• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Leo_724677

Hey everyone,i want to re-take 2 of my tests,is that something anyone has done before...

My scores are not high enough and every job im applying for,im always getting unsuccessful after wait for ass 2???

How do you know your scores are not high enough? Have you asked NR for your scores/feedback?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jaysub

How do you know your scores are not high enough? Have you asked NR for your scores/feedback?
Yea well they told me my scores and i had an interview in feb but when i redone the tests after that interview,im not getting any luck...

Last edited:

bouff34

Hey everyone,i want to re-take 2 of my tests,is that something anyone has done before...

My scores are not high enough and every job im applying for,im always getting unsuccessful after wait for ass 2???

Define always? There are people on here that have had applications running into twenty or thirty before being successful. You just have to keep at it.

Your scores may be perfectly acceptable but the other applicants have scored one mark higher. Or the issue might be that your CV or the answers to your 70 questions aren't doing you justice.

It isn't just the tests that determine if you get invited to interview...

Highlandspring

Established Member
Yea well they told me my scores and i had an interview in feb but when i redone the tests after that interview,im not getting any luck...

Got told by managers i was in mind as well and told me to apply again because basically that job was guaranteed to someone else
Am I reading correctly that you've already done the tests twice and you wish to undertake them for a third time?

Also the hiring manager definitely shouldn't be telling you something like that.

Jaysub

I done them a 2nd time as they expired bit just assumed they were low so was thinking to retake them but if people are saying its not just that then maybe il leave it,its just cos i got an interview before then when i done them again...nothing,i know alot of people apply and it probs is they got higher as well

High Dyke

Established Member
Hi all. Just come across this forum after applying for a Grade 2 position at Heckington in Lincolnshire and then deciding to do a little more research about the role.

I had already read a number of posts on other sites that generally rate the company and the job as good.

I have seen a couple of people on here have already applied for this post earlier in the year. I can't quite figure out why the job advert has been running for so long. Surely it isn't that difficult to find a suitable candidate in Lincolnshire?
You'd be surprised. A grade 3 job in the area was advertised and there were no internal applicants at the time - the job was then advertised and appointed externally. As for Heckington there had been a turnover of staff in a short space of time.

High Dyke

Established Member
Out of curiosity, what form of NR ID do you have?

I’ve been with NR for nearly a decade and have never been issued with my own company ID.
That's because these days the 'powers that be' in the Death Star don't think it a requirement for signallers, and some others, to have any form of employee ID.

High Dyke

Established Member
I apllied for it earlier this year.
Passed the online tests but didn't get offered an interview.
Then Hubberts Bridge box came up, so I applied for that and got it (medical next week).

I have obviously seen that the Heckington box has been readvertised, but don't know why.
One guess would be that the chosen candidate failed on disclosure checks, medical, etc or changed their mind.
Are you local to it?
Best get on your daughters PC this weekend and smash the online tests!
Good luck
!
Signaller due to move there from another signal box is now going to somewhere different, hence the reason it came up again.

Daniel Hassan

Hey guys, 2nd time lucky for me so wish me luck. I initially applied a few months back for the London signaller jobs advertised. I got through the initial stages on my application and I received the relevant 3x assessment tests to complete in 5 days. Stupidly I took to much time on certain questions, which subsequently meant I didn’t get to answer all the questions. Unsurprisingly I got the email back to say I wasn’t successful.

Anyway, round 2 now. The 6x Crawley posts have come up and I have now applied for that. My application is currently on hold, so hoping I get the test stage again. Any tips for me ? Also just out of interest , why are they taking on 6x signallers at Crawley ( three bridges )? In regards to the job itself, I honestly think if I can get through these difficult tests, I think I might have a decent chance at an interview. I used to run a control room working with the police, so I’m used to shift work, 12 hour shifts, nights etc, plus dealing with high pressured situations. Been working in control rooms pretty much most my working career. I take it if you do pass the 3 tests, you are then invited to a formal interview ? Sorry for the countless questions.

ChrisRS

Hey guys, 2nd time lucky for me so wish me luck. I initially applied a few months back for the London signaller jobs advertised. I got through the initial stages on my application and I received the relevant 3x assessment tests to complete in 5 days. Stupidly I took to much time on certain questions, which subsequently meant I didn’t get to answer all the questions. Unsurprisingly I got the email back to say I wasn’t successful.

Anyway, round 2 now. The 6x Crawley posts have come up and I have now applied for that. My application is currently on hold, so hoping I get the test stage again. Any tips for me ? Also just out of interest , why are they taking on 6x signallers at Crawley ( three bridges )? In regards to the job itself, I honestly think if I can get through these difficult tests, I think I might have a decent chance at an interview. I used to run a control room working with the police, so I’m used to shift work, 12 hour shifts, nights etc, plus dealing with high pressured situations. Been working in control rooms pretty much most my working career. I take it if you do pass the 3 tests, you are then invited to a formal interview ? Sorry for the countless questions.

The test results are valid for 12 months, as you were unsuccessful any subsequent application will also be unsuccessful I'd imagine.

Curtis

I have just completed (and met the benchmark) on my online assessments for Signaller (Grade 2 - Knottingley).

Quick question regarding salary as I need to know if it will definitely be viable for me (due to extra commuting times etc).

It states salary is £27,705 - in anyone elses experience what is this likely to equate to per month after any enhancements and tax deductions?

In my current job my salary is approx £22,000, which means after shift enhancements and deductions I come out with roughly £1740 per month.

Anybody else applied for the Knottingley role? I applied to the same box some time ago when it was advertised as Grade 4, but then they withdrew the vacanacy for whatever reason. (I'm going to guess that it's likely to be due to an internal transferee)

I have just completed (and met the benchmark) on my online assessments for Signaller (Grade 2 - Knottingley).

Quick question regarding salary as I need to know if it will definitely be viable for me (due to extra commuting times etc).

It states salary is £27,705 - in anyone elses experience what is this likely to equate to per month after any enhancements and tax deductions?

In my current job my salary is approx £22,000, which means after shift enhancements and deductions I come out with roughly £1740 per month.

Anybody else applied for the Knottingley role? I applied to the same box some time ago when it was advertised as Grade 4, but then they withdrew the vacanacy for whatever reason. (I'm going to guess that it's likely to be due to an internal transferee)
Grade 2 pay, depends on deductions and overtime etc but ball park £1900 every four weeks, there’s 13 pay dates in a calendar year.

NavyWolf

Hi newbie here, very interesting reading this topic. Recently applied for the signaller job in Bognor, unfortunately I've just received the letter/email saying they have found a more suitable applicant. I see there were some Petersfield jobs that came up recently, shame I missed them very much closer to home and ones I would have been keen to apply for!
So now just a waiting game to see what other signaller jobs might come up in the Portsmouth vicinity!

Curtis

Grade 2 pay, depends on deductions and overtime etc but ball park £1900 every four weeks, there’s 13 pay dates in a calendar year.

Thanks - I'd best do some maths :lol:

Hi newbie here, very interesting reading this topic. Recently applied for the signaller job in Bognor, unfortunately I've just received the letter/email saying they have found a more suitable applicant. I see there were some Petersfield jobs that came up recently, shame I missed them very much closer to home and ones I would have been keen to apply for!
So now just a waiting game to see what other signaller jobs might come up in the Portsmouth vicinity!

Welcome - keep at it, we'll get there eventually!

Cavan

This is a useful site for working out take home pay.

https://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php

You can set it up for 4 weekly pay and enter the appropriate percentage of pension you pay (This percentage will change depending on what pension you join)

Using that a basic g2 with nr pension will take home £1620 every 4 weeks. Of course nights and Sundays will increase this if worked at location.

ChrisRS

Ok mate, well I guess I’ll have to wait another 9 months :)

I failed the assessments 12 months ago, kept applying and getting rejected until I realised I had previously applied and failed.

12 months have gone, I've just redone the SHL assessments and passed this time round for a position.

nom de guerre

The most frequently-advertised boxes in the area seem to be on the Pompey Direct (Petersfield and Haslemere) and the West Coastway/Arun Valley (Arundel, Bognor, Chichester - not seen Barnham or Littlehampton listed recently).

The two local power boxes are Eastleigh and Havant (both G7). Not sure how often the former makes it onto the external list and I suspect the latter is dead man’s shoes as I can’t recall seeing it listed, even internally.

Chaz T

It'll come back once you start the practice tests!

Well the tests have been completed. Boy, were you right about the headache coming back. It did, with a vengeance.

But they are all done, accepted and I have just received the email to confirm that I achieved the required results. Now to wait for the next bit.

NavyWolf

The most frequently-advertised boxes in the area seem to be on the Pompey Direct (Petersfield and Haslemere) and the West Coastway/Arun Valley (Arundel, Bognor, Chichester - not seen Barnham or Littlehampton listed recently).

The two local power boxes are Eastleigh and Havant (both G7). Not sure how often the former makes it onto the external list and I suspect the latter is dead man’s shoes as I can’t recall seeing it listed, even internally.
I see that there is a shunters position available at Littlehampton, however Bognor was just on my boundary for commuting, anything further away wouldn't be as appealing. I'll make sure I keep looking on the careers websites.

I just did the tests for the Three Bridges jobs and I think you answered your own question really.. don't spend too long on any question!

Having said that answering all the questions may not be required as I answered 12 of the 18 in the maths reasoning test and I got through!

Curtis

I made the mistake of trying to complete my online tests whilst in company with my 7 year old twin girls.... stressful doesn't begin to cut it! I did manage to complete them with a few seconds to spare on each, and luckily passed!

Daniel Hassan

I just did the tests for the Three Bridges jobs and I think you answered your own question really.. don't spend too long on any question!

Having said that answering all the questions may not be required as I answered 12 of the 18 in the maths reasoning test and I got through!

Nice, well done. Does anyone know if you pass the tests, do you automatically get an interview ?

Highlandspring

Established Member
Does anyone know if you pass the tests, do you automatically get an interview ?
No, the test scores of all applicants are ranked and the top five (if there are more than five applicants) are invited to interview. That’s why some posters on here are keen to resit the tests to improve their score. The answers to the 60 questions are also taken into consideration.

No, the test scores of all applicants are ranked and the top five (if there are more than five applicants) are invited to interview. That’s why some posters on here are keen to resit the tests to improve their score. The answers to the 60 questions are also taken into consideration.

So if there are 6 vacancies for the same role (as at Three Bridges) does the same criteria apply? Assuming there were enough applicants to meet it

Highlandspring

Established Member
Presumably everyone gets an interview, though that doesn't necessarily mean everyone will then be successful and get a job.

Cavan

It isn't always 5 interviewed per post. I think the LOM has some discretion. An interview I had there were 8/9 for one job.

WizJim

Hi Guys, I'm new here and have really enjoyed reading through this (and other) threads.

Recently applied for my first signaller job (Grade 2, Penyffordd SB - North Wales); Have passed the online assessment and am waiting for the status of my application to change.

It was a speculative application and I didn't know too much about signalling but reading through the forums has made me really excited, hopefully I'll get a positive update soon on my current application - Thanks for all the helps on this thread I'm sure it will come in useful if my application progresses. Fingers crossed!