• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
@Highlandspring could you expand on the controllef grades please mate?

Grade 1/2/3 etc, I’m looking a train running controller job but I don’t understand the various grades.

Cheers !

Danc87

I was wondering this as I've also applied for the Cambridge crossing keeper one. Have you also applied for the grade 7 Cambridge position?
ive applied for the grade 7 position but considering the crossing keeper just need more info asap as it would be a commute and a wage drop possibly dependingon the top ups

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Remember if you possibly take a wage drop, it’s worth it in the long term once you get a Signaller job.

Danc87

Remember if you possibly take a wage drop, it’s worth it in the long term once you get a Signaller job.
But is it easy to transfer from crossing keeper to signaller role and how long roughly before u can start applying for other posts

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
It’s as easy or as difficult as you make it, get in head down, work hard = easy.

Get in, mess about, go sick, cause issues = hard to impossible.

Once you’ve completed your initial six months probation you can apply for posts.

As a crossing keeper you won’t go to signalling school, so you can’t transfer as such. But you’ll have a lot of more evidence for your application than someone who is raw to the job.

Habitat

From the benefits section of the NR website;

• 28 days’ annual leave and the opportunity to buy or sell two days per year
Does this include the 8 Bank Holidays each year?

GingerRH

From the benefits section of the NR website;

• 28 days’ annual leave and the opportunity to buy or sell two days per year
Does this include the 8 Bank Holidays each year?

No it doesn’t.

Also as signallers you cannot buy and sell leave (it’s usually management grade).

Danc87

Brilliant thanks
It’s as easy or as difficult as you make it, get in head down, work hard = easy.

Get in, mess about, go sick, cause issues = hard to impossible.

Once you’ve completed your initial six months probation you can apply for posts.

As a crossing keeper you won’t go to signalling school, so you can’t transfer as such. But you’ll have a lot of more evidence for your application than someone who is raw to the job.
Brilliant thanks so I'd have to go to signalling school if I managed to transfer! Do they still get the same perks i.e. shift allowances and outer London allowances etc as I'm trying to work out how much of a pay cut I'd be taking as I'd have to commute and possibly stay over it says base salary 25k

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Brilliant thanks

Brilliant thanks so I'd have to go to signalling school if I managed to transfer! Do they still get the same perks i.e. shift allowances and outer London allowances etc as I'm trying to work out how much of a pay cut I'd be taking as I'd have to commute and possibly stay over it says base salary 25k

You’ll still get all the allowances regardless of signaller or crossing keeper their both regarding as “signalling grades”.

I think as a grade 2 crossing keeper you’d do £30,000+ just with your nights and Sundays etc, add to that any RDW etc.

nom de guerre

what sort of shift allowance etc would i be looking at on top of the cambridge crossing keeper base pay which i think is 25k please? and does anyone know anymore about the job ie shifts bing 12 hours etc.
same with the sittingbourne one please

This vacancy is for a Bridge Operator at Kingsferry Bridge.

8hr roster. Good starter job: no signalling required and generally not too many bridge lifts per shift.

You’d clear £30K and property in the surrounding area is relatively cheap.

Danc87

This vacancy is for a Bridge Operator at Kingsferry Bridge.

8hr roster. Good starter job: no signalling required and generally not too many bridge lifts per shift.

You’d clear £30K and property in the surrounding area is relatively cheap.
Brilliant thanks for the clarification only trouble is 8hour rosters meaning I'd have to stay away more days in a month I guess!

Danc87

Anyone know much about the Cambridge one same wage and shift pattern? For the crossing

Davieo

If you're looking at jobs in the south east, I'd recommend the talent pool for the medway valley line, or strood as its advertised. A majority of the signallers who are recruited down there are external applicants and the turnover of staff is reasonably high too as signallers regularly move on up to higher grades elsewhere.

Good luck with your applications, its a great job once you get in.

what sort of shift allowance etc would i be looking at on top of the cambridge crossing keeper base pay which i think is 25k please? and does anyone know anymore about the job ie shifts bing 12 hours etc.
same with the sittingbourne one please impretty much now willing to apply for anything to get my foot in the door,
also will it be easier to go from a crossing keeper to a signaller then getting a job straight into signalling?

ljmac

Hi all,

My first post. I have been lurking for a bit and I am reading through this thread.
I have a pending application for grade 3 at Hexham. I have so far met the test benchmark and the application is under consideration. There is now a grade 2 position at Bedlington.

My question is, should I also apply for this? Will I have to fill out the 69 questions again?

Many thanks.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Yes apply !!!

You’ll also need to complete the intial application as well, top tip write the answers out in a word document for future reference, makes future apps quicker and allows for editing if required.

Good luck !

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Basic is £27,705

£121 per day turn (8hr roster)
£182 per day turn (12hr roster)
£12.18 per night turn on top of the day rate.

£182 per Sunday day turn (8hrs)
£274 per Sunday day turn (12hrs)

All in grade with just booked turns would probably be circa £33,000, you could easily do £40,000 with an average amount of RDW.

It really does depend on how understaffed your location is, if there are Sunday or night turns some locations close or switch out on nights or Sundays.

ljmac

Basic is £27,705

£121 per day turn (8hr roster)
£182 per day turn (12hr roster)
£12.18 per night turn on top of the day rate.

£182 per Sunday day turn (8hrs)
£274 per Sunday day turn (12hrs)

All in grade with just booked turns would probably be circa £33,000, you could easily do £40,000 with an average amount of RDW.

It really does depend on how understaffed your location is, if there are Sunday or night turns some locations close or switch out on nights or Sundays.

Thanks Tom that's great! I better get filling in my second application then.

bouff34

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if I am likely to be able to park at Network Rail, Gresley Rd, Basingstoke - I have my medical there tomorrow...

Thanks

GingerRH

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if I am likely to be able to park at Network Rail, Gresley Rd, Basingstoke - I have my medical there tomorrow...

Thanks

If you phone in advance and book it in, then I’d say yes. If you don’t and just turn up, then I’d say no.