• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Macca89

Hi guys

Just a quick question as I'm a little confused. I applied for Grade 2 position at Northorpe SB and was invited to do the "online tests" however I was only invited to do just one test, the Situation Judgement Test, I'm just a little confused as to why I haven't been given the links to do the other 2 tests.

I did apply for this position last year, but I completed these test's more than 12 months ago, hence why I was expecting to have to do them all again.

I just hope they aren't still using my previous scores on record, as I've been revising/practising a lot, I feel confident and was ready to do them, but all I've got is SJT (which I've now completed).

I have emailed NR but thought I'd ask on here to incase anyone else has had the same happen and could shed any light, cheers guys.

Sigman141

Wow, this feed is highly informative.
I was curious if anyone on here is going into the January intake for signaller school.
I myself will be in this intake and was hoping to get a heads up on numbers of attendees etc??

Tomnick

Established Member
Hi all. A question if I may.

What is the difference between an OCS panel and an IFS panel? Are they not in essence one and the same?
On an OCS (One Control Switch) panel, there’s a switch for each route from each signal, and in normal working that’s all you need to operate - it sets all the points in the route by itself, although there are individual switches to control them manually if necessary.

On an IFS (Individual Function Switch) panel, you have to set the points individually before operating the switch to clear the signal - often there’ll only be one switch for all the routes from each signal, so it’s easier to pull off for the wrong route if you’ve managed to miss a set of points!

Leafage

Hi Leafage. Best advice would be to get your assessments done ASAP as your main priority. You say time is short but the recruitment process with NR can be quite drawn out so you may have longer to revise than expected.

Have a good look through NR's website, particularly focusing on the Safety Vision. The other important step would be to google the 8 non-technical skills that NR look to explore at interview. Those things will set you on the right path.

Third thing to do is make time to read ALL the way through this forum (yes - 208 pages!). It's gold dust and if this is seriously a career you wish to pursue then think of it as a wise investment of time.

Good luck with your application. Fingers crossed for you.
I've got my interview for the 19th November. I had no idea things would progress this fast! Just under two weeks from application to offer of interview.
Thanks for everyone's help, I'm sure I'll have more questions. Much appreciated.

SignalProspect

Hi guys really want a quick reply off someone in the role, I've had a role just go to "assessment 2 completed" but not received a phone call as yet.

Does this mean I have passed the interview phase???!!!

I only ask this as in a previous application I went straight from "assessment 2 scheduled" to "application unsuccessful"

Should I be jumping around my front room as I am now or calm myself down a little lol.

Rockhopper

No, it just means you’ve had the interview. They often take weeks to update the portal (if ever) so you’ve done well so far!

SignalProspect

Thanks for the reply, I have received an email saying I have passed the interview phase but unfortunately another candidate scored higher but I am first reserve (or best loser). So I have a 1% chance of getting that one. Shame two applications, two interviews and two second best prizes. Deflated.

J-P

Just got the phone call today and it looks like I'll be off to York for the 2nd December course after a delay in the D&A results being sent through.

Is there anyone else on it too?

9tfrizzco

I have been invited to interview for the Haslemere Relief vacancy. Can anyone recommend good resources to prepare for the interview?
Thanks in advance

Amanda

Seems to have been loads of signalling jobs gone onto the website in the past 24hrs or so... "Multiple vacancies" at Birmingham, in the North West & London. Quite a few grade 2 but I am pretty sure the Birmingham ones are grade 6. All out of my area, sadly!

There is also a vacancy, 2 in fact, for Sudbury SB, Derby... Can anyone confirm if this is the Sudbury on the Derby to Crewe line? I live in Nottingham and was hoping it might be my side of Derby but if it's out near Uttoxeter then it's a bit too far for me.

J-P

I'm down for the 2nd December course @J-P!

It's all suddenly so real now after months of waiting for updates.
Handed in my notice at my current employers yesterday so it's full steam ahead.
I just saw on another thread that you're already starting prior to going to York? What have they got you doing?

Spidercat

Hi, have been going over this thread for a while now and have a few applications in with NR to be a signaller. Is anyone else having trouble logging into the NR job site? I keep getting "An error has occurred please contact system administrator" - Ive tried deleting all cookies etc and using a different browser, even using my phone as well as PC but no luck?!?

Can anyone recommend any books to help with the application/assessment process? Ive seen the How 2 book but understand this may be a bit out of date?

High Dyke

Established Member
Seems to have been loads of signalling jobs gone onto the website in the past 24hrs or so... "Multiple vacancies" at Birmingham, in the North West & London. Quite a few grade 2 but I am pretty sure the Birmingham ones are grade 6. All out of my area, sadly!

There is also a vacancy, 2 in fact, for Sudbury SB, Derby... Can anyone confirm if this is the Sudbury on the Derby to Crewe line? I live in Nottingham and was hoping it might be my side of Derby but if it's out near Uttoxeter then it's a bit too far for me.
It will be Sudbury on the North Staffs route between Derby & Crewe.

Rockhopper

Hi, have been going over this thread for a while now and have a few applications in with NR to be a signaller. Is anyone else having trouble logging into the NR job site? I keep getting "An error has occurred please contact system administrator" - Ive tried deleting all cookies etc and using a different browser, even using my phone as well as PC but no luck?!?

Can anyone recommend any books to help with the application/assessment process? Ive seen the How 2 book but understand this may be a bit out of date?

Just read this whole thread, all the info you could ever need is in here.

Jbhooper

So had my interview for Lancing SB today. Felt like I got flustered on some questions, despite all the preparation.
Wondered if those of you in the industry or starting signalling school left your interview confident? Cos I'm bricking it!

J-P

So had my interview for Lancing SB today. Felt like I got flustered on some questions, despite all the preparation.
Wondered if those of you in the industry or starting signalling school left your interview confident? Cos I'm bricking it!

TL:DR
I think we're all much harsher on our own performances than they are, and as long as you show an aptitude for the role then that's what they look for.

Full Answer:
I had my interview about 6/7 weeks ago and I felt much the same.
I was really happy with my competency examples, just because of the previous jobs I've done being relatively high pressure, a mixture of both sole and team based and very dynamic in terms of things going south on a hurry and having to react, so I was really happy with those.
The NR and location based questions were much harder because, as much as I had researched beforehand, I didn't know what sort of questions to expect. So I very much felt like I fumbled my way through those questions.

When I got the phone call about four days later the first question I was asked was "how do you feel the interview went" and I explained that I was disappointed with my performance because of those questions that I didn't feel I had prepared as well as I should have. The response we was that my answer surprised her because it came across quite obviously that I had done plenty of research...

So moral of the story is I think we're all much harsher on our own performances than they are, and as long as you show an aptitude for the role then that's what they look for.

If it helps I was offered the job and start next month so there's always hope despite feeling like you screwed up.

Chumba

I left 2 interviews feeling really confident and didn’t get the job, the last one I left i felt ok, and was offered the job! I think I learnt from each rejection how to answer the questions better next time so eventually Igot the job.

Rover77

Hi. Can anyone tell me how signallers move up grades please? Is it on the job with experience or do you have to complete courses up to next level?

Rockhopper

The grade relates to the job your doing - the way to move up is to apply for jobs at a higher grade. Signalling school should give you the tools to get a job at any grade.

Saracen_83

Hi. Can anyone tell me how signallers move up grades please? Is it on the job with experience or do you have to complete courses up to next level?

once your in, you have access to the internal jobs section. These jobs, majority are not advertised externally. See one you like and you apply!!

same process, minus the tests.... interview can be rules based but the ones I’ve done are just NTS based.

Rover77

once your in, you have access to the internal jobs section. These jobs, majority are not advertised externally. See one you like and you apply!!

same process, minus the tests.... interview can be rules based but the ones I’ve done are just NTS based.

Brilliant answer. Many thanks