• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Termy

I've applied for a position at London Victoria, listed externally as Grade 9. Sounds pretty exciting, from what I've been reading. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

flappy8

Does anyone have any feedback about the Situational Judgement Tests? Are they railway or safety related, or all the more standard ones about issues in the workplace etc?

8d3

Good morning, I'm hoping someone have a bit of knowledge about how Network Rail applications work.

I was just filling out an application for a Signaller post and I had a 70 question test to fill out. I completed the test and clicked Submit Test but there was nothing that made it clear if having completed the test that, that was the end of the application. There was nothing else to click on, it just took me back to the test, the only clickable buttons are Cancel and Summary at the bottom?

When I look at Jobs Applied for the job doesn't show up. Any idea? The closing date is tomorrow.

martin2345uk

Established Member
I did the same list of questions... It wasn't at all intuitive. I think I clicked summary then cancel. I definitely had to click cancel at some point, which then took me to a screen showing it was successfully submitted...

Termy

I did the same list of questions... It wasn't at all intuitive. I think I clicked summary then cancel. I definitely had to click cancel at some point, which then took me to a screen showing it was successfully submitted...

Yup, that does sound familiar. I was definitely thinking at the time how counterintuitive it felt hitting the Cancel button to finish the process...

8d3

Thanks for the replies... I'll have another go, I guess I might have to do it all again.

The jobs page seems to be down at the moment when you log in which is a tad annoying.

gradient

I've applied for a position at London Victoria, listed externally as Grade 9. Sounds pretty exciting, from what I've been reading. :)

I am quite jealous! Too far from home for me. Great opportunity though

Good luck with your application :D

fester1916

Hi all! I have made a few attempts at becoming a Signaller but to no avail. I have experience working in a variety of position from a council desk job to a industrial process technician. From reading through various forums there have been successful candidates that may have less 'life experience' as myself.

I was wondering if there was the possibility that I could send my CV and covering letter to someone who has had a successful application for advise? OR If they would be kind to give me an example of there own successful application? I would really appreciate any advise.

TomBoyd

Hi all! I have made a few attempts at becoming a Signaller but to no avail. I have experience working in a variety of position from a council desk job to a industrial process technician. From reading through various forums there have been successful candidates that may have less 'life experience' as myself.

I was wondering if there was the possibility that I could send my CV and covering letter to someone who has had a successful application for advise? OR If they would be kind to give me an example of there own successful application? I would really appreciate any advise.

I'll happily have a look mate. send me a PM

gradient

Morning all,

I noticed a few vacancies based in Warrington. Can anyone provide any information or post any pictures of the set-up at Warrington? They are grade 2 and 3 vacancies for areas in the vicinity but based out of Warrington.

Kind regards

Gradient

Bubble-woop

They're Monks Sidings and Fiddlers Ferry. Both individual boxes. Monks is a Grade 2 with some crossings I think. I assume the other role is to do with the power station!

gradient

Yeah I saw that. I guess I was misled by the fact that the advert went out of it's way to state 'please note this vacancy is based in Warrington'. I wondered whether, somehow, it meant that these were based at Warrington PSB??

Perhaps it specified Warrington because the names of the boxes are unusual and people may not have any idea where they're applying to! :D

Thanks for your help

rick2678

Very interesting information! Have they gone on the specify where the SubROCs are? Probably a little early in the plan for that.

I assume from your comment that it's decidedly unlikely to come in off the street in Manchester ROC then? I guess these vacancies are snaffled by internal candidates. Makes sense.

I will keep my eyes peeled for signaller vacancies. Nothing in my neck of the woods at the moment.

p.s. in truth, unintentional pun! :D

hi pal, signaller vacancies seem to come up and get taken down fast before you even see them. Where are u looking for these vacancies pal. take care Rick.

gradient

hi pal, signaller vacancies seem to come up and get taken down fast before you even see them. Where are u looking for these vacancies pal. take care Rick.

Hi Rick

I just look on the Network Rail website, that's it. Is there anywhere else I could be looking too?

I look every day at least a few times!!

:D

TomBoyd

Hi Rick

I just look on the Network Rail website, that's it. Is there anywhere else I could be looking too?

I look every day at least a few times!!

:D

There is not. Had Rick spared half a second to Google it, signalling jobs are only available via the NR website.

Signalling jobs usually go up (and come down) on wednesdays

gradient

Signalling jobs usually go up (and come down) on wednesdays

Let's hope today's the day then!

Update: Nope, not this week! :(
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It's gone very, very quiet on the signaller job front. Hoping there's a rush of new jobs listed shortly.

It's rather frustrating for those of us who are very keen to find something suitable!

Last edited:

verve76

Just regarding the post early in this thread about relocating for a role for 6 to 12 months and then applying closer to home via internal vacancies is this a realistic option? Eg I see there are jobs in Scotland and I have relatives near Edinburgh so could move there if necessary for say a year but home and my own family is near Manchester so would hope for a job near there eventually.

Last edited:

mac

Just regarding the post early in this thread about relocating for a role for 6 to 12 months and then applying closer to home via internal vacancies is this a realistic option? Eg I see there are jobs in Scotland and I have relatives near Edinburgh so could move there if necessary for say a year but home and my own family is near Manchester so would hope for a job near there eventually.

I know someone who got another job off the internal list nearer his home before he had finished at signalling school.

nom de guerre

Exactly what I did. Lodged with relatives for the best part of a year, before moving on.

TomBoyd

Just a warning: I've heard rumblings that this is changing, and some areas are trying to put time limits in place, even up to two years in one location before moving.

Termy

Just a warning: I've heard rumblings that this is changing, and some areas are trying to put time limits in place, even up to two years in one location before moving.

That makes sense, it is admittedly the location you were originally recruited for. There would have been a requirement for a person to be hired, and if you move elsewhere, that original position opens up again... Hmm.

BRblue

Yep I have those too not all areas but definitely some and at least 12 months from what I have heard.

Darbs

I believe this will be coming in. Think about it, it takes time to go through the recruit process, then time and a lot of money for 9 weeks at signalling school, class, hotels etc. Then time and money to pass out on each panel/workstation! I think some of the OM's and LOM's are getting a little annoyed lol! A similar situation with bus drivers, if First for example hire and train you to PCV then you have to stay for a minimum amount of time so they get the benefit of their time and financial outlay!

LAX54

Established Member
Very interesting information! Have they gone on the specify where the SubROCs are? Probably a little early in the plan for that.

I assume from your comment that it's decidedly unlikely to come in off the street in Manchester ROC then? I guess these vacancies are snaffled by internal candidates. Makes sense.

I will keep my eyes peeled for signaller vacancies. Nothing in my neck of the woods at the moment.

Probably most of the larger PSB / IECC's
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

In BR days you had to be at your 'first' box for a minimum of 12 months before you could apply to go elsewhere, even 'next door'

Sunset route

In our area more than half the recruits to our ROC (which is within spitting distance of our ASC) have come from outside the industry (off the street). No one within my ASC is showing any interest in working there until they have to under displacement. All of the workstations so far are below our grade so we would have to apply and take a pay cut to work in the ROC, so we stay put and wait for our turn in the ever slipping migration plan then move with the work for those who want to stay the others are hanging on for early retirement.

nom de guerre

Darbs said:
I think some of the OM's and LOM's are getting a little annoyed lol!

This. One LOM I visited recently - not too far from Sunset Route - is at his wit's end because so many of his new starters leave so quickly (despite assuring him, to his face, that they have no intention of doing so).

I think a year is fair.

All of the workstations so far are below our grade so we would have to apply and take a pay cut to work in the ROC

All those extra days off on a 12-hour roster though...

Some might consider that a fair trade-off for dropping one grade.

Sunset route

This. One LOM I visited recently - not too far from Sunset Route - is at his wit's end because so many of his new starters leave so quickly (despite assuring him, to his face, that they have no intention of doing so).

I think a year is fair.

All those extra days off on a 12-hour roster though...

Some might consider that a fair trade-off for dropping one grade.

12hr roster is a dirty word in some parts of the world lol, even those that might like the idea of a 12hr roster don't go much on those computer thingies or the sterile environment of the building to even consider dropping grades.

TomBoyd

I waited for a Grade 8 Station to open up before applying to a ROC. 12 hour roster. half the commute. I can't wait to be released!