• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

bouff34

The last 8hr roster I worked was:

(Starting on Monday; 12hr Sundays)

14 14 RD RD 06 06 06
06 06 06 06 RD RD RD
RD RD 14 14 14 14 22
22 22 22 22 22 22 RD

A real grind.

Another variation is:

22 22 RD 14 14 14 RD
14 14 14 RD 06 06 (06X18)
06 06 06 06 RD RD RD
RD RD 22 22 22 22 (18X6)

Again Sundays are 12 hrs. Every four of these 28 day rotations you earn an additional two RD's which are added to the five RD block.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ljmac

If you were on an 8 hour shift but stayed on to make it a 12 would the extra 4 be at an enhanced rate?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Basingstoke ROC has a 99% chance of NOT being a 12 hour roster as NR are trying to get rid of them, so I’d be putting money on it being an 8 hour.

Don’t think Basing is going to be 12hours if I’m honest!

Hahah I’m sure it’s not that bad with the short straw :p

Trying to get rid of 12 hr rosters, they’ll have to drag them from our cold dead hands down here! Why on Earth anyone would want to go 8hrs is beyond me, let alone a mixed 8/12 roster.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
The last 8hr roster I worked was:

(Starting on Monday; 12hr Sundays)

14 14 RD RD 06 06 06
06 06 06 06 RD RD RD
RD RD 14 14 14 14 22
22 22 22 22 22 22 RD

A real grind.

Good god !
We’re in consultation on a new 12 hr roster to replace the current one, 3 ON, 7 OFF, 3 On and repeat :)

GingerRH

Good god !
We’re in consultation on a new 12 hr roster to replace the current one, 3 ON, 7 OFF, 3 On and repeat :)

Doubt that’ll get through as 6 12hrs would fail the fatigue index and doesn’t comply with NRPs (maximum of 4 12hr rostered turns in a row).

Chaz T

Today I checked up on my application via my online NR profile.

It now has two rows saying
“Invite for assessment 2 pending”
One dated for Wednesday and the second today.

Does that mean that my application is being looked at by two different managers?

Best luck in moving forward to the next step.

I've applied for 5 roles so far and no interview. Had some really odd progress on some applications though.

My first looked like I would get an interview but got the dreaded unsuccessful email.

Application Under Review
Application Accepted
Application Under Consideration
Invited to Test
Test Completed
Test Completed
Application under consideration for assessment 2
Test Completed
Application Unsuccessful
Unsuccessful

My next 1 was really odd.

Application Under Review
Application Accepted
Application Unsuccessful
Unsuccessful

Then the next 2 were a bit of a puzzle too

Application Under Review
Application Accepted
Test Completed
Test Completed
Application Unsuccessful
Unsuccessful

And

Application Under Review
Application Accepted
Test Completed
Test Completed
Application Unsuccessful
Unsuccessful

Still left with one application open, so still hoping.

Jbhooper

I've applied for 5 roles so far and no interview. Had some really odd progress on some applications though.

My first looked like I would get an interview but got the dreaded unsuccessful email.

Application Under Review
Application Accepted
Invited to Test
Test Completed
Test Completed
Test Completed
Application Unsuccessful
Unsuccessful

Application Under Review
Application Accepted
Application Unsuccessful
Unsuccessful

Application Under Review
Application Accepted
Test Completed
Test Completed
Application Unsuccessful
Unsuccessful

And

Application Under Review
Application Accepted
Test Completed
Test Completed
Application Unsuccessful
Unsuccessful

So I've had many similar progressions until my latest go. Applying for grade 5 signaller at lancing signal box. I think there are 3 positions.
Current status is 'invite to assessment 2 pending' and hasn't changed for 3 weeks so far.
Another poster said he's been waiting for 4 weeks on the same status, and haven't heard anything from them yet.

I'm hopeful soon my invite to interview will appear, and then I can dread what on earth I'm going to do! Haven't been interviewed in a loooong time.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. It's good to know there are plenty of hopefuls in the same situation.

Dan 2513

Application Under Review
Application Accepted
Invited to Test
Test Completed
Test Completed
Test Completed
Application Unsuccessful
Unsuccessful

Application Under Review
Application Accepted
Application Unsuccessful
Unsuccessful

Application Under Review
Application Accepted
Test Completed
Test Completed
Application Unsuccessful
Unsuccessful

And

Application Under Review
Application Accepted
Test Completed
Test Completed
Application Unsuccessful
Unsuccessful

Thanks.
I got word yesterday that I have an interview in November so that’s good news.
still a really long way to go yet even if I am successful there.

I am sure you will get there too. I guess all you can do is keep trying.
I don’t really know how you can change anything on your applications as it’s my first one so I am not sure about that sort of stuff but I am sure a read on here that you can do that.
That might be worth a shot?
It will all work out in the end though.

good luck with your remaining application!

Chaz T

Thanks.
I got word yesterday that I have an interview in November so that’s good news.
still a really long way to go yet even if I am successful there.

I am sure you will get there too. I guess all you can do is keep trying.
I don’t really know how you can change anything on your applications as it’s my first one so I am not sure about that sort of stuff but I am sure a read on here that you can do that.
That might be worth a shot?
It will all work out in the end though.

good luck with your remaining application!

Well done Dan on getting the interview. Best of luck

Garion

Did anyone have an interview for the Kirton Lindsey box? If so, have you heard anything? I was interviewed over 2 months ago but have heard nothing. Emailed HR but no luck and still showing as Assessment 2 Scheduled.

I know the process takes a while but interview results seem to be the quickest part of the process for a lot of roles.

Jaysub

So I've had many similar progressions until my latest go. Applying for grade 5 signaller at lancing signal box. I think there are 3 positions.
Current status is 'invite to assessment 2 pending' and hasn't changed for 3 weeks so far.
Another poster said he's been waiting for 4 weeks on the same status, and haven't heard anything from them yet.

I'm hopeful soon my invite to interview will appear, and then I can dread what on earth I'm going to do! Haven't been interviewed in a loooong time.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. It's good to know there are plenty of hopefuls in the same situation.
Iv had waiting for ass 2
For 7 weeks now and been told they have interviewed already so i dont think im lucky this time bud

Last edited:

Ian Smeeton

Did anyone have an interview for the Kirton Lindsey box? If so, have you heard anything? I was interviewed over 2 months ago but have heard nothing. Emailed HR but no luck and still showing as Assessment 2 Scheduled.

I know the process takes a while but interview results seem to be the quickest part of the process for a lot of roles.

I was sat at Assessment 2 scheduled for over 4 months for that one.

No e-mail or anything form HR, but mine turned to unsuccessful on Monday of this week.

Similarly, I have heard, on here that the Oakham Relief Job has gone, but still at Assessment 2 scheduled on my list of applications.

Patience, Patience, and keep applying

Regards

Ian

Ian Smeeton

Talking of 'Keep Applying', I have just noticed that there is a new vacancy at a box that I applied for and was interviewed for earlier this year.

Do the esteemed company on this thread think that it is worth reapplying, or should I take the last rejection as final?

Regards

Ian

Chumba

Talking of 'Keep Applying', I have just noticed that there is a new vacancy at a box that I applied for and was interviewed for earlier this year.

Do the esteemed company on this thread think that it is worth reapplying, or should I take the last rejection as final?

Regards

Ian

Yes definitely reapply ! I applied for a box about 4 months ago and didn’t get it. A few weeks later another vacancy at the same box, I reapplied (using exact same application / examples on the form). And have recently been offered the job!

gareth386

12 hour rosters are great once you're on them, bit daunting for some if you've never worked them before though.
They will pretty much always be better than an 8hr but I guess it depends on peoples personal circumstances.

gareth386

Here's my current roster. It's absolutely crap but hoping we're going to go to 12's in the new year.
8hr with 12hr Sundays.
Sun. Mon. Tues. Wed. Thurs. Fri. Sat
Wk1. Off. O6. 06. 06. RD. RD. RD
2. Off. 14. 14. 14. 22. 22. 22
3. 18. RD. RD. RD. 06. 06. 06
4. 06. 22. 22. 22. RD. 14. 14
5. Off. 06. 06. 06. 14. RD. RD
6. Off. 14. 14. 14. 22. 22. 22
7. 18. RD. RD. RD. 06. 06. 06
8. 06. 22. 22. 22. RD. 14. 14

felicita

hello :) this is my first post here, I've recently applied for Grade 3 Signaller and I'm at the stage now where my application is forwarded to hiring manager.Could anyone guide me what's next? what to expect on the interview? I've read about 8 Non technical questions, and safety vision. I've good pretty good job at the moment( I'm a train operator) I'm on a better pay than they offer but fancy a change. Hola signallers could you tell me more about your job? is it exciting? challenging? boring? easy to make a mistake? thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
If your a Train Operator aka driver I assume with LU it really depends on how secure you feel your future is with LU until the end of your career.

Being a Signaller is a world away from a TO, depending on where you work obviously you could be overseeing upto 30 trains at any one time with all the issues that throws up.

Add into the mix faults or failures, phone calls from TDA, TRC, set swaps, swaps of set swaps and you soon end up jiggling more plates than you have hands.

But....that’s what makes the job fun and enjoyable for me anyway.

Pay, again depending on where You are ranges from circa £23,000 up to circa £49,000 basic. Opportunity to earn sums upto and over £100,000 are very realistic but you will live at work on those P60 numbers, and you’ll need to be Grade 6/7 upwards.

Average earnings for the higher grades 6/7/8/9 are around the £60-80,000 range with mild overtime.

Pension is final salary on RPS 65, we can pay extra into BRASS to form a nice little nest egg on top of your lump sum/pension after 40 years service.

No travel universally anyway of any kind, unless protected from BR service.

Generally left alone to do your job, and treated like a professional is a bonus as well.

All in all I’d recommend the job wholeheartedly.

felicita

If your a Train Operator aka driver I assume with LU it really depends on how secure you feel your future is with LU until the end of your career.

Being a Signaller is a world away from a TO, depending on where you work obviously you could be overseeing upto 30 trains at any one time with all the issues that throws up.

Add into the mix faults or failures, phone calls from TDA, TRC, set swaps, swaps of set swaps and you soon end up jiggling more plates than you have hands.

But....that’s what makes the job fun and enjoyable for me anyway.

Pay, again depending on where You are ranges from circa £23,000 up to circa £49,000 basic. Opportunity to earn sums upto and over £100,000 are very realistic but you will live at work on those P60 numbers, and you’ll need to be Grade 6/7 upwards.

Average earnings for the higher grades 6/7/8/9 are around the £60-80,000 range with mild overtime.

Pension is final salary on RPS 65, we can pay extra into BRASS to form a nice little nest egg on top of your lump sum/pension after 40 years service.

No travel universally anyway of any kind, unless protected from BR service.

Generally left alone to do your job, and treated like a professional is a bonus as well.

All in all I’d recommend the job wholeheartedly.

Hi Tom
Thank you for reply, the pay starts at 32k, I'm not with LU, job is pretty secure but painfully boring

They want me for interview next week OMGGGGGG

Leo_724677

Signaller school end of the month for me. Does anybody know when you usually receive the joining instructions? Is it during the week before?

Luke_7

Morning all,

Recently applied for a grade 2 signaller position at Wigton sb and have just been sent the online tests, anybody have any tips on how best to prepare for them? Does the situational judgement one require any knowledge of the rail? Cause I really don’t have much of that bit of a blank canvas in that respect, also anybody know if that box is on 8 hours or 12s?

Any help would be hugely appreciated thank you!

Morning all,

Recently applied for a grade 2 signaller position at Wigton sb and have just been sent the online tests, anybody have any tips on how best to prepare for them? Does the situational judgement one require any knowledge of the rail? Cause I really don’t have much of that bit of a blank canvas in that respect, also anybody know if that box is on 8 hours or 12s?

Any help would be hugely appreciated thank you!

There are a couple of practice tests you can do just before you do them for real, and I think there may be a post on here that contains a link to some more. As for the SJT, you can't really prepare for them as they are designed to assess your responses to given situations. What I would say is rules and safety come before anything else in terms of answers.

Good luck