• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Rockhopper

It must vary by region perhaps. The crossing keeper I was chatting to was wearing what I assumed to be an issued blue shirt but I’ve seen guys in the nearby signal box wearing ordinary civvies.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rockhopper

How about hi-viz? I've seen them wearing that around here as well - and not just when its wet.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Defiantly blue t shirt and smart jeans, a lad on my course went for the formal shirt and tie option...it didn’t last long lol

Highlandspring

Established Member
How about hi-viz? I've seen them wearing that around here as well - and not just when its wet.
If you’re required to wear PPE when you are working outside the box it’ll be issued to you and you’ll be instructed on its use. I do know a signaller who used to wear his yellow vest all the time in his single manned mechanical box and all his colleagues thought he was a proper tit. He tried to carry on in the same manner when he moved to a multi-manned location but it only lasted about a week before he was told in on uncertain terms to get it off.

Mordueman

Any idea of the take home pay for a grade 2 box working 2 shifts ( no night shift ) and 7 hours on a Sunday ?
Many thanks

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
£121 per 8hr day Monday - Saturday
£179 per 8hr Sunday

£13.80 per hour grade 2 at pre pay award prices.

Rockhopper

Just a quick one about the seventy questions - the email says the results are kept on file for twelve months so does that mean you cannot have a second attempt at them for twelve months?

Saracen_83

Results of the tests are kept, not the 70 questions as far as I’m aware as you re do these for each new application.

Jaysub

does anyone know why chichester role has been taken of when closing date was the 8th july?

Rockhopper

"We retain the right to close the advert before the listed closing date based on application volumes."

Bell 1-2-1

I’d imagined that your first paid day would be your first day at signalling school. Finish and pass school then go to your box, eventually get signed off as competent then your pay will go up.
You will normally start a week or 2 before sig school there are a few online basic company training bits to do with your apprenticeship, visit to box. Not sure if still happens but we did 2 days in York setting up apprenticeship with Babcock the week before the course started.

Chumba

does anyone know why chichester role has been taken of when closing date was the 8th july?

There was an issue with the advert, it should reappear tomorrow under a different IRC number. Those that have already applied will be transferred to the new IRC number. That’s what HR told me earlier ! :)

JoeyB

Hi chaps,

Been lurking for a few weeks while making my way through the entire thread.

Does anybody know if the Upper Poppleton box work is a 12 or 8 hour shift?

The box is 45-60 minutes drive away from me traffic depending. My current commute is 45 minutes with a stressful 9-5 job which i find manageable. How do others find a long commute with shift work?

Thanks in advance

It's an 8 hour box

Last edited:

hp348

Apologies if this has already been asked in relation to the shift patterns , where or how do you find out what the shift pattern is ?

Highlandspring

Established Member
Apologies if this has already been asked in relation to the shift patterns , where or how do you find out what the shift pattern is ?

1) Search this forum to see if it has been asked previously;
2) If 1) draws a blank then ask on this thread;
3) Ask when visiting the box if you have been able to organise a visit before interview;
4) Ask at the end of your interview when questions are invited

Sunset route

1) Search this forum to see if it has been asked previously;
2) If 1) draws a blank then ask on this thread;
3) Ask when visiting the box if you have been able to organise a visit before interview;
4) Ask at the end of your interview when questions are invited

If there was ever a need for a like button this would be it, follow these simple rules of initiative and you could be halfway there to becoming a signaller.

Mordueman

Can anyone shed any light on the new starter medical and what it consists of.
From memory there is, general health, colour blindness, vision test, hearing test.
Is there there any bloods taken or urine, I hate needles.
Many thanks

Roger_S

Can anyone shed any light on the new starter medical and what it consists of.
From memory there is, general health, colour blindness, vision test, hearing test.
Is there there any bloods taken or urine, I hate needles.
Many thanks

Urine test.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Blood pressure, weight, height, colour vision, visual acuity, hearing, urine sample. Depending on what level the hiring manager has selected you may also be tested on your general movement and balance (lean left/lean right/bend over/stand on one leg etc..)

Last edited:

mac

Been at NR coming up 5 years and now had a letter about changing pensions could someone explain in simply terms the difference between what I'm on now and what I can join

Sture

Wonder if anybody could help, does anybody know what the shift patterns are at inverness signalling centre? Had a quick search but could find nothing.

Thanks

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Been at NR coming up 5 years and now had a letter about changing pensions could someone explain in simply terms the difference between what I'm on now and what I can join

Im not a pensions expert, and I’m sure someone more knowledgeable than me can fill in any gaps or mistruths but here goes...

Railway Pension Scheme is one of the best schemes still open, if your a signaller you’ll be on 100% pensionable basic pay in a final salary retire at 65 Scheme.

If your young enough to have 40 years in the Scheme you should have a very nice Pension come the big day, also pay into BRASS as much as you afford each month.

The RPS is managed by a trust of people who have a vested interest in keeping the Scheme stable and sustainable, as far as I’m aware the Network Rail section has a surplus unlike most of the other sections.

Get in the RPS ASAP.

The new entrant Pension Schemes are managed by Capita... say no more with nowhere near as good a benefit as the RPS.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Forgot to say, you can (I did) transfer funds from your entry scheme into RPS via the BRASS Scheme - although I think you’ll start at year zero Pension subs wise vice year 5, but personally I think it’s worth the hit.

srm94

I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who has contributed information to this thread about the recruitment process for signalling. Largely thanks to the brilliant guidance on here re interview prep I received my job offer this morning and will be off to signalling school in early 2020. I'm absolutely ecstatic!

To those of you still trying to get in I really wish you the best of luck and encourage perserverance since I came very close to giving up at several points. 89 people went for the two positions at the location I was offered, so getting to interview stage was a great achievement with a good dose of luck. Being told these figures made me realise that my numerous rejections prior to this interview were nothing personal and not a reflection on my potential to be a signaller.