• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChrisRS

Question about the interview, has anyone taken notes in before or did you just memorise all the questions that will be asked?

WizJim

Question about the interview, has anyone taken notes in before or did you just memorise all the questions that will be asked?

Hi Mate, I've seen it in earlier pages of this thread that people don't recommend taking notes in. So probably best to memorise what you can.

Is this for the fiddlers ferry one mate? Mines still on test completed at the mo - best of luck for the interview though!

ChrisRS

Hi Mate, I've seen it in earlier pages of this thread that people don't recommend taking notes in. So probably best to memorise what you can.

Is this for the fiddlers ferry one mate? Mines still on test completed at the mo - best of luck for the interview though!

Cheers, I'll be sure to revise the notes I'll be making!

And no it's not for that box.

Rockhopper

You don't want to go in looking like you've pre-prepared a series of standard answers, they are wanting to know that you genuinely have the skills and experience that they are questioning you about and they will probably ask further questions around your answers to test you a bit deeper if they think you are blagging it a bit :)

Whinmoor

Had it on a couple of occasions now where my test has reached the required benchmark, but on the application it has been on 'test completed' for what seems like an age. Rung recruitment up to find out if the application was still live which they always say yes to. Then within the next few hours I get a rejection email saying more suitable applicant found.

Bit annoying that I can't seem to get an interview but, no complaints from me if there are better applicants out there.

What is a joke is that they pretty much forget about you till you ring up to enquire what's going on. Then hey presto, a rejection email.

Roger_S

I emailed them last week and got a reply the next day saying I was still under consideration. No rejection.... yet. :rolleyes:

Speak of the devil, application status has turned to unsuccessful online. No email yet. That was for an Edinburgh role. 8 weeks to the day from the advertisement closing. Good luck to anyone going for these roles.

P200E

Speak of the devil, application status has turned to unsuccessful online. No email yet. That was for an Edinburgh role. 8 weeks to the day from the advertisement closing. Good luck to anyone going for these roles.
I still have 2 at under consideration from May 2018, better ring them to get them to move them on

michael74

So, I have applied for the Grade 3 role at Crediton, I completed my 69 questions and had the email stating my application has been received and is under consideration. I will be notified if I have met the required selection criteria for this role and I am through to the next stage in the recruitment process.

After reading though this thread (not all 181 pages mind you), I am slightly confused, if I have hit all the keywords in my answers to the questions, is the next stage the 3 online tests, if I reach the benchmark for them its then the interview? I have recently completed an online test for Operative Roles for NR, do they get used? TIA

ChrisRS

So, I have applied for the Grade 3 role at Crediton, I completed my 69 questions and had the email stating my application has been received and is under consideration. I will be notified if I have met the required selection criteria for this role and I am through to the next stage in the recruitment process.

After reading though this thread (not all 181 pages mind you), I am slightly confused, if I have hit all the keywords in my answers to the questions, is the next stage the 3 online tests, if I reach the benchmark for them its then the interview? I have recently completed an online test for Operative Roles for NR, do they get used? TIA

If you pass the initial sift you'll be invited to do the 3 online tests, if you meet the benchmark the hiring manager will review your application. You'll then either be invited to an interview or rejected as far as I'm aware.

michael74

If you pass the initial sift you'll be invited to do the 3 online tests, if you meet the benchmark the hiring manager will review your application. You'll then either be invited to an interview or rejected as far as I'm aware.

I see so in essence x2 sifts of your application, one by HR before the online test and then again by the manager post test with the scores to benchmark. Thanks.

Rockhopper

I’m not sure much of a sift happens after the seventy questions. On my first go I didn’t answer any of them that required words yet I still got through to the three tests! The hiring manager considers everything though, the initial questions, your test scores and your CV. I’d guess that the initial questions are probably the most important bit.

michael74

I’m not sure much of a sift happens after the seventy questions. On my first go I didn’t answer any of them that required words yet I still got through to the three tests! The hiring manager considers everything though, the initial questions, your test scores and your CV. I’d guess that the initial questions are probably the most important bit.

Thanks, a great help. Its a real eye opener that the as a result of being a victim of its own successes (in that railway jobs are so popular) that recruitment processes for NR, TOCs and FOCs are so complex and drawn out, (for all the right reasons of course).

Jimbob100

Hey all,

Not seen any mention on this thread about the Edinburgh and central Scotland vacancies that closed a few weeks ago. Got an interview for both and was just wondering if anyone had any info that would be of any use about the locations of both and technology used?

Chris1986

Hi guys,

I've just applied for Wylam via indeed's website and my application is now pending. I'm confident of my competence for the role but I just wanted to ask how strict the fitness side of things is- I'm no slim Jim so some kind of idea what their standards are would be much appreciated.

I am also being proactive and exercising more now anyway, for my own good, but knowing what the target is would help!

Also, I can't believe it could be March 2020 before the next intake- Shirley, you can't be serious?!

Many thanks in advance!

CharliePots

Hey all,

Not seen any mention on this thread about the Edinburgh and central Scotland vacancies that closed a few weeks ago. Got an interview for both and was just wondering if anyone had any info that would be of any use about the locations of both and technology used?

Good luck with your interviews, I was rejected from both today. Anyone heard anything about the Inverness and Aberdeen vacancy which was advertised at the same time?

ChrisRS

Hi guys,

I've just applied for Wylam via indeed's website and my application is now pending. I'm confident of my competence for the role but I just wanted to ask how strict the fitness side of things is- I'm no slim Jim so some kind of idea what their standards are would be much appreciated.

I am also being proactive and exercising more now anyway, for my own good, but knowing what the target is would help!

Also, I can't believe it could be March 2020 before the next intake- Shirley, you can't be serious?!

Many thanks in advance!

Just come across that one, the location would be ideal for me. Already got something lined up though, good luck.

Mordueman

Hi guys,

Many thanks in advance!

Many years ago I used to be relief signal man along this line and know all the boxes well.
Wylam has canny set of steps as it's set on a gantry, infact I visited there today to catch up with my old mates and I had forgotten what a climb it is, so that will get you fit pretty quick.
There are no levers at Wylam as it's got a small panel with buttons and the barrier controls, it's a lovely little box in a lovely setting right on the banks of the Tyne.
The vacancy has come up as one of the signallers is going to Newcastle IECC and apparently there are two vacancies at Wylam, not sure why they have advertised it as a temporary 6 months post.

Chris1986

Many years ago I used to be relief signal man along this line and know all the boxes well.
Wylam has canny set of steps as it's set on a gantry, infact I visited there today to catch up with my old mates and I had forgotten what a climb it is, so that will get you fit pretty quick.
There are no levers at Wylam as it's got a small panel with buttons and the barrier controls, it's a lovely little box in a lovely setting right on the banks of the Tyne.
The vacancy has come up as one of the signallers is going to Newcastle IECC and apparently there are two vacancies at Wylam, not sure why they have advertised it as a temporary 6 months post.

I noticed that about the signal box, very interesting position actually over the railway line! Also that it's a six month position looking to go permanent but I'm always optimistic!

Peterperfect

Anyone know which hotel you stay at when you are at York signalling school ?
I've got a start date for the 5th August if I can pass my medical in time.

Park inn, premier lodge and the Marriott are the ones being used these days.the students accommodation has been binned.

Good luck and dont expect to see much of york as you'll be studying or on the sim.

Mordueman

Parking in York is a nightmare, I will be driving to the Signalling school from Newcastle on a Sunday night and driving back on a Friday night, what have people done about parking. The hotel they are providing charges £25 a day and obviously I cant afford that, any advice would be helpful.

nr_signaller

Parking in York is a nightmare, I will be driving to the Signalling school from Newcastle on a Sunday night and driving back on a Friday night, what have people done about parking. The hotel they are providing charges £25 a day and obviously I cant afford that, any advice would be helpful.
I believe you can get a parking permit for the carpark at York signalling course