• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Stodge

Had a weird email today from NR. Applied for a G2 position, had the interview, heard nothin since (couple of months)....received an email today saying that my my application was unsuccessful due to 'failure to confirm attendance'.....what the hell does that mean? I've had no correspondence since the interview...nothing changed online until today...weird...

I had the same email. I'm guessing it was for the same post. I spoke to HR on the phone and they said interviews for two roles at the same location had been combined and so you could only technically attend the interview for one role. Although the way I understood it was you are considered for both roles and are effectively interviewing for two roles at once. Quite confusing but I still have the other role stood at "assessment 2 completed"

Doubly confusing when the IRC number quoted to me on my interview offer is the one that I "didn't attend"

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dan 2513

Good Evening everyone.

I’ve seen many people post about their current status of applications being shown in their online portals.
Is that just for current employees or can externals also access this?
I don’t seem to be able to log into anything myself, I’ve got a link in the response to submitting my first part of the application process and that asks for a User ID and Password however I don’t have either of them in any of my emails.

Any advice as to where I should look for this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

TomBoyd

Hi all, random question I noticed last night whilst looking at my myconnect that I have an application open for a role in traffic management! I completely forgot about It. Anyone based at three bridges roc or asc who has heard anything? I'm assuming it's not going to happen as it's been that long.
Cheers guys.

It is happening. At the roc. Not sure of the timeline at the moment

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Good Evening everyone.

I’ve seen many people post about their current status of applications being shown in their online portals.
Is that just for current employees or can externals also access this?
I don’t seem to be able to log into anything myself, I’ve got a link in the response to submitting my first part of the application process and that asks for a User ID and Password however I don’t have either of them in any of my emails.

Any advice as to where I should look for this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Your status is for both internal and external applicants.

Dave 5-5-5

I had the same email. I'm guessing it was for the same post. I spoke to HR on the phone and they said interviews for two roles at the same location had been combined and so you could only technically attend the interview for one role. Although the way I understood it was you are considered for both roles and are effectively interviewing for two roles at once. Quite confusing but I still have the other role stood at "assessment 2 completed"

Doubly confusing when the IRC number quoted to me on my interview offer is the one that I "didn't attend"
I was told the 5 vacancies at my location were actually spread across 3 boxes. It just made life easier to put them all at one locations

Kevyboy

Just been offered my first signaller job. This was the 6th interview I've had this year, as well as numerous other applications that didn't get that far, and my first success!

I post this as encouragement to anyone out there - don't give up...you can succeed with the right positive attitude.

My first signaller interview (back in April) seemed to go really well...but looking back I now see just how far off I was from giving the best possible answers. Lots of practice on interview technique, revision of safety related stuff, the 8 non technical skills and polishing some decent examples and i'm due to start in December (subject to all the paperwork being completed).
I have just had word through about attending an interview. I have applied about a dozen times before without any joy. Could you please give me some advice and what are the 8 non technical skills?

Thanks.

Dan 2513

I have just had word through about attending an interview. I have applied about a dozen times before without any joy. Could you please give me some advice and what are the 8 non technical skills?

Thanks.

Hello.
Well done on getting the interview,

While looking through this forum I am sure I saw a link about those 8 skills.
Try typing that in the forum search bar to look for past conversations on it.

Good luck for the interview!

Chumba

Thanks.

8 NTS are in a post somewhere in this forum or on the NR web site also learn the safety vision including the 10 lifesaving rules. It’s always asked !

Kevyboy

Hello.
Well done on getting the interview,

While looking through this forum I am sure I saw a link about those 8 skills.
Try typing that in the forum search bar to look for past conversations on it.

Good luck for the interview!
Thank You. I have found them now.

Dan 2513

Today I checked up on my application via my online NR profile.

It now has two rows saying
“Invite for assessment 2 pending”
One dated for Wednesday and the second today.

Does that mean that my application is being looked at by two different managers?

Peterperfect

Today I checked up on my application via my online NR profile.

It now has two rows saying
“Invite for assessment 2 pending”
One dated for Wednesday and the second today.

Does that mean that my application is being looked at by two different managers?

You should get an interview. Good luck.

Morning

Does anyone know the shift patterns at Woking and Feltham - i.e. 8 or 12 hours and any other potentially useful information?

Thanks!

Dave 5-5-5

First day today sorting out bits and pieces. Off to Westwood on Wednesday for a Thursday/Friday attendance then start signalling school properly on Monday. Anyone else heading that way? Met a new starter at Barnetby today, he's on here but no idea of his username.

GingerRH

Morning

Does anyone know the shift patterns at Woking and Feltham - i.e. 8 or 12 hours and any other potentially useful information?

Thanks!

Feltham and Woking both 8 hour rosters.

Feltham is a grade 7, however moving to Basingstoke starting 2021. You’re more likely to get a job at Feltham than Woking. Will take around 1 year off the street to pass out completely should you be successful. Also has a SSM at the location who do various tasks for you such as sort out GZACs and the WON and make all phone calls to control etc for you.

Woking, if it’s a grade 8 it won’t go to someone off the street, if it’s a 5, then potentially off the street. No SSM here.

Feltham and Woking both 8 hour rosters.

Feltham is a grade 7, however moving to Basingstoke starting 2021. You’re more likely to get a job at Feltham than Woking. Will take around 1 year off the street to pass out completely should you be successful. Also has a SSM at the location who do various tasks for you such as sort out GZACs and the WON and make all phone calls to control etc for you.

Woking, if it’s a grade 8 it won’t go to someone off the street, if it’s a 5, then potentially off the street. No SSM here.

That's really helpful, thank you.

Woking is a grade 5 so the Feltham one is more appealing given that they are both similar distances from me. Having said that a 12 hour roster would have reduced the travelling. I'm guessing Basingstoke is 8 hours too?

GZACs and WON?

MOM67

Woking is a grade 5 so the Feltham one is more appealing given that they are both similar distances from me. Having said that a 12 hour roster would have reduced the travelling. I'm guessing Basingstoke is 8 hours too?

GZACs and WON?

GZAC - Green Zone Access Co-ordinator (details of Line Blockages)
WON - Weekly Operating Notice (a weekly publication detailing complete blockages(T3s), Speed Restrictions, Safety stuff and alterations to signals etc)

GingerRH

GZACs and WON?

Basingstoke ROC has a 99% chance of NOT being a 12 hour roster as NR are trying to get rid of them, so I’d be putting money on it being an 8 hour.

Yes. Don’t think there are any 12hr rosters on Wessex as yet. I imagine Basingstoke ROC will be the first.

Nearest 12hr boxes would be Didcot, London or TBROC.

I must have drawn the short straw :lol:

Don’t think Basing is going to be 12hours if I’m honest!

Hahah I’m sure it’s not that bad with the short straw :p

nom de guerre

Basingstoke ROC has a 99% chance of NOT being a 12 hour roster as NR are trying to get rid of them, so I’d be putting money on it being an 8 hour.

Interesting - ta.

The ORR thing has been simmering for months now. I can see NR perhaps moving away from introducing new 12hr rosters in future, but if they remove existing ones there’ll be a mutiny...

Yes. Don’t think there are any 12hr rosters on Wessex as yet. I imagine Basingstoke ROC will be the first.

Nearest 12hr boxes would be Didcot, London or TBROC.

I don't suppose you know what a 'typical' 8 hour roster would look like - possibly with 12hr weekends? I've looked back through the forum and I can't seem to find anything on this (someone has posted a 12hr shift pattern). I'm interested mainly in what sort of rest day pattern there would be

nom de guerre

The last 8hr roster I worked was:

(Starting on Monday; 12hr Sundays)

14 14 RD RD 06 06 06
06 06 06 06 RD RD RD
RD RD 14 14 14 14 22
22 22 22 22 22 22 RD

A real grind.