• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

magillmagic

A guy I'm currently training with had applied for more than one position. He accepted a job, came to the training school, then in the 2nd week, recieved a phone call offering him another position.
He took the 2nd offer which was a grade higher and in a better location for him, and it was a position he hadn't even had an interview for.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

verve76

Hi all

Sorry I know this has been asked many times before and is difficult to answer but if you were employed at grade 3 (approx 30k) with all your enhancements for Sundays, nights etc what would be your annual pay then?

Also would say 2 overtime shifts per month often be available and feasible to do? Again what would this add per month?

Thanks

TomBoyd

Hi all

Sorry I know this has been asked many times before and is difficult to answer but if you were employed at grade 3 (approx 30k) with all your enhancements for Sundays, nights etc what would be your annual pay then?

Also would say 2 overtime shifts per month often be available and feasible to do? Again what would this add per month?

Thanks

Grade 3 I think is around 28-29k? Generally you can expect 10-20% on top of that with sundays and other shift allowances. Then the sky is the limit on OT. It all depends on what you can manage safely. I've done 13 day stints with 12 hour shifts in amongst that, and you can make tons.

Last year I made 50% extra on top of my base salary. Thats for sundays, nights and OT.

TRain87

Grade 3 I think is around 28-29k? Generally you can expect 10-20% on top of that with sundays and other shift allowances. Then the sky is the limit on OT. It all depends on what you can manage safely. I've done 13 day stints with 12 hour shifts in amongst that, and you can make tons.

Last year I made 50% extra on top of my base salary. Thats for sundays, nights and OT.

How much OT was that? And how often is OT available? I understand the amount varies up and down the country :)

Last edited:

nom de guerre

Grade 3 I think is around 28-29k? Generally you can expect 10-20% on top of that with sundays and other shift allowances.

Grade 3 basic is £29353. A G3 resident on an 8h roster will earn an additional c£8400 if they work all their rostered Sundays and nights (around 22% of basic). That's not including Bank Holiday pay, regional allowances etc.

How much OT was that? And how often is OT available? I understand the amount varies up and down the country :)

To give a rough idea, a G3 resident would need to work around 65 8h rest days/pa to increase their 'extras' total from 22% of basic to 50% of basic. Obviously, less shifts would be required if some were 12h, Sundays or Bank Holidays.

Last edited:

Evening all! Was just wondering if there is any sort of "training rate" as a signaller if you come in off the street? Or do you start the signalling school on the rate of the grade you applied for? I'm currently a conductor and would happily relocate for a signalling job, but I might just have to wait for something local as I'm not sure I could manage a potential pay drop along with all the costs of moving.

gradient

Hi 319362,

I'm not 100% certain, but this has definitely been asked before and I seem to recall that, during training, you are paid at one grade lower than the box you are being recruited in to.

I'm sure that one of our very helpful experts will confirm (or otherwise!) soon enough.

Cheers

gradient

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Hi 319362,

I'm not 100% certain, but this has definitely been asked before and I seem to recall that, during training, you are paid at one grade lower than the box you are being recruited in to.

I'm sure that one of our very helpful experts will confirm (or otherwise!) soon enough.

Cheers

gradient

You are correct.

NX

Confirmed during training, and until you pass out you'll be in the grade pay scale of the grade below.

I'll shortly be starting on grade 7, so until I pass out sometime mid next year I'll be paid grade 6.

We'll do 12hr turns, so I'm not going to be pushing to RDW or additional Sundays for a good while after I pass out that's for sure.

flappy8

Hi 319362,

Cheers

gradient

You are correct, but what I'm not sure about is whether you are paid that until you successfully finish signalling school, or have been successfully trained on your first workstation......

maps87

Hello,

I've got an interview soon and would love to visit the box first. HR were unable to assist me in giving me the contact details for the LOM, does anyone else know how I can get his contact details please?

Thanks

TomBoyd

Hello,

I've got an interview soon and would love to visit the box first. HR were unable to assist me in giving me the contact details for the LOM, does anyone else know how I can get his contact details please?

Thanks

try going to the box itself and having a word.

woblynne

You are correct, but what I'm not sure about is whether you are paid that until you successfully finish signalling school, or have been successfully trained on your first workstation......

Your 'training rate' is applicable until you are passed out in your box by your manager.
This is my own experience at a single manned location, not sure how it works in a ROC or similar.
Thanks
Mark

Sunset route

Your 'training rate' is applicable until you are passed out in your box by your manager.
This is my own experience at a single manned location, not sure how it works in a ROC or similar.
Thanks
Mark

In multi panel/work stations location it will be upon passing out for your 1st panel/work station as that is the point when you cease being a trainee and become fully qualified signaller.

Mikesig

Confirmed during training, and until you pass out you'll be in the grade pay scale of the grade below.

I'll shortly be starting on grade 7, so until I pass out sometime mid next year I'll be paid grade 6.

We'll do 12hr turns, so I'm not going to be pushing to RDW or additional Sundays for a good while after I pass out that's for sure.

Whilst you are training in the box (ie after completing signalling school) you usually work Monday to Friday - the roster will say 0900-1600, but that's fairly flexible - until you have been passed out. So there's no Sundays, Bank Holidays or RDW until you've passed out. You are paid the flat rate for the grade below that you will be once you've been passed out.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Whilst you are training in the box (ie after completing signalling school) you usually work Monday to Friday - the roster will say 0900-1600, but that's fairly flexible - until you have been passed out. So there's no Sundays, Bank Holidays or RDW until you've passed out. You are paid the flat rate for the grade below that you will be once you've been passed out.

Agreed.
I would suggest that it is worth going in on at least part of a night shift. The job can feel very different in the dark, especially in a mechanical box close to the track.

Mikesig

Agreed.
I would suggest that it is worth going in on at least part of a night shift. The job can feel very different in the dark, especially in a mechanical box close to the track.

That's why I said it was fairly flexible. Most LOMs would suggest what Llanigraham has said.

Sunset route

Or in some cases you work a proper rotating learners roster, which works through all the shifts including nights and weekends.

TRain87

Or in some cases you work a proper rotating learners roster, which works through all the shifts including nights and weekends.

Would you get allowences for that, or still keep you on lower rate as you're training? I have my assesment on 1st December....starting to become a little real from applying 2 months ago!

Sunset route

Would you get allowences for that, or still keep you on lower rate as you're training? I have my assesment on 1st December....starting to become a little real from applying 2 months ago!

At my location you the full works apart from your final grade which requires passing out, the same as the everywhere else.

gradient

Approximately how long after leaving signalling school does it take to pass out?

Mikesig

Approximately how long after leaving signalling school does it take to pass out?

Depends on a variety of factors. How quickly you pick it up, how difficult the box/workstation is to operate in terms of movements. regulating etc. and how soon your LOM is prepared to pass you out.
My fist box, which is fairly quiet traffic wise and does not do any regulating of trains took me three and a half weeks from finishing at signalling school to passing out.
In addition, if it's your first box you will also need to have a rules "test" with the OM which can sometimes be difficult to arrange depending on how busy they are.

signallerscot

Too many variables to give an meaningful answer to that. For a simple Up and Down Absolute Block box, perhaps a few weeks depending on how quickly you pick it up. For anything more complex, many weeks or months. You don't get passed out until you are definitely ready and it also depends on when your LOM is a available.

Training in the box is done by working under the supervision of the signaller(s) on duty; the signaller you're working with has ultimate responsibility for everything you do. When you're still a trainee the regime is usually very relaxed. No one is really interested in when you come or go as long as you're making some sort of effort. Typically most trainees I've encountered will sign on duty but 'forget' to sign off. What I usually do if the LOM phones looking for the trainee is to say "Oh he's just walked put of the door. Hang on I'll try to shout on him.... No he's in his car now..." even if he left hours before. As I say, it's pretty relaxed so no one will be too worried if you decide to go away for an hour for lunch and come back later. Take advantage of it while you can, being able to walk out the door whenever you feel like it is a priviledge you won't have soon!

Sunset route

Too many variables to give an meaningful answer to that. For a simple Up and Down Absolute Block box, perhaps a few weeks depending on how quickly you pick it up. For anything more complex, many weeks or months. You don't get passed out until you are definitely ready and it also depends on when your LOM is a available.

Training in the box is done by working under the supervision of the signaller(s) on duty; the signaller you're working with has ultimate responsibility for everything you do. When you're still a trainee the regime is usually very relaxed. No one is really interested in when you come or go as long as you're making some sort of effort. Typically most trainees I've encountered will sign on duty but 'forget' to sign off. What I usually do if the LOM phones looking for the trainee is to say "Oh he's just walked put of the door. Hang on I'll try to shout on him.... No he's in his car now..." even if he left hours before. As I say, it's pretty relaxed so no one will be too worried if you decide to go away for an hour for lunch and come back later. Take advantage of it while you can, being able to walk out the door whenever you feel like it is a priviledge you won't have soon!

To add to that if you are going straight to a PSB/ASC/IECC/SCC or a ROC the training is far more supervised than that as there will be SSMs on shift with you at all times and in most cases the LOM or LOMs are in the same building.

Cagey

Hi there, just a quick question...

Medical and references have been approved, so now just waiting on a start date. What's the frequency of signaller courses, and how many people are usually on them on average?

LimeStSte

Hi there, just a quick question...

Medical and references have been approved, so now just waiting on a start date. What's the frequency of signaller courses, and how many people are usually on them on average?

Hi, I had my medical 2 weeks ago and I've recently found out I will be starting at my box on the 16th Jan for 1 week as I am booked in school for the 23rd Jan.
Haven't been told where but I assume York. No idea if there are any courses before this but I imagine the Christmas period plays a part.

Cagey

Hi, I had my medical 2 weeks ago and I've recently found out I will be starting at my box on the 16th Jan for 1 week as I am booked in school for the 23rd Jan.
Haven't been told where but I assume York. No idea if there are any courses before this but I imagine the Christmas period plays a part.

Morning Ste,

WMSC per chance? I'm due to start at the same time mate, there's a course being run in Birmingham starting 23rd, so just a short commute from home :D

LimeStSte

Morning Ste,

WMSC per chance? I'm due to start at the same time mate, there's a course being run in Birmingham starting 23rd, so just a short commute from home :D

Monks Sidings in Warrington for me.
Maybe I'll be in Brum then, just the last 5 to leave our place for school have went to York. I'll drop my LOM an email on Monday to try and find out :)

Good Luck!

Definitely York for me.

Last edited:

LAX54

Established Member
To add to that if you are going straight to a PSB/ASC/IECC/SCC or a ROC the training is far more supervised than that as there will be SSMs on shift with you at all times and in most cases the LOM or LOMs are in the same building.

I work in a Grade 8 PSB, learners have their own 8 hour roster, (siggies do 12's) Monday to Saturday, then don't work Sundays until near the end of training.

NEVER EVER rush learning just to get the money, its not worth the risk ! Dont forget you have the lives of hundreds of people in your hands everyday.

Its always nice to be able to get into a lower graded box first, find your feet, undertstand how the Railway runs, and gain a good appreciation of the Rule Book and Regulations that surround our career, then move upwards :)

At this location, we are all manual panels / workstations, no ARS to help, we have 3 MCS w/stns (Computer / VDU based Signalling) and 2 NX panels, one of which is, or is very close to being the busiest NX panel in the Country on nights ! It takes the average internal applicant between 9 months and year to pass out.

Once in our grade, even though it can be annoying with paperwork etc, you will never want to have another job again ! And as others have said, everyday is different, and some maybe run of the mill, others very busy and stressful ! I became a Signalman in 1972, could not do a job in civvy street now ! :)

TRain87

Morning all!

With regards to the signaller role, I have seen one advertised with a fixed contract until December 2017 - if I were successful in this role, what would happen to me after December 2017?