• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Danny21212

They are about RT3180 line blockages (they haven't been called T2s; at least not officially; for some time now; so if I were you I'd start referring to them as simply line blockages from now on; on the "application form" anyway)

Thanks for info pal. One last question do they prefer short and direct answers or long detailed essays

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lasbrisas

Feltham was up recently, but I needed to play around with the job search for it to come up. Both are still up, to get Feltham, do a job search for signaller, without typing in postcode and distance. About 10-15 vacancies will show up. Feltham is the last one.

Latest update:
My Didcot application is being considered for interview as well. Here's hoping... ��

Thanks mate, I wonder why they didn't show in my email notifications.

Dom68

Just thought I'd add my application journey and stages I've been through so far in that it may help others who are thinking of applying or have just done so and wanted an up to date idea of what to expect, although I'm not even at interview stage yet but remain hopeful..

Application Under Review 13-May-2017 15:10:39
Application Accepted 15-May-2017 07:11:36
Application Under Consideration 15-May-2017 13:13:17
Invited to Test 15-May-2017 14:42:12
Test Completed 18-May-2017 12:03:01
Test Completed 18-May-2017 18:06:16
Application Under Consideration 22-May-2017 15:29:27

Jammer97

This is my application so far. Does anybody know how long I'll be waiting to get a reply?
Test Completed 04-Mar-2017 18:31:48
Test Completed 06-Mar-2017 06:02:17
Application Under Consideration 10-Apr-2017 11:42:54

Many thanks

godfreycomplex

Established Member
This is my application so far. Does anybody know how long I'll be waiting to get a reply?
Test Completed 04-Mar-2017 18:31:48
Test Completed 06-Mar-2017 06:02:17
Application Under Consideration 10-Apr-2017 11:42:54

Many thanks

It's a case of "how long's a piece of string" unfortunately
At the moment a list of candidates for interview is being drawn up; then interview dates have to be set. How long this takes depends very much on how many other things the LOM/HR have to manage at the time. Also; as you'll come to learn (if you haven't already) with Network Rail HR it's wise to allow a lot of time for them to do anything

Jammer97

It's a case of "how long's a piece of string" unfortunately
At the moment a list of candidates for interview is being drawn up; then interview dates have to be set. How long this takes depends very much on how many other things the LOM/HR have to manage at the time. Also; as you'll come to learn (if you haven't already) with Network Rail HR it's wise to allow a lot of time for them to do anything

Cheers for the reply :)

Supercoss

Get ready for some *big* recruitment changes, any new signaller recruited from this week will be employed as an apprentice with the initial training rising from 9 to 12 weeks. You will remain an apprentice for the first irrespective of 'passing out' t your desired location(s). This does not apply to trainees recruited before June

Herohunter

Do you have any more information on this?
I am in a bad spot just now after failing my week 5 exam
gutted

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Don't you get a resit, nowadays?
When I was learning you got one resit on the Monday morning after you returned from the weekend.

Validation

Don't you get a resit, nowadays?
When I was learning you got one resit on the Monday morning after you returned from the weekend.

Don't believe this is the case, you get one 'talk up' over your course which kicks in if you are 5-10% maybe under the required score. If you are short of this target or have used your talk up, you are sent home and told to liaise with your line manager. Usually put back on the course behind yours.

TRain87

Don't believe this is the case, you get one 'talk up' over your course which kicks in if you are 5-10% maybe under the required score. If you are short of this target or have used your talk up, you are sent home and told to liaise with your line manager. Usually put back on the course behind yours.

Only 5% lower than target score. On the last course needed scores of 70% on first exam, 75% on second and 80% on third, using talk up if you got 65%-69%, 70%-74% or 75%-79%.....there was talk that the exams are changing and becoming harder with higher pass marks, so be prepared to work!

NX

What we were told was if you score below the margin for error on any of the assessments during the course you would go home to your SB, and your LOM would make a decision on your future.

Chances are you'll go back onto the next course and start again from week one.
Week five assessment is the hardest to be fair, after the ease of week two assessment it does put you into a false sense of security !

Good luck I'm sure you'll be fine.

Dom68

Just thought I'd add my application journey and stages I've been through so far in that it may help others who are thinking of applying or have just done so and wanted an up to date idea of what to expect, although I'm not even at interview stage yet but remain hopeful..

Application Under Review 13-May-2017 15:10:39
Application Accepted 15-May-2017 07:11:36
Application Under Consideration 15-May-2017 13:13:17
Invited to Test 15-May-2017 14:42:12
Test Completed 18-May-2017 12:03:01
Test Completed 18-May-2017 18:06:16
Application Under Consideration 22-May-2017 15:29:27

Quick update, my status has now changed to "Application under consideration for assessment 2"
it has been at this stage for around 10 days, really hoping for an interview now but I know nothing is guaranteed.

unclebob

Can anyone explain to me, the difference in the way assessments are made (in particular interviews) for signaller posts? For example, how much stronger do your answers have to be for a level 1 signaller grade, compared to a level 9?

It seems to me, that a level 1 grade job would have a different marking criteria to a leel 9 job- is this the case? It would appear that the same questions are asked, but marked differently.

My understanding is that all successful candidates go to signalling school and are taught in the same class. This makes little sense. If you have 2 people on a signalling course, one a level 1 and the other level 10, it would appear that if the level 1 person does better in the tests than the level 10 (albeit they both pass the tests) the people would still remain in the posts they were initially offered. That makes no sense to me and is totally unfair!

Why does NR advertise the different signaller roles in the same way if there is a different selection criteria?

Rant over!!!

signallerscot

There is no difference in the way the different grades are scored at interview. You're making a fundamental mistake in the way you're looking at this. It is the signalbox, not the signaller, to which the grade relates and that is based on workload. Being a grade 2 does not imply an individual signaller is of any lesser ability than if he or she were a grade 9. Yes there is a relationship between the grading and 'difficulty' of a job but the lower grades can be just as challenging at times. There are signallers of all abilities in all the grades, there are some really really good grade 2s and some utterly useless grade 9s.

Supernaut

A few months back NR were advertising a number of 'signaller talent pools' around England. Have any forum members had any further word on this recruitment process since completing the three online tests with success? Thank you

unclebob

There is no difference in the way the different grades are scored at interview. You're making a fundamental mistake in the way you're looking at this. It is the signalbox, not the signaller, to which the grade relates and that is based on workload. Being a grade 2 does not imply an individual signaller is of any lesser ability than if he or she were a grade 9. Yes there is a relationship between the grading and 'difficulty' of a job but the lower grades can be just as challenging at times. There are signallers of all abilities in all the grades, there are some really really good grade 2s and some utterly useless grade 9s.

If what you say is true- if you needed the money, why would anyone want to work at a lower grade if they were more than capable of working at a higher one?

Dom68

A few months back NR were advertising a number of 'signaller talent pools' around England. Have any forum members had any further word on this recruitment process since completing the three online tests with success? Thank you

I don't know about a few months back but I applied to a north London talent pool grades2-4 a few weeks back and am at under consideration for assessment 2 at the moment, funny thing is that I also applied for more specific signalling roles before the talent pool and haven't progressed as far, I'm stuck at test complete for these.

lineclear

If what you say is true- if you needed the money, why would anyone want to work at a lower grade if they were more than capable of working at a higher one?

• Lower graded vacancies generally go external more often than higher graded vacancies
  • There is generally less competition for lower graded vacancies
  • Some people prefer a lower workload
  • Some people prefer to work at a nearby box, even though it may be a low grade

Supernaut

I don't know about a few months back but I applied to a north London talent pool grades2-4 a few weeks back and am at under consideration for assessment 2 at the moment, funny thing is that I also applied for more specific signalling roles before the talent pool and haven't progressed as far, I'm stuck at test complete for these.

Thanks Dom. Mine too was grades 2-4 but was back in March and for up north in Yorkshire. You have given me confidence that something will eventually come it, however. Patience is a virtue I suppose. Good luck with the next stage.

nom de guerre

• Lower graded vacancies generally go external more often than higher graded vacancies
  • There is generally less competition for lower graded vacancies
  • Some people prefer a lower workload
  • Some people prefer to work at a nearby box, even though it may be a low grade

* Some prefer working alone
* Some prefer working in a traditional-style box environment (view out the window, comfy armchair, radio, box cat) to a soulless warehouse
* Some prefer working with classic signalling equipment (or actively loathe the prospect of working with a more modern interface, eg VDU)
* Some prefer the (relative) peace and quiet / (generally) being left to your own devices, with minimal management interaction

It's a trade-off: for some, job satisfaction and/or convenience is more important than money. (Which isn't to say that it isn't possible to earn a decent living working smaller boxes: remember, even a Grade 1 is paid more than the average national salary; and there is almost always overtime available).

signallerscot

In addition to the excellent reasons listed by my colleagues bear in mind that higher graded boxes (7/8/9) are simply too geographically remote for many signallers. For example there are only 2 boxes in Scotland with grades above 7, Edinburgh IECC and West of Scotland SC, so if you live anywhere else in Scotland and want the grade then you'd need to commute or move. In any case you can only apply for vacancies that are advertised - if you live in an area where there are only a few higher graded boxes then you need to wait for a job to become vacant before you can apply and that can sometimes be dead men's shoes. No matter how 'able' you perceive yourself to be!

Dom68

Thanks Dom. Mine too was grades 2-4 but was back in March and for up north in Yorkshire. You have given me confidence that something will eventually come it, however. Patience is a virtue I suppose. Good luck with the next stage.

Thanks Supernaut, all the best to you too! never really thought of myself as virtuous before, the wife will be pleased.:D

p.s Noticed a new signallers job on NR job site for Kirkham Abbey,(page 5) might be up your alley?

Last edited:

nom de guerre

I'll have you know that our warehouse has plenty of soul thankyouverymuch

:lol:

As does mine!

Not necessarily my personal views - more a compilation of opinions I've heard expressed over the years.

Some people just don't want to work in an office-type environment, or to stare at VDU screens for the best part of 12 hours. Etc...