• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stuart Calver

As per the answer above signallers don’t require PTS but be aware that some boxes require a PTS standard medical, if that’s what your concern is.

It is, as a control manager before being made redundant I was put on a PTS course, this was meant to be prior to going out on a MPV weed spray circuit (redundancy came first), anyway, I failed the medical on hearing (knew I would), I questioned why someone doing a sight test could wear glasses yet I couldn't wear my hearing aid for the test, she said those are the rules. Fast forward 4 weeks, I go on a PTS course (observation only) & the COSS who took the course was baffled that I'd failed due to hearing and not being able to use my hearing aid. He said he'd taken numerous classes and people had them and got a PTS, he also mentioned it seemed that different medical companies do medicals for different railway companies. It's obviously something I've got to look into.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Llanigraham, many thanks for the response, looks like it depends on where you actually work.
I doubt that very much.
And if your concern is because you wear a hearing aid, then the reason stated to me was that they are not infallible, which as a wearer myself I know is true. I certainly worked a single manned Box after being diagnosed as needing an aid. In fact it was the NR medical that first diagnosed the problem.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I have defective sight in my one eye, in restricted to multi manned and off track locations.

So I’m ROC/IECC/PSB restricted, we have a chap who’s only got one eye, hearing aids etc

Stuart Calver

I doubt that very much.
And if your concern is because you wear a hearing aid, then the reason stated to me was that they are not infallible, which as a wearer myself I know is true. I certainly worked a single manned Box after being diagnosed as needing an aid. In fact it was the NR medical that first diagnosed the problem.
Ok, many thanks again... what will be, will be.

Stuart Calver

I have defective sight in my one eye, in restricted to multi manned and off track locations.

So I’m ROC/IECC/PSB restricted, we have a chap who’s only got one eye, hearing aids etc
Thank you for the response, it's appreciated. I'll see what happens should I get that far in the recruitment process.

Andrew*Debbie

Finally heard back about my application for a Crossing Keeper post. I applied in October.

All applications were reviewed against role specific criteria. Unfortunately on this occasion we won't be taking your application any further due to the following reason:

More suitable candidate identified​

My current post survived the recent round of redundancies. I had a performance review a few days ago and that went very well. I'll be staying where I am.

Dan76

Still no news for me. All pre employment checks completed in Mid December Onboarding said next courses could be May time. What do you do for the2 weeks before your course start?

Also could you let me know if you get any inside info on course dates? Really wish I had my date.

Best of luck

headshot119

Established Member
Still no news for me. All pre employment checks completed in Mid December Onboarding said next courses could be May time. What do you do for the2 weeks before your course start?

Also could you let me know if you get any inside info on course dates? Really wish I had my date.

Best of luck

There's not really a point trying to find out when the next course is, they are planned a long way ahead, it's just a waiting game, though I know it is annoying.

In the two weeks before you do various activities with your LOM, induction, H&S etc, plus a two day introduction to the Babcock Apprenticeship (Usually in York though can be in Basingstoke, Westwood (Coventry) or Perth).

Narom

Pre-employment checks done for me just before Xmas too, got asked last week if I could start in April then got a call Monday asking if could fill a cancellation at the start of March instead with a start date in Feb.

Where abouts is your box?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Thank you for the response, it's appreciated. I'll see what happens should I get that far in the recruitment process.

My OM had to do a risk assessment that my defect wouldn’t infringe my ability to carry out the role, that took a little time but it all worked out in the end.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Finally heard back about my application for a Crossing Keeper post. I applied in October.

All applications were reviewed against role specific criteria. Unfortunately on this occasion we won't be taking your application any further due to the following reason:

More suitable candidate identified​

My current post survived the recent round of redundancies. I had a performance review a few days ago and that went very well. I'll be staying where I am.

I’m sorry to hear about the job, and relieved about your current role.

I’d say just don’t give up, something will come up.

Stefan Ball

Hello I've applied for a signaller role in Manchester and had a missed call today from a number I can't call back what's the process of them offering interview ? Straight phone call or email and then phone call? Not able to have my phone on me in work so worried I could of missed out

Mothball

Network Rail can be horrendously slow. A month isn't unusual.

I applied for the crossing keepers role at Norbury Hollow, the automated email with the online test cam through fairly quick and I passed it straight away, the advert closed December 6th and my applications still "Test Completed", is it normal to wait this long this early on?

Norbury Hollows only a small box, manual gates, two trains an hour and two signals protecting the crossing, what's the training to be expected?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I’d shout them up on the recruitment line, does your online status say “assessment two pending” ?

Stefan Ball

I called the recruitment line they said nothing was showing on my user but couldn't advise me if anyone had try to contact me said to just wait until Monday see if anyone calls again all seems very slow the recruitment process

Andrew*Debbie

I’m sorry to hear about the job, and relieved about your current role.

I’d say just don’t give up, something will come up.

Thanks. My current post is safe until at least August.

With Hitachi leaving and the University shedding 50+ people this year the local situation is bleak. I am fortunate.

I'll keep checking the external list.

At the moment the only Network Rail post in the area is Team Leader [Distribution & Plant] - Llandudno Junction

The pay is good but I am not qualified. Maybe someone from Horizon Nuclear would be a good fit??

Last edited:

Dan76

Pre-employment checks done for me just before Xmas too, got asked last week if I could start in April then got a call Monday asking if could fill a cancellation at the start of March instead with a start date in Feb.

Where abouts is your box?
My Box is Midge Hall (Near Preston). Fingers crossed there is an opening for me in April then??

Owen Byrne

Best of luck

Yes I will do. Apparently completing paper work and uniform and a trip to the box and stuff.

Hopefully your on a course soon.

Good luck.

bouff34

Hi,

Does anyone have a view on whether it is acceptable to take notes into your interview? Obviously not to read from verbatim but just a few bullet points so that I say all that I mean to say!

Thanks

Saracen_83

Hi,

Does anyone have a view on whether it is acceptable to take notes into your interview? Obviously not to read from verbatim but just a few bullet points so that I say all that I mean to say!

Thanks

It might just be me, but I wouldn’t take bots into the interview... but I’d certainly make notes about the 8 NTS, my scenarios, and be reading theses before hand, whilst waiting to go in, but once in the interview, these would be in my pocket....

Also remember you need to possibly have more than one scenario/example for each NTS, as depending on your question, if you only have one example it may not fit the question! So you need to be able to think on your feet, rather than flick through notes to fit a question.

I.e, relationships with others,

Describe a time you worked well in a team. What did you do and how was it a success??

Describe a time that you was working with a difficult member of staff within a team. Describe your actions and how you overcome any issues....

Same NTS, different question!!!

So flicking through notes wouldn’t go down well in my opinion!!!!

Davieo

I asked this question in my first interview as an external candidate and was told 'no' by the hiring manager. What I was allowed to use was evidence of my non-technical skills. For example, I took in a letter of commendation I recieved from a previous manager about an incident that evidenced my ability to work well under pressure (which backed up the verbal account of the incident which I gave to the hiring manager when asked in the interview). They took a photo of the letter and presumably added it to their interview notes on me.

Good luck with the interview.

Hi,

Thanks

bouff34

It might just be me, but I wouldn’t take bots into the interview... but I’d certainly make notes about the 8 NTS, my scenarios, and be reading theses before hand, whilst waiting to go in, but once in the interview, these would be in my pocket....

Also remember you need to possibly have more than one scenario/example for each NTS, as depending on your question, if you only have one example it may not fit the question! So you need to be able to think on your feet, rather than flick through notes to fit a question.

I.e, relationships with others,

Describe a time you worked well in a team. What did you do and how was it a success??

Describe a time that you was working with a difficult member of staff within a team. Describe your actions and how you overcome any issues....

Same NTS, different question!!!

So flicking through notes wouldn’t go down well in my opinion!!!!

Thanks, that was my gut feeling although others who have gone for non-railway interviews have advised me otherwise... think I'll play safe as I pretty much know what I want to say.

bouff34

I asked this question in my first interview as an external candidate and was told 'no' by the hiring manager. What I was allowed to use was evidence of my non-technical skills. For example, I took in a letter of commendation I recieved from a previous manager about an incident that evidenced my ability to work well under pressure (which backed up the verbal account of the incident which I gave to the hiring manager when asked in the interview). They took a photo of the letter and presumably added it to their interview notes on me.

Good luck with the interview.

Thanks for your reply.

Peterperfect

It is, as a control manager before being made redundant I was put on a PTS course, this was meant to be prior to going out on a MPV weed spray circuit (redundancy came first), anyway, I failed the medical on hearing (knew I would), I questioned why someone doing a sight test could wear glasses yet I couldn't wear my hearing aid for the test, she said those are the rules. Fast forward 4 weeks, I go on a PTS course (observation only) & the COSS who took the course was baffled that I'd failed due to hearing and not being able to use my hearing aid. He said he'd taken numerous classes and people had them and got a PTS, he also mentioned it seemed that different medical companies do medicals for different railway companies. It's obviously something I've got to look into.

That breaches the equality act. Reasonable adjustments are allowed.

Used to be firefighters were pensioned off if they needed glasses. Now they can and also wear hearing aids if needed.

So basically youve been subjected to discrimination on the grounds of disability. See your rep.