• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cerebral

Mate I’m sat as the reserve candidate should the successful candidate decline. The waiting game is tough.

I was in the same boat for a previous interview I had. I eventually only found out after about 3 weeks when it went to "Unsuccessful" on the website. Did not get a phone call or email telling me, other than that!

Cavan

How did you know you were reserve? Did the lom call you? After interview it takes a few weeks for the system to catch up anyway. I wouldnt read much into it not going "unsuccessful" for a while.

choochoobacca

I was in the same boat for a previous interview I had. I eventually only found out after about 3 weeks when it went to "Unsuccessful" on the website. Did not get a phone call or email telling me, other than that!

I also managed to flirt with the lofty heights of being a reserve candidate, although it came to nothing ultimately. Was informed I was a reserve by email, although the application eventually simply turned to unsuccessful. Onwards! Plenty of applications in the pipeline ........... it's just a frigging loooooong pipe line!

Sinistah

Hopefully it goes well for me. Have a few interviews lined up so just got to focus on being the successful one and not the reserve. After all why would you decline a job that you worked your ass off to pass the interview for

choochoobacca

Hopefully it goes well for me. Have a few interviews lined up so just got to focus on being the successful one and not the reserve. After all why would you decline a job that you worked your ass off to pass the interview for

Are any of your interviews for West Hampstead or Wimbledon Sinistah?

Cerebral

How did you know you were reserve? Did the lom call you? After interview it takes a few weeks for the system to catch up anyway. I wouldnt read much into it not going "unsuccessful" for a while.

Same as choochoo for me, just an email stating they would like to keep you as reserve and to reply to the email to let them know its okay. I never got a call or another email about that vacancy it just turned to "Unsuccessful" on the website and that is it.

nom de guerre

After all why would you decline a job that you worked your ass off to pass the interview for

Maybe the first choice candidate has received more than one job offer...

I was the second choice for my first job - although no-one had told me - but the first choice (a former BR-era Grade F - the equivalent of a Grade 9 - who was returning to signalling) was also offered, and took, a job at one of the London boxes mentioned in the last few posts.

The LOM then emailed me and offered me the job.

Good luck all.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I was offered two jobs within 4 days of each other, the reserve chap for the 1st job I was offered took the job.

leomc1627

So interviewed Friday for a grade 2 position nerves are shot waiting for the out come how long have you guys generally waited to find out the outcome

Sinistah

My first interview sat for a month before I got unsuccessful. Another one went after a couple of days to unsuccessful. The general consensus is that you will here pretty quickly if successful. However there are some on this forum that have waited for a lot longer to find out they were successful. It just depends on the individual situation of the box your applying for and the urgency of the LOM

Suzuki04

Anyone else sat on a few applications?

I currently have

Haydon Bridge Submitted 13/4/18 (Test Completed)
Low House 26/4/18 (Under Consideration, 2nd time)
Bedlington South 31/5/18 (Test Completed)

This waiting game is awful for the nerves lol.

Hi uww11x, same boat here with a few applications in the area on the go, my application for Haydon Bridge just changed to unsuccessful today though and I just got the email confirmation. Have you heard anything yet? Fingers crossed for you

Last edited:

uww11x

Hi uww11x, same boat here with a few applications in the area on the go, my application for Haydon Bridge just changed to unsuccessful today though and I just got the email confirmation. Have you heard anything yet? Fingers crossed for you

Hi, I got the same with the generic, 'more suitable candidate found'

choochoobacca

Hi uww11x, same boat here, my application for Haydon Bridge just changed to unsuccessful today and I just got the email confirmation. Have you heard anything yet? Fingers crossed for you

Same for me regarding Hayden Bridge. Bit surprised to not even get to ‘application under consideration’ for that one, let alone interview.
Did anybody get to the basic ‘application under consideration’ stage? I’m beginning to think some of these roles have folk already lined up.

uww11x

Same for me regarding Hayden Bridge. Bit surprised to not even get to ‘application under consideration’ for that one, let alone interview.
Did anybody get to the basic ‘application under consideration’ stage? I’m beginning to think some of these roles have folk already lined up.

Application Under Review 12-Apr-2018 19:20:06

Application Accepted 13-Apr-2018 07:05:35

Application Under Consideration 13-Apr-2018 09:31:24

Test Completed 13-Apr-2018 09:59:48

Test Completed 13-Apr-2018 14:30:00

Application Unsuccessful 06-Jun-2018 10:42:45

I am thinking the same. Not sure why they are advertising stuff if internal folk are getting them.

Suzuki04

Straight to Application Unsuccessful with "more suitable candidate" for me too:

Application Under Review 07-Apr-2018 11:20:35
Application Accepted 09-Apr-2018 07:10:22
Application Under Consideration 09-Apr-2018 09:25:35
Invited to Test 09-Apr-2018 09:34:36
Test Completed 11-Apr-2018 22:40:48
Test Completed 12-Apr-2018 06:02:13
Application Unsuccessful 06-Jun-2018 10:42:41

Hopefully the grade 2 roles have less chance of any internal candidates lined up, if that is what is happening

t.gif

Cerebral

Hopefully the grade 2 roles have less chance of any internal candidates lined up, if that is what is happening

t.gif

They should have less but I had lost out several times to internal candidates, moving from other boxes that were closing down. Was always told I was pipped "by one or two marks" at the interviews in both cases! ;)

uww11x

Straight to Application Unsuccessful with "more suitable candidate" for me too:

Application Under Review 07-Apr-2018 11:20:35
Application Accepted 09-Apr-2018 07:10:22
Application Under Consideration 09-Apr-2018 09:25:35
Invited to Test 09-Apr-2018 09:34:36
Test Completed 11-Apr-2018 22:40:48
Test Completed 12-Apr-2018 06:02:13
Application Unsuccessful 06-Jun-2018 10:42:41

t.gif

Are you in for Low House and Bedlington?

Omega

I've got applications in with a few different companies / public services at the moment and they all seem to be following same trend. It's like they go through the whole recruitment process so they've always got people available and ready to go when a place comes up instead of waiting until they actually need someone.

Works really well for them I guess and it means they get to keep the best people on the hook but it's a bit harsh on the potential recruits. They should step up the pass mark and/or difficulty on the tests if they are getting too many applications. The current tests are too easy to show much difference between applicants. I imagine most people score near 100%.

Seishin

Also got the knock back for the vacancy at Haydon Bridge. Thought I might stand a chance as I've been called for an interview at a grade 2 box nearby.

Borocarl88

Hi Everyone,

Just out of curiosity, how long have people had to wait for a formal job offer from HR? I got the verbal offer from the LOM a few weeks ago, but still nothing on my file or any contact from HR. File still shows Assessment 2 complete.

Next question is, what happens if you have a holiday booked the same period as Signalling School, reason im asking is, Im getting married abroad in November, which I decalared in the interview, but as things arent progressing too quickly im starting to worry I wont make Signalling School by August.

Thanks in Advance.

TRain87

The formal offer can take weeks to come through. My first one did... I was told by LOM on 3rd December and formal offer came through mid January! The job is yours so be patient lol. As regards to holiday... If you declared it at interview then I suppose they have to honour it, but any leave during signalling school is hard to get. As for starting signalling school soon, I'm not sure about up north way - but Basingstoke is fully booked until 2019 now, so you may be in for a wait.

If I were you I'd get on with life, knowing you have the job and look forward to your wedding mate. Congrats on both fronts

Cerebral

With regards to Borocarl88's questions:

Mine fortunately has just gone very quickly. Got an email informing that I was successful at interview, mailed back the forms same day, got Formal Offer pack email two days later! Just had medical and it was less than a week since getting the Formal Offer pack email.

Will probably have a 6 month wait for a signalling school place now to make up for it. :lol:

Borocarl88

The formal offer can take weeks to come through. My first one did... I was told by LOM on 3rd December and formal offer came through mid January! The job is yours so be patient lol. As regards to holiday... If you declared it at interview then I suppose they have to honour it, but any leave during signalling school is hard to get. As for starting signalling school soon, I'm not sure about up north way - but Basingstoke is fully booked until 2019 now, so you may be in for a wait.

If I were you I'd get on with life, knowing you have the job and look forward to your wedding mate. Congrats on both fronts
Thanks for your quick reply, so it sounds like I shouldnt be too concerned just yet then? I dont have any luck with changing jobs, another company last year, I passed all tests and interviews and Medical and a group of us were told we will be starting the job in a couple of weeks, and 20 months later we are all still waiting, maybe I just like to know the Signalling job is definitely happening lol.

With regards to Borocarl88's questions:

Mine fortunately has just gone very quickly. Got an email informing that I was successful at interview, mailed back the forms same day, got Formal Offer pack email two days later! Just had medical and it was less than a week since getting the Formal Offer pack email.

Will probably have a 6 month wait for a signalling school place now to make up for it. :lol:

Thats great news, hopefully you will get into Signalling School soon!