• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

linnet_ranger

Hi Adamski. You can do a couple of practise questions before taking the test that give you a flavour of what to expect. You get to see how you scored against the practise questions too, and can do them as many times as you like.

Make sure you've got peace and quiet when you do them (i.e. mobile on silent etc).

Adamski

Hi Adamski. You can do a couple of practise questions before taking the test that give you a flavour of what to expect. You get to see how you scored against the practise questions too, and can do them as many times as you like.

Make sure you've got peace and quiet when you do them (i.e. mobile on silent etc).

Thanks for that, I'll have to get some practice in as I'm really not good with tests especially if against the clock.

Planning on doing one Thursday and the other Friday. Thanks for your advice.

Trackboy

Once your application is shortlisted for assessment 2 on what basis can hiring manager reject you for interview???

Teddyward

Once your application is shortlisted for assessment 2 on what basis can hiring manager reject you for interview???
That sounds like a how long is a bit of string question. Presumably more applicants are forwarded than will be selected. Things like test score, application score/quality and personal choice probably come into it.

Trackboy

That sounds like a how long is a bit of string question. Presumably more applicants are forwarded than will be selected. Things like test score, application score/quality and personal choice probably come into it.
I guess going further after this stage is purely based on luck..

Alan77

Does anybody know exactly where the office is for the medical in Brighton, it’s in the BRIGHTON CED apparently. I’ve been to the ECR department for my interview so can find that easily enough.

Cavan

Has hull to selby re-signalling been canned as jobs (non ftc) are appearing for the area again?

Saracen_83

Just out of curiousity, has anyone had their application status change from app under consideration to “under consideration for assessment 2 or invite to assessment??

I’ve heard that Should it go to just app under consideration, this is basically an u successful??

Malc77

Just out of curiousity, has anyone had their application status change from app under consideration to “under consideration for assessment 2 or invite to assessment??

I’ve heard that Should it go to just app under consideration, this is basically an u successful??

The three applications which were unsuccessful went from test complete, application under consideration then swiftly to application unsuccessful. I currently have two more that have changed to application under consideration so not holding out much hope.

choochoobacca

I’ve had one go from ‘under consideration’ to ‘invite to assessment 2 pending’ previously, so don’t assume that you are basically out of the running if it goes to app under consideration. You’re still in the game, fingers crossed

linnet_ranger

Hi Matt and Malc,

I would encourage you both to have a thorough read through all of this forum. Back on page 39 or 40, this post by a chap called Freckles came up....

this is how my account looked from initial application through to getting the job (grade 2). The final message (application reassigned...) was the same day I had my interview and I got the nod a few days later. Since then I've just been dealing with HR to sort out my background checks, schedule my medical etc. Now I'm just waiting on a start date (purely guessing here but I assume it depends on when there is availability on a signalling school course).

As you'll see, it dragged on for a fair few months but from what I understand this is very much the norm, so I wouldn't get too disheartened if your application seems to sit dormant for an extended period of time.

Hope this helps!

Application Under Review - 17-May-2017 13:32:51
Application Accepted - 18-May-2017 07:05:16
Application Under Consideration - 18-May-2017 11:58:09
Invited to Test - 18-May-2017 13:43:54
Test Completed - 19-May-2017 09:17:29
Test Completed - 22-May-2017 08:45:33
Application Under Consideration - 15-Jun-2017 15:42:28
Application under consideration for assessment 2 - 15-Jun-2017 15:46:36
Application Under Consideration - 15-Jun-2017 15:52:03
Application under consideration for assessment 2 - 16-Jun-2017 09:54:05
Invite to Assessment 2 Pending - 26-Sep-2017 09:29:15
Invite to Assessment 2 Pending - 26-Sep-2017 09:55:37
Assessment 2 Scheduled - 26-Sep-2017 14:21:27
Application Reassigned to New Vacancy - 10-Oct-2017 14:07:08
------

In other words...patience is the key, as has been stated many times over in this thread. You're still in the running...but for now, do your best to forget about it and get on with your lives. The decision for each application will come when it comes. :)

Saracen_83

Hi linnet ranger,

Thanks for this, I have read the thread, however with such vast info you sometimes forget or didn’t see it!

Patience is definitely key tho

Teddyward

Funny you mention this. Just had a third change to under consideration from test complete today.

Adamski

Hi guys, just wanting to know how you faired on the tests? I've just looked at some practice material and got to be honest I found it quite tough. Do you have to answer all questions in each section? Tia

Adamski

Also, I applied for two different jobs but I assume I only have to do one set of assessments as shl keep your scores for 12 months. Is this right? (Sure I read it on here)

Dannygee

Does anybody know exactly where the office is for the medical in Brighton, it’s in the BRIGHTON CED apparently. I’ve been to the ECR department for my interview so can find that easily enough.

It's probably going to be a mobile unit in the car park.

slidingdoors

Hi guys, just wanting to know how you faired on the tests? I've just looked at some practice material and got to be honest I found it quite tough. Do you have to answer all questions in each section? Tia

I found it pretty tough and didn't answer all the questions. It's been enough for a pass for all the grades I've applied for including 9 though. None have gone any further though!

Malc77

I found it pretty tough and didn't answer all the questions. It's been enough for a pass for all the grades I've applied for including 9 though. None have gone any further though!

I found them hard, I answered all questions on verbal reasoning and didn't complete all the numerical ones. I have applied up to grade 9 and reached the benchmark but obviously didn't score high enough to be put forward for interview.

Paulm36

Hi guys
I hope this is the right place to post this . I've managed to get an interview for Grain level crossing , and from what I've managed to research it seems the crossing is really slow paced , with only about 4 trains a day going out to the island. I've been down to the crossing today , just to have a little look , and it didn't appear to be manned . I was just wondering if anybody had any knowledge on that particular crossing as in working hours , shift patterns , night time and weekend work etc . And any other interesting facts that you could share with me . Thank you in advance for any info shared.

Dannygee

Just waiting on my results now and DBS check, got a starting date for 2nd June! Cheers for all your help and advice mate, really appreciate it
All being well, I should just be finishing school! Good luck for the future

nom de guerre

Hi guys
I hope this is the right place to post this . I've managed to get an interview for Grain level crossing , and from what I've managed to research it seems the crossing is really slow paced , with only about 4 trains a day going out to the island. I've been down to the crossing today , just to have a little look , and it didn't appear to be manned . I was just wondering if anybody had any knowledge on that particular crossing as in working hours , shift patterns , night time and weekend work etc . And any other interesting facts that you could share with me . Thank you in advance for any info shared.

Well done on the interview and for visiting the area.

Judging by this, Grain Crossing is a "ground frame-cum-crossing cabin", controlling a section of the Grain branch by means of a nine-lever frame and token.

It fringes with Ashford IECC (North Kent 2 workstation) at Cliffe. We have a North Kent signaller on here - not sure how often they pop in, though.

No knowledge of the shifts, I'm afraid. Many of the remaining freight flows to Grain are quite erratic (running only when required) so it will be interesting to hear what a typical shift comprises.

Paulm36

Well done on the interview and for visiting the area.

Judging by this, Grain Crossing is a "ground frame-cum-crossing cabin", controlling a section of the Grain branch by means of a nine-lever frame and token.

It fringes with Ashford IECC (North Kent 2 workstation) at Cliffe. We have a North Kent signaller on here - not sure how often they pop in, though.

No knowledge of the shifts, I'm afraid. Many of the remaining freight flows to Grain are quite erratic (running only when required) so it will be interesting to hear what a typical shift comprises.
Thank you for your reply, really appreciated , I'm sure I'll find out more about working hours and shifts at the interview , and I'll happily add to the post once I know . It's a real , right out in the middle of nowhere box , which I actually don't mind to be honest . Fingers crossed all goes well at the interview.

Adamski

I found them hard, I answered all questions on verbal reasoning and didn't complete all the numerical ones. I have applied up to grade 9 and reached the benchmark but obviously didn't score high enough to be put forward for interview.

Well done guys, I found the tests hard but fought I did ok, I answered all question obviously some were wrong and I got the email saying I didn’t reach the required bench mark so that as they say is that. Good luck guys.

Cavan

How does
Well done guys, I found the tests hard but fought I did ok, I answered all question obviously some were wrong and I got the email saying I didn’t reach the required bench mark so that as they say is that. Good luck guys.

You will be able to try again in 6 months I think