• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TRain87

Haha, no he hasn't applied for while mate...abit down hearted from not getting a role.

And unfortunately Galaxy, that's exactly the case. Network rail can only provide training, when courses are available. They may employ more trainers soon, but if not I'm afraid you have to wait. You may be lucky and get employed a month before school, to visit the box, adjacent boxes, cab rides and route learn...but that's up to LOM

Saracen_83

Just wondering what happens to anyone that gets offered a job from now then (plenty still listed), surely they can't be expected to wait until next year and not got a clue how anyone plays that with their present employee.........imagine telling them "i am leaving but it won't be for 8 months" :rolleyes:

Then don’t tell them.........

Places do come up, cancellations etc, plus some LOMs proactively book places on the courses in preparation for new recruits....

So yes there might be no places, but that’s not saying the LOM hasn’t booked a place in advance.....

End of day the job is worth it, hence why so many people apply for the role.... if you have to wait 8 months then wait 8 months... you won’t regret it

GingerRH

Never say never!

Oh I shan’t!

My two pence worth on it all...

If you’re moaning at the company for having a long back log of training courses for new signallers, then this job is not for you.

The fact the coming is willing to offer you a job in the first place should be the only thing you need. If they offer you a start date 6 months down the line, then you’re laughing really. It gives you time to prepare for the change of lifestyle and even tell your current employer that you’re leaving and give ample amounts of notice and you could even help to train your replacement (always something an employer likes to hear).

Patience is required in this industry and if you don’t have any, then you won’t make it. Network rail mainly recruit on personality traits, not exam results, it’s important to remember that.

My one piece of advice would be that this job and industry gives back what you put in to it. If you give it your all, then it’ll look after you! :)

nom de guerre

Changing tack slightly, I gather the latest round of pay talks concluded yesterday. It appears the most recent offer has been accepted...

Saracen_83

For the following reason:

The No Compulsory Redundancy Agreementwould now cover both years of the offer until 31stDecember 2020. The previous offer covered only 2019. From that point there would be no further extensions to the agreement as discussions will be held to agree a process to manage displaced employees that would apply from 1st January 2021.

TRain87

The No Compulsory Redundancy Agreementwould now cover both years of the offer until 31stDecember 2020. The previous offer covered only 2019. From that point there would be no further extensions to the agreement as discussions will be held to agree a process to manage displaced employees that would apply from 1st January 2021.

By which time, I'm sure another deal will be in place as it will be priority on RMT list. They aren't stupid, they've got an extension in the no redundancies which is covered until next pay talks

Last edited:

GingerRH

Sorry if this sounds rude..

Up until the 7 months ago you finally got a job as a signaller, what was your career before hand? Did they offer no compulsory redundancy’s too?

Saracen_83

Sorry if this sounds rude..

Up until the 7 months ago you finally got a job as a signaller, what was your career before hand? Did they offer no compulsory redundancy’s too?

Does my service before hand really matter in regard to those who might lose there job in the next few years??? Yes I’m new to signalling and view myself as lucky to do so, that mean my opinion count less then?

gareth386

Does my service before hand really matter in regard to those who might lose there job in the next few years??? Yes I’m new to signalling and view myself as lucky to do so, that mean my opinion count less then?

I don't think he meant that your opinion counts less, I'm pretty sure he is referring that it is a rarity this day and age to have that within your terms and conditions and was asking if you did in your last job.

GingerRH

The point I’m trying to make is just like Gareth says below. It’s extremely rare these days for a company to offer no redundancies, and realistically, it was never going to last.

The RMT will always strive to get the best for its members, and as a member you should have faith in them. That is of course, if you are a member yourself. That being said, if you’re not happy with their work, you can always leave the union.

I don't think he meant that your opinion counts less, I'm pretty sure he is referring that it is a rarity this day and age to have that within your terms and conditions and was asking if you did in your last job.

You hit the nail on the head there, that was the point I was making!

Saracen_83

Yes I see your point. And yes I agree it was never going to last.

It was just the fact it says no further extension past 2021.

Didn’t mean to cause offence or come across rude or not happy with the union (yes I am a member), just thought that bit could’ve been amended that all......

Last edited:

Danc87

I don't know if there's any change to the information posted below. (Posted in Feb 2019)
no not the relief job thanks for the info what does the 8 hour shift pattern look like? and how much holiday do u get working the 8hshift pattern please

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Are these on the crossing desk Tom?

No, the management often run these campaigns. Basically your a signaller grade two, they’ll send you to school then use you to fill open jobs when you come back, it’s a form of forward planning.

I’ve know 8 people who have been taken on via this route, they now all have full time contracts, and are all higher than grade 2.

gareth386

No, the management often run these campaigns. Basically your a signaller grade two, they’ll send you to school then use you to fill open jobs when you come back, it’s a form of forward planning.

I’ve know 8 people who have been taken on via this route, they now all have full time contracts, and are all higher than grade 2.
We've currently got 3 lads, including myself, in our box who started this way, plus 2 lads who are currently training in the box after finishing signal school.
It definitely makes sense to do it this way as it gives them a head start when taking on in the box or ROC. We all know how long it takes to go through the whole recruitment process so if they can potentially employ someone whos already 3/4's of the way through that process it must be great for the hiring manager.

Rockhopper

Another job has popped up for a grade 1 signaller at a manual crossing near me. I know it well, the gates are always closed apart from on sundays when no trains run. There are two trains an hour, the road doesn't really go anywhere so only local cars cross - probably only a handful each day. So, how would a signaller occupy themselves with hardly anything to do during the majority of their shift? There are two answers I'm sure, the one you'd give the interviewer and the one that happens in reality!

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Refresh operational procedures, revise rule book modules for the role, clean and repeat.

In the real world, sleep, eat and repeat.