• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Peterperfect

Theres a place to put you bike inside the security fence at school. You can get bus and claim the fares if you keep your tickets.
Are you not getting train? Travel is paid for.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Habitat

Theres a place to put you bike inside the security fence at school. You can get bus and claim the fares if you keep your tickets.
Are you not getting train? Travel is paid for.

Thank you for the heads up on bike storage, do you know if there's a shelter?
I'm driving to the hotel on the Sunday night, it cuts my journey time in half at each end of the week.
Is there a bus route along the road where the Marriott Hotel is to the station?

Peterperfect

Thank you for the heads up on bike storage, do you know if there's a shelter?
I'm driving to the hotel on the Sunday night, it cuts my journey time in half at each end of the week.
Is there a bus route along the road where the Marriott Hotel is to the station?
There is a bike shelter outside main entrance of school building. Thats inside the perimeter security fence and gate.
There is buses that run by marriott to station. Then you just go over platform bridge down steps and through gate right at bottom on left side. Thats the back way in.
If you cycle in from Marriott your better taking the other bridge as its a short cut and the way you'd go if you walked.

Bike route in red
Bus in blue

Still dont get why you would take your car if NWR pay your train fares?

Attachments

• 20191022_201825.jpg
    20191022_201825.jpg
    745.4 KB · Views: 33

North123

York Marriott Hotel to Signaller school
I've had a look on Google maps, 30 min walk.
I'm driving to the hotel and was thinking about taking my bike.
How have you guys travelled to York school before?

Currently staying at the Marriott, any questions just pm me

Jbhooper

Thanks again to everyone posting their wisdom in this thread, it's going to be my point of research since I managed to finally get an interview! Lancing signal box.

Does anybody have any info on lancing? How many trains? Size of area covered? And whether it's the building on the level crossing? I always assumed that was for the crossing keeper.

Time to start practicing interview questions in the mirror.

TRain87

York Marriott Hotel to Signaller school
I've had a look on Google maps, 30 min walk.
I'm driving to the hotel and was thinking about taking my bike.
How have you guys travelled to York school before?
Walk...it literally takes about 20 mins, I was in same hotel for MOM school

TRain87

To add, everyone puts on weight at signalling school, the last thing you need is two bus journeys a day!
Amen to that! 3 meals a day, plus sitting around studying and the odd beer after a stressful sim session...the walk to and from school was my only exercise for 9 weeks, as weekends I needed to relax/get on the proper beer and forget the week I had! 5 stone on in 3 years :'(

North123

Thank you, I hope your course is going well.
How do you travel from the hotel to school?

we just walk it, it’s about 30 mins walk. It’s Quite nice really. You can get the bus or sometimes some drive in but it’s hit and miss whether they let you park at campus

Saracen_83

The walk is nice, past the race course etc, only got the bus late Night (after sim time) or in bad weather...

Bus pass is cheaper if you plan on getting public transport, (which stops outside hotel) and is then available for you to travel around York and you can claim this back via NR (we did) means you go visit various places whilst up there...

yes get your head down, and yes study hard, but also remember you need to relax and enjoy your surroundings...or you will go stir crazy

Maximus37

Hi, I've been offered a Grade 2 position at Crag Hall, near Saltburn. Pre-employment checks completed just waiting for my medical. When I had my interview the LOM at the time said the shifts were condensed into 3 weeks with a week off at the end of each month. I was just wondering whether anyone had any more specifics with regards to that particular box.
I have phoned and asked for the LOM's contact details but was told I couldn't be given them. Many thanks in advance.

J-P

Long time lurker, first time poster, so firstly just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the invaluable help in this thread, although I only reached roughly page 80 or so before my interview

Quick question on the time it takes to get D& A results back after the medical.
I was told 2-3 days and results would be sent straight to the person who referred you, but I had mine two weeks ago today and I've still yet to hear anything.
Anyone know the average time for them to come back?

That's the last step of the pre employment checks before being placed in a training course so nearly there

ChrisRS

Long time lurker, first time poster, so firstly just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the invaluable help in this thread, although I only reached roughly page 80 or so before my interview

I was told 2-3 days and results would be sent straight to the person who referred you, but I had mine two weeks ago today and I've still yet to hear anything.

That's the last step of the pre employment checks before being placed in a training course so nearly there

No news is good news, so the medical examiner said. If there were any issues you would of heard back by now.

Just await your email from onboarding. Was about 1-2 weeks for myself.

Maximus37

If that is a 12 hour shift box someone posted a typical roster not long ago.

Thanks Llanigraham. I'll have another look on this thread. Tbh I'm unsure as to whether it's a 12 or 8 hour roster. Only my medical to go (gulp!) then it will be off to Westwood in February by the looks of it. I was hoping for York for convenience but over-the-moon regardless. Thank you as well Peterperfect, this board has been invaluable to me and so many others in getting a foot-in-the-door.

HelixUK

I was impatient waiting for D&A results so after about 8 days I phoned HR who raised a ticket or whatever it's called to try and find out. The next day I had all the paperwork through etc.

No harm in giving them a nudge.

J-P

No news is good news, so the medical examiner said. If there were any issues you would of heard back by now.

Just await your email from onboarding. Was about 1-2 weeks for myself.

That's great to hear cheers.
I wouldn't have queried it had the medical examiner not said it only takes a few days for the results, so after two weeks I would have expected to hear, but I'll get back in my box and wait it out

Thanks again

MOM67

Hi All,
Anyone on here starting at York tomorrow? (21st October)

How did you find your first week ? A fair while ago for me but I remember travelling back home thinking "WH@T THE FA@@K"?"?" ...lol

Macca89

Good afternoon guys

I’ve just today applied for grade 2 positions at Brigg SB as well as Gainsborough/Northorpe SB

anyone have any info on shift patterns etc for these boxes

thanks in advance

linnet_ranger

I've just been informed that I have an interview for the G3 signaller role at Farncombe. To say I am over the moon is an understatement! I have applied on and off for the last 2 years or so without ever getting to interview, so even if I am unsuccessful I am hoping I can learn a lot from it.

Would any of you lovely people be able to give me any information on the box itself?

I gather it is a panel box from what I have seen online and it appears to be immediately adjacent to a level crossing. I assume this is under the signallers' control? I am also assuming it is an 8 hour shift box. Would anyone happen to know the pattern of the rota?

I also understand it is subject to closure but I can't see when for. Any information on the above would be a Godsend.

I know I need to put some homework into the 8 NTS's. If anyone would have any other advice I would welcome it.

Thanks in advance for any help/pointers.

Last edited:

J-P

I was impatient waiting for D&A results so after about 8 days I phoned HR who raised a ticket or whatever it's called to try and find out. The next day I had all the paperwork through etc.

No harm in giving them a nudge.

I'll give it a chase on Monday and see what they say, thanks

SiggerSigAhh

Hi, does anyone know how to access Oracle please? There's a shortcut on my box computer but it appears to be broken as I keep getting a 'this page cannot be displayed...." message.

Can you access it via Connect or....? Trying to apply for a new role but can't access the fecking site to do so argh.

Ta in advance for any help :)

Chumba

I've just been informed that I have an interview for the G3 signaller role at Farncombe. To say I am over the moon is an understatement! I have applied on and off for the last 2 years or so without ever getting to interview, so even if I am unsuccessful I am hoping I can learn a lot from it.

Would any of you lovely people be able to give me any information on the box itself?

I gather it is a panel box from what I have seen online and it appears to be immediately adjacent to a level crossing. I assume this is under the signallers' control? I am also assuming it is an 8 hour shift box. Would anyone happen to know the pattern of the rota?

I also understand it is subject to closure but I can't see when for. Any information on the above would be a Godsend.

I know I need to put some homework into the 8 NTS's. If anyone would have any other advice I would welcome it.

Thanks in advance for any help/pointers.

Have sent you a PM

nom de guerre

A few years since I worked in the area, so updates welcome.

Standard Wessex single-manned roster (8hr shifts with 12hr Sundays).

Panel is OCS (One Control Switch). TCB area. Area of control is plain line throughout (ie no points). Main responsibility is operating the two level crossings at Farncombe (a CCTV just north of the station and the MCB next to the box) and monitoring Milford AHBC.

IIRC there are only two controlled signals in each direction, plus a pair of autos with emergency replacement switches at Milford. There is also a Non-Stop/Stopping control for Milford AHBC, which needs to be operated for each down train.

There used to be a box cat back in the day but I think she's long-gone now.

Good luck!

linnet_ranger

A few years since I worked in the area, so updates welcome.

Standard Wessex single-manned roster (8hr shifts with 12hr Sundays).

Panel is OCS (One Control Switch). TCB area. Area of control is plain line throughout (ie no points). Main responsibility is operating the two level crossings at Farncombe (a CCTV just north of the station and the MCB next to the box) and monitoring Milford AHBC.

IIRC there are only two controlled signals in each direction, plus a pair of autos with emergency replacement switches at Milford. There is also a Non-Stop/Stopping control for Milford AHBC, which needs to be operated for each down train.

There used to be a box cat back in the day but I think she's long-gone now.

Good luck!

Big thanks for this Nom. Both you and Sunset Route have been really helpful over the last couple of years with any questions I have asked. Most grateful.