• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Defenestrate

I was looking at the NR page about routes - https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/our-routes/ - and noticed number 12, the High Speed route, i.e. HS1. It made me wonder about the signalling - is it similar to the rest of the network, just that the trains go faster? Or are there any specific "things" for HS1 only? Where are the signallers based, and what grade etc?
It's not important btw, i'm just curious!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Davieo

The majority of HS1 runs on a french signalling system called TVM, which is basically in cab signalling. As a result their signallers learn a different rule book and use different work forms. They are based in Ashford IECC, Grade 8. All the training is 'in house' too and therefore you wouldn't get the same competencies/qualifications that you would traditionally get if you went for a signalling role elsewhere in the country.
I hope this answers your questions.

I was looking at the NR page about routes - https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/our-routes/ - and noticed number 12, the High Speed route, i.e. HS1. It made me wonder about the signalling - is it similar to the rest of the network, just that the trains go faster? Or are there any specific "things" for HS1 only? Where are the signallers based, and what grade etc?

Sunset route

It uses the French TVM430 cab signalling and signalling control and located within Ashford IECC building along with the conventional UK based signalling. There is in effect three signalling centres all under the same roof. The original Ashford (IECC) controlling the Tonbridge main line, Ashford “North Kent” controlling the Dartford area and Ashford “High Speed” controlling HS1

Habitat

Network rail core values?
Apparently there's 4.
Two of them, I think, are
Equality
Customer driven

Leafage

Hi
I'm new to the process of applying as a Signaller at Haslemere relief(my local station) and wondered if anyone could help with the pathway and some good resources for me to revise?
My background is land surveying with a bias at one point of working on railway projects. I've held a PTS card on and off for about 20 years and worked on NR, HS1 and LUL.
I've completed my online application and the 72 questions. All seems to have gone well and I've been sent a link to complete an online assessment. There are links to practice questions which I will attempt.
This is my second try, the first time resulted in me giving up as unable to open certain elements of the online assessment.
I'm sure there's lots of advice in this part of the forum, however time is short and I'm not that in the know regarding the process and what to expect.
Thanks for your time.

linnet_ranger

Hi
I'm new to the process of applying as a Signaller at Haslemere relief(my local station) and wondered if anyone could help with the pathway and some good resources for me to revise?
My background is land surveying with a bias at one point of working on railway projects. I've held a PTS card on and off for about 20 years and worked on NR, HS1 and LUL.
I've completed my online application and the 72 questions. All seems to have gone well and I've been sent a link to complete an online assessment. There are links to practice questions which I will attempt.
This is my second try, the first time resulted in me giving up as unable to open certain elements of the online assessment.
I'm sure there's lots of advice in this part of the forum, however time is short and I'm not that in the know regarding the process and what to expect.
Thanks for your time.

Hi Leafage. Best advice would be to get your assessments done ASAP as your main priority. You say time is short but the recruitment process with NR can be quite drawn out so you may have longer to revise than expected.

Have a good look through NR's website, particularly focusing on the Safety Vision. The other important step would be to google the 8 non-technical skills that NR look to explore at interview. Those things will set you on the right path.

Third thing to do is make time to read ALL the way through this forum (yes - 208 pages!). It's gold dust and if this is seriously a career you wish to pursue then think of it as a wise investment of time.

Good luck with your application. Fingers crossed for you.

Leafage

Thanks linnet_ranger.

Really appreciate your reply.
I'm working my way through this thread, there's some useful information in here.
I will do as you suggest regarding background reading, however I'm more concerned with what to expect in the online assessment.
Can I start the online assessment and come back to it, or does it need to be done in one sitting?
I really want to be prepared this time.
Thanks again.

Dan 2513

Thanks linnet_ranger.

Really appreciate your reply.
I'm working my way through this thread, there's some useful information in here.
I will do as you suggest regarding background reading, however I'm more concerned with what to expect in the online assessment.
Can I start the online assessment and come back to it, or does it need to be done in one sitting?
I really want to be prepared this time.
Thanks again.

Don't rush into these tests. Aside from the links to the practice ones I’d recommend doing some additional online ones that you can find through google. Especially the numerical reasoning one.!! Check out working with %.

I don’t think you can pause them once you have started them you have to carry on,The numbers one is definitely timed but I can’t remember if the others were too.

I didn’t answer all the numbers test questions. I think i did 16/17 of them and I passed so don’t panic just make sure you concentrate on getting the correct answer before moving on. Don’t just guess to get them all answered as I think it works out on a % of correct answers rather than how many you get done.

good luck!

Leafage

Thanks Dan 2513.
Pleased that there are numeracy tests. I'm in with a shout with my background!
I'll gen up with the sample tests before proceeding.
Cheers

Defenestrate

Don't rush into these tests. Aside from the links to the practice ones I’d recommend doing some additional online ones that you can find through google. Especially the numerical reasoning one.!! Check out working with %.

I don’t think you can pause them once you have started them you have to carry on,The numbers one is definitely timed but I can’t remember if the others were too.

I didn’t answer all the numbers test questions. I think i did 16/17 of them and I passed so don’t panic just make sure you concentrate on getting the correct answer before moving on. Don’t just guess to get them all answered as I think it works out on a % of correct answers rather than how many you get done.

good luck!

Exactly as Dan says - practice and preparation!
Use the 5 days you have to get into to test routine, understand the format of the questions and get your setup right - having a calculator to hand, pen and paper etc or whatever works for you. Maths and verbal reasoning are timed, the situational judgement is not.

Time spent researching the latter stages of the process before you've passed the online assessments is time wasted in my opinion - priority should only be to smash the tests.

Rockhopper

Re the on line tests - the pass mark is not especially high so when you get through you think you’ve done incredibly well and the job is as good as yours
Sadly that’s not the case. The hiring manager will take everything into account, your CV, the 70 questions and your test results.
Also the test results are valid for six months so you can’t retake them if you realise you messed up and see another job you fancy.

North123

Anyone able to tell me what Westwood is like? I have heard a lot of negative things about the accommodation. Anyone have any experiences they can share?

P200E

I’ve seen a couple of my application status’s say consideration for assessment 2 but haven’t had an email to that effect, is this normal?

HelixUK

I’ve seen a couple of my application status’s say consideration for assessment 2 but haven’t had an email to that effect, is this normal?

Yeah it's normal. Had some of my previous ones sat at that with no correspondence for a while.

Hopefully you'll get an interview, good luck.

Synders

Anyone able to tell me what Westwood is like? I have heard a lot of negative things about the accommodation. Anyone have any experiences they can share?

I really can’t knock it. The facilities are amazing. They have a gym and pool on site. Cold and hot drinks on tap. Koi carp swim around the entire complex.

Most of the accommodation is used for the young level 3 appreciates.

More than likely you will end up in the village hotel. The village is about 3 miles away from Westwood. Again it has a pool and gym and well as sky tv in your room.

You get £25 for dinner and breakfast is part of your room booking. Lunch at west wood that’s all free.

The only pain is traveling to and from the hotel each day. We have 3 cars in the group so manage to work it well around sim sessions.

In a nut shell Westwood is a cracking environment.

North123

Cheers that was my worry about being put into the accommodation with younger appreciates. Heard story’s of load music and noise into the early hours. Fingers-crossed for the village hotel then! Thanks

P200E

Yeah it's normal. Had some of my previous ones sat at that with no correspondence for a while.

Hopefully you'll get an interview, good luck.
Cheers Helix, one says under consideration after the assessment 2 line and the other says test completed after the assessment 2 line so it’s s bit odd

Leafage

I'm pleased to say I've passed the questionnaire and the online assessment. I've been told I've reached the benchmark to pass and my application is being considered.
If all goes well, what can I expect next?
I'd like to be prepared for the next stage if I'm approved.
Really pleased, although the hassle behind accessing the online assessment from an IT point of view was painful. Had to get an IT friend to help me open them! Terrible trouble with opening the link. Doesn't open from the email, had to open the letter attachment in a new PDF app, copy and paste the link into a browser cleared of cookies with flash player updated and something else installed....... a proper chore!

Rockhopper

I’ll go to test completed then the next stage would be “application under consideration for assessment 2” which is the interview. It could take a while to get that far. Or it might just stay at test completed for several months, one of mine was six months. Then you get a message saying application unsuccessful.
Personally I wouldn't do anything now until you actually get an interview. You have enough time to prepare for it.

Last edited:

Amanda

Hey everyone,

I've just applied for a temporary position at Shirebrook and it is described as follows:

"Signaller (FP18%) - Shirebrook"

Does anyone know what the FP18% means please?