• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AndyPJG

I used to work the 2 boxes on the Waterloo & City line,when l was RDR Signalman at Waterloo. The frame at the Waterloo end was very odd,it was raised up about 18-24" from the floor and the levers were half size,maybe a foot or so long..very odd indeed ! The Signalman's job at the Bank end,consisted of sweeping the platforms and travelators ! There was a small panel there that was set to automatic,and the late turn signalman would have to over-ride it, before the evening rush hour, to bring a second train into service. Happy Days ! Here's a pic l found of the box at the Waterloo end.

That frame is now at Cockcrow Hill SB on the Great Cockcrow
Railway
. It's a "knee"frame, with all the locking above the floor level.

Cockcrow Hill SB (picture taken while I was on duty there :D )

Last edited:

43021HST

Established Member
I used to work the 2 boxes on the Waterloo & City line,when l was RDR Signalman at Waterloo. The frame at the Waterloo end was very odd,it was raised up about 18-24" from the floor and the levers were half size,maybe a foot or so long..very odd indeed ! The Signalman's job at the Bank end,consisted of sweeping the platforms and travelators ! There was a small panel there that was set to automatic,and the late turn signalman would have to over-ride it, before the evening rush hour, to bring a second train into service. Happy Days ! Here's a pic l found of the box at the Waterloo end.

Another quirk of having to work down there was that the signalman,and l think, all the other staff that worked down there,had to walk the track from Waterloo to Bank,on a saturday afternoon,after the last train had gone,before the Area Insp would pass them out !!

That looks like my dream job, spending most of the day alone, underground. No customer service nonsense to worry about.

Although I'm surprised they kept the signalbox manned at Bank. When did the box close?

I'm now seeking to indulge my dream of being a manual box signalman, by doing it a preserved railway. Would this count as genuine experience to being an NR signalman, or is it like most other professions on the railway where you have to keep your railway enthusiasm secret.

Last edited:

flappy8

Afternoon all,

Anyone else struggling to log in to the shiny new NR careers site?

The login part of the site is the old one - that hasn't changed. It seems to work, but sometimes you have to clear your browser cache to make it work!

Donachie

Scotland Road Vacancies:

Received an e mail today stating all vacancies under this campaign are now filled !!

Last edited:

martin.g

Scotland Road Vacancies:

Received an e mail today stating all vacancies under this campaign are now filled !!
Same with myself Donachie.
Beginning to think these signaller jobs are fictional.
Have applied for 5, 3 of them came back saying no longer a vacancy.
1 ongoing and the Scotland one as mentioned

gradient

The login part of the site is the old one - that hasn't changed. It seems to work, but sometimes you have to clear your browser cache to make it work!

For some reason I can't login since the careers site updated. It says an unexpected error has occurred. Advises me to contact system admin. Which I've tried to do via the link but then I am greeted with a page saying access is forbidden. Its all a bit glitchy and strange.

Can anyone send me the system administrator email address?

Kind regards

Gradient

Mikesig

For some reason I can't login since the careers site updated. It says an unexpected error has occurred. Advises me to contact system admin. Which I've tried to do via the link but then I am greeted with a page saying access is forbidden. Its all a bit glitchy and strange.

Can anyone send me the system administrator email address?

Kind regards

Gradient

I've had this happen before too. Deleting the browsing history and cookies usually seems to correct it. Alternatively, on the few occasions where it didn't fix it, I used a different web browser and that seemed to work.

magillmagic

Week Three for us was just really heavy going in terms of content, everything thrown at us and very little time to digest before moving on to the next subject.
Looking back, it stands out as the big week, at the time it was hard work.

gradient

I've had this happen before too. Deleting the browsing history and cookies usually seems to correct it. Alternatively, on the few occasions where it didn't fix it, I used a different web browser and that seemed to work.

I've tried chrome and Firefox and cleared cookies on both. Still the same problem. <(

SmokeAndJoe

There are a couple of circuitous ways around this.

One is to search for a job, open the description, click apply for job and login from there.

Second is to revert back to the old site, which is at the bottom of the page, and that works too.

In general always open an incognito or private tab to login, which is like using a blank slate, as the cookies confuse the login system.

Muz333

Hi there, first post so please be gentle!

I recently applied for a position as a signaller at the Newtonhill box (grade 3) near Aberdeen, completed the SJT and have been called for interview next week.

What can I expect from this interview lasting approximately 45 minutes? Is this just the standard interview covering the non-technical skills? I was under the impression the next step would have been to complete additional online tests for numerical and verbal reasoning. I don't want to walk into the interview and be surprised by having to sit tests I'm ill prepared for!

For what it is worth I have previously just completed a PhD in Microbiology but fancied a change in career path as the pay, working hours (up to 100 a week) and temporarily contracts offered no stability in academia. Even less so now with how Brexit has affected funding.

Last edited:

fantaheed

Hi there, first post so please be gentle!

I recently applied for a position as a signaller at the Newtonhill box (grade 3) near Aberdeen, completed the SJT and have been called for interview next week.

What can I expect from this interview lasting approximately 45 minutes? Is this just the standard interview covering the non-technical skills? I was under the impression the next step would have been to complete additional online tests for numerical and verbal reasoning. I don't want to walk into the interview and be surprised by having to sit tests I'm ill prepared for!

For what it is worth I have previously just completed a PhD in Micrbiology but fancied a change in career path as the pay, working hours (up to 100 a week) and temporarily contracts offered no stability in academia. Even less so now with how Brexit has affected funding.

i had my interview late December and it was the 8 non technical skills questions so I was very prepared for them and it went well I was offered the job. you really need to show a lot of enthusiasm for the role and a willingness to work overtime, any questions just ask
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
for those who have been to signalling school already how was it broken down?

Was it 3 weeks then a week back at signalling box and that repeated on week 6 and 9? How often were the exams?
how did it work with expenses in evening for meal? did you pay the claim back or charged to room?

Thanks

Muz333

i had my interview late December and it was the 8 non technical skills questions so I was very prepared for them and it went well I was offered the job. you really need to show a lot of enthusiasm for the role and a willingness to work overtime, any questions just ask
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Was it 3 weeks then a week back at signalling box and that repeated on week 6 and 9? How often were the exams?
how did it work with expenses in evening for meal? did you pay the claim back or charged to room?

Thanks

Excellent, I can rehearse some examples for the non-technical skills and make sure I have a few facts on hand. I suspect it may be some time between an interview and hopefully attending signalling school!

signallerscot

The format of the signaller interview for external candidates is two or more overview questions about you and your understanding of the role, followed by eight questions on the non technical skills. These can be generic ("Tell me about a time you've...") or scenario based ("Imagine you're the signaller...") and will likely be a mixture of both types though you'll only be asked one question for each NTS.

The questions you'll be asked are selected before the interview from a big bank of similarly worded questions. The interviewers are provided with a score sheet that lists positive and negative traits and your answer is scored against these traits. They also have to make an assessment of your speaking and listening skills, though you won't be aware that they're doing this at the time.

In the event of a tied score each candidate's scores for the various NTS are ranked in the order Concientiousness, Planning and Decision Making, Relationships With People. It's also negatively scored, so if you score low on a particular NTS then points will be deducted from your overall score.

Oh, and signalbox names don't get the definite article; so it's "Newtonhill signalbox" not "the Newtonhill signalbox". It is quite a nice box, busy but not too busy and quite interesting to work as well.

Muz333

The format of the signaller interview for external candidates is two or more overview questions about you and your understanding of the role, followed by eight questions on the non technical skills. These can be generic ("Tell me about a time you've...") or scenario based ("Imagine you're the signaller...") and will likely be a mixture of both types though you'll only be asked one question for each NTS.

The questions you'll be asked are selected before the interview from a big bank of similarly worded questions. The interviewers are provided with a score sheet that lists positive and negative traits and your answer is scored against these traits. They also have to make an assessment of your speaking and listening skills, though you won't be aware that they're doing this at the time.

In the event of a tied score each candidate's scores for the various NTS are ranked in the order Concientiousness, Planning and Decision Making, Relationships With People. It's also negatively scored, so if you score low on a particular NTS then points will be deducted from your overall score.

Oh, and signalbox names don't get the definite article; so it's "Newtonhill signalbox" not "the Newtonhill signalbox". It is quite a nice box, busy but not too busy and quite interesting to work as well.

Thanks for the advice!

Mikesig

Thanks

I was at Signalling School at York last April, although I believe that the format has changed slightly since then and it has been extended by a week. At the time I was there it was a continuous course with no time back at your home location apart from the Tuesday following Mayday bank holiday. We had exams at the end of weeks 2, 4 and 8. The pass mark was 70%, however if you got between 60 and 69% you had what they called a "talk-up" where you had the chance to show that you knew the answer but just hadn't written it down in the way they wanted. Below 60% and it was down to your LOM as to whether you joined the next available course starting in the week after your last successful exam - ie if you passed week 2 exam but not week 4 you would start again at week 3 - or were shown the door. There was also a half day practical assessment on the simulator in week 9 although I believe that this did not affect the outcome of your course if you had passed all the exams. I understand that the pass marks may have been changed recently, I'm not certain but I think someone said they had increased them to 75%!

Breakfast and evening meals were included in the hotel booking so didn't need to be paid for. One person on my course did try claiming a meal they had outside the hotel one evening and got told he should have eaten the meal that had been paid for and would not be getting any reimbursement.

You will, no doubt, find the course difficult at times. There is a lot of content, but make use of your evenings with the others to go over what you have covered. Overall it's well worth being a "slave to studying" for a couple of months for the benefits once you are in the job for real!!

eriks

A quick - real salary question. Having gone through the various overtimes Sundays etc is it fair to assume that salary +25% is pretty accurate in a 12 hr ROC with no overtime other than Sundays?

If Sundays are overtime and 12 hour shifts 06/18 18/06 do you get 1.5x time for all the Sunday night shift, or 1.5x for 6 and 1.1 for 6 (ie Monday AM)

verve76

sorry I know this has been answered elsewhere but I can't find it! Can anyone tell me what a 12 hour rota would look like at one of the ROC over a monthly period?

nom de guerre

sorry I know this has been answered elsewhere but I can't find it! Can anyone tell me what a 12 hour rota would look like at one of the ROC over a monthly period?

Around here, an average four-week cycle is something like:

2 x standard weeks (three or four consecutive shifts, either all days or all nights)

1 x split week (three days, one RD, three nights)

1 x long weekend (ours is eight calendar days, but we finish on days and return on nights, so in reality it's nine).

Each block alternates between days and nights, with a minimum of three days' break between nights and days.

HTH?

Mikesig

It isn't a ROC but our 12 hour pattern is:

WEEK SUN MON TUE WED THU FRI SAT
1 D D D D RD RD RD
2 RD RD RD RD N N N
3 N RD RD RD D D D
4 RD N N N RD RD RD

D= Days (0600-1800)
N= Night (1800-0600)
RD= Rest Day

I believe that the pattern is fairly standard for 12 hour shifts although there are often local arrangements for changeover time. I'm sure someone on here said that some Scottish boxes did 1200-2400 as days and 2400-1200 as nights, others I know of do 0700-1900 and 1900-0700.

Last edited:

signallerscot

Mos (if not all?) 12hr boxes in Scotland work 12:00 - 00:00 and 00:00 to 12:00 but usually with domestic change over times. Some will change at 11:30/23:30, others at 11:00/23:00, some at 10:30/22:30, while Edinburgh SC changes at 07:00 and 19:00.

TRain87

Are there any relief signallers on? Would like to know the shifts you are currently working? I know we will receive shifts at short notice but just some sort of idea if there is any order to it? Due to start in March - pending medical

Sunset route

Are there any relief signallers on? Would like to know the shifts you are currently working? I know we will receive shifts at short notice but just some sort of idea if there is any order to it? Due to start in March - pending medical

As a GPR signaller you will have a fixed rest day and Sunday off pattern and that's about it. Then you work the box hours and shifts of the signalboxes that you work, covering the residents signallers annual leave, comp leave, briefing days and sickness cover as required.

TRain87

As a GPR signaller you will have a fixed rest day and Sunday off pattern and that's about it. Then you work the box hours and shifts of the signalboxes that you work, covering the residents signallers annual leave, comp leave, briefing days and sickness cover as required.

Thank you Sunset....so silly question and not sure how frequent it will happen, but what happens if there is no annual holiday, sickness, comp leave or briefing days?

Sunset route

Thank you Sunset....so silly question and not sure how frequent it will happen, but what happens if there is no annual holiday, sickness, comp leave or briefing days?

You will be shown as Spare on your roster.

And will be subject to clause 3.5 from The "National Rostering Principles"

3. 5​ Taking into consideration the difficulty relief/flexible signallers may have arranging family commitments etc. a minimum of 48 hours notice should be given when changing their turns of duty which are published on the weekly roster.

It would be a good idea once you've joined the Union to download from their website the "1994 Agreement", the "2001 Agreement", the "National Rostering Principles" and the "1997 Rates of pay and conditions of service" (the green book).

Last edited:

TRain87

You will be shown as Spare on your roster.

And will be subject to clause 3.5 from The "National Rostering Principles"

3. 5​ Taking into consideration the difficulty relief/flexible signallers may have arranging family commitments etc. a minimum of 48 hours notice should be given when changing their turns of duty which are published on the weekly roster.

It would be a good idea once you've joined the Union to download from their website the "1994 Agreement", the "2001 Agreement", the "National Rostering Principles" and the "1997 Rates of pay and conditions of service" (the green book).

Already had email sent to me by union rep - I have asked for stuff to be sent to me via post to read over, while I wait for start date :)

Llanigraham

On Moderation
It isn't a ROC but our 12 hour pattern is:

WEEK SUN MON TUE WED THU FRI SAT
1 D D D D RD RD RD
2 RD RD RD RD N N N
3 N RD RD RD D D D
4 RD N N N RD RD RD

D= Days (0600-1800)
N= Night (1800-0600)
RD= Rest Day

I believe that the pattern is fairly standard for 12 hour shifts although there are often local arrangements for changeover time. I'm sure someone on here said that some Scottish boxes did 1200-2400 as days and 2400-1200 as nights, others I know of do 0700-1900 and 1900-0700.

Same as my old Box, and most of the others on the Marches line. All subject to "unofficial domestic" arrangements of course!