• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

OverTheRails

Congratulations! I was in a similar position to you. I had applied for around 10 positions with no luck.
In the last 3 weeks I managed to get 2 interviews and was offered both of them!
The advice on this forum was brilliant and has been really helpful! Can't wait to get started now!
Which boxes bud?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OverTheRails

Just found out I was successful. Lucky to be successful first time as even going through this process once has been a test of patience so hats off to those who’ve done it repeatedly!

WizJim

Congrats mate, Which box?

Anyone heard anything regards Penyfford, Fiddlers Ferry or Plumley boxes?

Leo_724677

Would just like to thank all those within the thread who have contributed invaluable information on the role and application process. Found out last week that I was successful at my first interview and then this week have received my formal offer to which I promptly accepted. Now waiting on a date for the medical and pending that going smoothly hopefully will have a start date for signaller school in the not so distant future. :)

Badge3226

Sounds like he’s unfortunately been left behind. The assessments and interviews have been and gone, with an external applicant getting the job last week

galaxynew

Sounds like he’s unfortunately been left behind. The assessments and interviews have been and gone, with an external applicant getting the job last week
No worries and thanks for the update

Pity HR don't keep applicants updated, presumably once a decision is made on who to interview an email/update would be generated to advise all unsuccessful applicants

Rockhopper

I think they leave it later than that, just in case the people they selected turn it down.

RWA

Firstly just want to say thanks to everyone that's contributed to this forum, with the help of all the advice on here I've been lucky enough to be offered a position in Three Bridges.

I'm waiting for a date now for signaller school now and am becoming a bit concerned about a few comments I've seen about people failing the training. Just hoping for any advice / reassurance / tips / what to expect when I get there?

SJCembre

Good evening to you all,

Please forgive me for asking these same reoccurring questions but I have recently applied for a grade 9 role at London Victoria and successfully passed the first stage of online assessments.

For those of you who are experienced in this process could you impart any advice please regarding the process and outcomes following this stage?

Also, where can I find some material to practise for the assessment centre should I be offered a place at that stage later on down the line?

Thank you

Rockhopper

I don’t believe they use the assessment centre process anymore. Seventy questions, three online tests then interview. The interview could be many months away yet!

KingBob

Firstly just want to say thanks to everyone that's contributed to this forum, with the help of all the advice on here I've been lucky enough to be offered a position in Three Bridges.

Congrats! Which grade, if you don’t mind me asking?

SJCembre

I don’t believe they use the assessment centre process anymore. Seventy questions, three online tests then interview. The interview could be many months away yet!

Hi Rockhopper,

Thank you for your response to my questions, regarding the assessment centre utilisation and in consistency within NWR’s recruitment process I will wait and see what happens with that however regarding a potential interview date I am well aware that could be a long time away yet.

Have you got any recommendations around the interview format for the higher grade roles?, from what I have seen in recent posts NTS are hotter than hot!

I understand that some research into the box and areas it covers along with TOCs on the route would be advantageous.

Cheers!

Rockhopper

No, can’t really help you with that although I’m not aware that the interview for a grade nine position will be any different to that for a grade two job. It’s never been mentioned before anyhow!

Chumba

The few interviews I’ve had have all been around the non technical skills, and also safety vision. One also asked what I knew about the box, it’s location what area it covered, and traffic through the area.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Interviews, training, assessements and competence management are the same for all signaller grades. There are different initial training courses for different methods of signalling but the grade of the box you’re bound for makes no difference.

nikibee

I'm waiting for a date now for signaller school now and am becoming a bit concerned about a few comments I've seen about people failing the training. Just hoping for any advice / reassurance / tips / what to expect when I get there?

Our group started with 10, and we are now week 10 and have 8 left.

The first chap struggled and decided to call it a day at the end of week 4. The second failed the week 6 exam and his score was too low for a talk up. One of our group failed signalling school at week 6 before and got put back to week 1 which is why he is with us now but he’s doing a lot better.

As long as you put the effort in and study hard you’ll get on fine. Study with your classmates too as you can bounce ideas and info off each other. If you have any other questions just let me know as I’m currently in York bearing there end of the course :)

RWA

Our group started with 10, and we are now week 10 and have 8 left.

The first chap struggled and decided to call it a day at the end of week 4. The second failed the week 6 exam and his score was too low for a talk up. One of our group failed signalling school at week 6 before and got put back to week 1 which is why he is with us now but he’s doing a lot better.

As long as you put the effort in and study hard you’ll get on fine. Study with your classmates too as you can bounce ideas and info off each other. If you have any other questions just let me know as I’m currently in York bearing there end of the course :)

Thanks for taking the time to explain that, I'm still nervous about it but not afraid of putting the work in so hopefully I'll be alright. Best of luck for the rest of the course!

nikibee

Thanks for taking the time to explain that, I'm still nervous about it but not afraid of putting the work in so hopefully I'll be alright. Best of luck for the rest of the course!
Thanks.
Like I said if you have any other questions I’ll try my best to help you out.

I was super nervous before I got here. Still am to be honest! Next week is the last written exam, week 12 the final observation, so fingers are crossed I can make it through those.

Empzurg

I passed the online test about 2 weeks ago for a grade 3 position in Crediton and had an email telling me my application is under consideration. I understand it can take some time to hear anything more but what are the chances they may have started interviews and I simply haven't got one on this occasion?

What's the point of having a closing date for applications if you are going to then take weeks/months to follow it up?

ChrisRS

I passed the online test about 2 weeks ago for a grade 3 position in Crediton and had an email telling me my application is under consideration. I understand it can take some time to hear anything more but what are the chances they may have started interviews and I simply haven't got one on this occasion?

What's the point of having a closing date for applications if you are going to then take weeks/months to follow it up?

2 weeks is nothing by railway standards, it can take time to sift through 70+ applications and pick suitable candidates for interview.

Defenestrate

Hello all,
I am another reader of this thread that has been finding the information invaluable in my (external) application to become a signaller. Thanks to all.
So far I've had no need to post anything, as the answers to any questions have been somewhere within.
I've had a couple of interviews that have been unsuccessful (but that I thought went really well haha!) but i'm not giving up - and have just been selected for interview in a weeks time. Sadly I am working that day, and am unable to get time off to attend it (there would also be a considerable journey time, so would have to be a whole holiday day).

My question eventually therefore, is: From your knowledge/experience, how flexible are NR recruitment in accommodating this kind of thing - are other times/dates possible? Has anyone been in a similar predicament, and if so what happened?

I guess it must be a fairly regular occurrence? I emailed the recruitment team to explain, and offered some alternatives and tried to show how flexible that I could be, and I'd also guess they aren't looking for people that would pull a cheeky sick day whenever they feel like it - which could prove to be a sticking point if there isn't another time slot/day available for the interview.

If this has been covered somewhere within, then i'll call the opticians tomorrow...thanks in advance.

Chumba

Hello all,
I am another reader of this thread that has been finding the information invaluable in my (external) application to become a signaller. Thanks to all.
So far I've had no need to post anything, as the answers to any questions have been somewhere within.
I've had a couple of interviews that have been unsuccessful (but that I thought went really well haha!) but i'm not giving up - and have just been selected for interview in a weeks time. Sadly I am working that day, and am unable to get time off to attend it (there would also be a considerable journey time, so would have to be a whole holiday day).

My question eventually therefore, is: From your knowledge/experience, how flexible are NR recruitment in accommodating this kind of thing - are other times/dates possible? Has anyone been in a similar predicament, and if so what happened?

I guess it must be a fairly regular occurrence? I emailed the recruitment team to explain, and offered some alternatives and tried to show how flexible that I could be, and I'd also guess they aren't looking for people that would pull a cheeky sick day whenever they feel like it - which could prove to be a sticking point if there isn't another time slot/day available for the interview.

If this has been covered somewhere within, then i'll call the opticians tomorrow...thanks in advance.

I had an interview a few months ago and the date was inconvenient as I was going to a funeral. I rang and they rescheduled for the next day. On another note my last interview HR rang me and asked if I could reschedule to the day before as the hiring manger had a change of circumstances. So overall i'd say they can be flexible subject to availability of the hiring manager. Remember if you make the interview stage they have already sifted you through a few stages and you are in the top few candidates so they are keen to see you.

Defenestrate

I had an interview a few months ago and the date was inconvenient as I was going to a funeral. I rang and they rescheduled for the next day. On another note my last interview HR rang me and asked if I could reschedule to the day before as the hiring manger had a change of circumstances. So overall i'd say they can be flexible subject to availability of the hiring manager. Remember if you make the interview stage they have already sifted you through a few stages and you are in the top few candidates so they are keen to see you.

Thanks - that's reassuring!

Peterperfect

Thanks.
Like I said if you have any other questions I’ll try my best to help you out.

I was super nervous before I got here. Still am to be honest! Next week is the last written exam, week 12 the final observation, so fingers are crossed I can make it through those.

Youll scoosh the week 11. Much easier than week 6. Just take your time on week 12. Theres no rush to do things quickly. Better slow and safe.

Good luck.

SJCembre

Hi all,

Can anyone share some info on what a grade 4 might be pulling each month on a 12 hour roster?

Even some info on a grade 3 standard wage would be great