all. Anything you found out?

Hi, I'm confused by this, hopefully someone can shed some light? I've had colleagues take the online assessments for signaller, then interview, then job offer? I always assumed there'd be an assessment centre of some some as in your case, but it appeared not in certain roles? The roles ranged from Grade 2 to Grade 5 signaller.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
We used to be called for full on proper paper assessments, but they had so many people with them they changed it online tests only then interviews.

I’ve not heard of a assessment centre for signaller for some years.

TRain87

We used to be called for full on proper paper assessments, but they had so many people with them they changed it online tests only then interviews.

I’ve not heard of a assessment centre for signaller for some years.
I was in the last group to be called in for test, at Reading network rail offices, in 2016! Seems strange that they have started them up again. I'm guessing this is the 1st group of people doing it, so until they've done it - we won't know what it is. To those doing it, if it's anything like last assessment days they had, prepare for looking for landmarks on a map, concentration tests, hearing tests... All sorts lol

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Maybe they’ve realised the online testing is crap, and open to abuse.

The old system worked, originally valid for 10 years, but then dropped down to 3.

leomc1627

Hi does any one have any info on the grade two job up at bootle Cumbria shift patterns that type off thing

Cerebral

Just another person piping up to say a huge "thank you" to everyone who has added to this thread with hints and tips. I have just finally bagged a Grade 2 signaller role after a long application process and MANY applications and interviews.

Genuinely, I think the information on this site and particularly this thread, has helped me get over the line at long last. Just wanted to add my voice of encouragement to everyone to not give up and keep at it, if I can get there pretty much everyone can!

Sinistah

For those going to the assessment they will first do a group exercise. Testing communication skills I guess. They will then split us up. First group will have their interviews whilst the other lot do an attention test and multitasking test. Have no idea what they will be. Then lunch. After that the groups reverse and then its off home for the big regret and wait until you either get the nod or the unsuccessful. I couldn't get any more info than that guys. LOM didn't give much away

Seishin

Hi all, great thread with loads of useful info. Just been invited to interview in a couple of weeks for a grade 2. Excitement has turned to bricking it within a short space of time as I'm pretty desperate to get this job.

Sinistah

don't think so mate. I got an invite to an interview after the upper Holloway one and there was no assessment centre. HR said the LOM can opt to have it. Upper Holloway is not actually the only job that is up for grabs. There is about 3 of them so I guess the LOM was being smart in just getting everything done in one swoop.

Saracen_83

Does anyone have any information about Willesden carriage shed south?? From what I can gather it a lever frame box,

Does anyone know if it is still scheduled to be relocated to Rugby Roc in 2020??

Also what are the shifts patterns?? I found a thread back in 2011 I think it was, so was wondering if anyone had any idea?? One thread it said they were 8 hour shifts but had a local agreement for times and another stated they were looking to change to 12 hour shifts! But both of these were a fair few years ago!!! So was wondering if anyone had upto date knowledge of these??

Last edited:

uww11x

Anyone else sat on a few applications?

I currently have

Haydon Bridge Submitted 13/4/18 (Test Completed)
Low House 26/4/18 (Under Consideration, 2nd time)
Bedlington South 31/5/18 (Test Completed)

This waiting game is awful for the nerves lol.

Sinistah

Mate I’m sat as the reserve candidate should the successful candidate decline. The waiting game is tough.