• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Rover77

I've just applied and completed the 69 online questions. Apparently the online assessment will be sent in 5 days.
I am a little concerned about the background checks purely down to my financial situation. Due to a messy divorce I now have a ccj. Will this be checked out?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChrisRS

I've just applied and completed the 69 online questions. Apparently the online assessment will be sent in 5 days.
I am a little concerned about the background checks purely down to my financial situation. Due to a messy divorce I now have a ccj. Will this be checked out?

There's no credit checks so no it will not be checked.

Chumba

The background checks are just basic DBS check which will only show unspent convictions, nothing else. No credit checks done.

Rover77

The background checks are just basic DBS check which will only show unspent convictions, nothing else. No credit checks done.
Thanks. Will be fine then. Hopefully will get to do the online assessment then says interviews in Dec and Jan. Fingers crossed.

Rover77

I've been trying to do a bit of research on roster premiums for signallers. Can anyone shed any light on this please?

BTW this forum is a god send.

Chumba

Pay scales attached

Attachments

• ABBECEF8-D311-4DB3-89AE-6A9FC9D41605.jpeg
    ABBECEF8-D311-4DB3-89AE-6A9FC9D41605.jpeg
    507.2 KB · Views: 216

Spidercat

Got invited to complete the online tests on Thursday afternoon so will be completing this evening when home from work after a few days of practising. Does anyone know what the actual pass rate is for these? I scored well in my verbal test ones but my numerical where up and down and I struggled with completing it in the time frame. Thanks in advance.

Rockhopper

You have to do incredibly badly to be rejected at that stage, but, your scores will count towards the overall assessment of your application to see if you get to interview stage.

Dan 2513

Got invited to complete the online tests on Thursday afternoon so will be completing this evening when home from work after a few days of practising. Does anyone know what the actual pass rate is for these? I scored well in my verbal test ones but my numerical where up and down and I struggled with completing it in the time frame. Thanks in advance.

the pass rate I am told is low.

don’t worry about answering all the questions. I didn’t answer them all but I took my time to get them right and I got an interview so don’t let that worry you too much.
Good luck!

Danny Boy

Just been invited for interview for the Woking signaler role.
Other than the 8 non technical skills and safety vision is there anything else I need to get on top off?
I've spent the last 30 yrs in the police so I'm confident I have a lot of good examples for situational questions just need to make sure I structure my answers!

Defenestrate

Other than the 8 non technical skills and safety vision is there anything else I need to get on top off?
I've spent the last 30 yrs in the police so I'm confident I have a lot of good examples for situational questions just need to make sure I structure my answers!

There will be general intro questions - e.g why do want to be a signaller/leave your current role/join NR...which sound easy until you have to turn it into an interview answer!

Sometimes you might get a few area specific questions - e.g. name some stations in this area; or something relating to the "stuff" NR is responsible for e.g. give examples of some pieces of infrastructure (stations, crossings, tunnels etc).

I had great examples for the 8 NTS, but it took several interviews for the answers to be wholly relevant and "complete". The safety vision is obviously available, but linking in the 10 lifesaving rules and perhaps some of the safety campaigns can really highlight that you know what it is. In my opinion.

MylesHSG

They'll probably ask about how you will handle working shifts/weekends (obviously from working with the Police that should answer itself). I was also asked how I would keep myself alert on nightshifts (caffeine, having a meal, fresh air) though that might have been specific to my location (quiet, single manned box). They'll probably also how you might deal with a colleague that you don't particularly get along with, though again you've probably got examples of that working in the police.

37dave

Hi, I've applied for the Derby signaller post, just done my online assessments. Does anyone know what the shift patterns are there please? Thanks.

Ps this forum is brilliant

MOM67

And you'd be very correct in your thinking ! IMHO the interview questions are perfect for ex-Emergency Services, ex- forces personnel as you will have excellent examples for each of them.
If you go over the NTS and the Safety Vision (thoroughly), you have an really good chance of being successful ; unless ,of course, someone who is also ex Emergency Services etc applies.

Best of Luck.

Rover77

Just logged on to check my application status. Went from application received to application under consideration. It now says invited to test.

Spidercat

the pass rate I am told is low.

don’t worry about answering all the questions. I didn’t answer them all but I took my time to get them right and I got an interview so don’t let that worry you too much.
Good luck!

Thanks - two applications in and all three tests completed, now to wait!

Wokinguser

Hi All,

i've been lucky enough to be invited to interview for the Dorking SB - Grade 4.

Am I right I’m thinking Dorking only covers the area from Boxhill & Westhumble down to the Betchworth Tunnell towards Horsham? Anything anyone can add would be super appreciated??

thanks very much for any help.

Sunset route

Hi All,

i've been lucky enough to be invited to interview for the Dorking SB - Grade 4.

Am I right I’m thinking Dorking only covers the area from Boxhill & Westhumble down to the Betchworth Tunnell towards Horsham? Anything anyone can add would be super appreciated??

thanks very much for any help.

That would be correct, fringes with Wimbledon panel 4 towards London and Three Bridges ASC panel 7a (not ROC) towards Horsham.

SJCembre

What percentage can all the nights, weekends etc equate to of the annual salary? 10% 20%?

I feel there is so much room for interpretation, grade 7 on 12 hour shifts? Come the end of the year all that unsociable hours must add up on top of the annual salary?

Rover77

Hi. I now have the email with 3 links to the 3 tests. I cant find any practice tests for the instrument one.
Can you practice for this one? What does it involve?

Gallius

Hi. I now have the email with 3 links to the 3 tests. I cant find any practice tests for the instrument one.
Can you practice for this one? What does it involve?
It's the situational judgement test which isn't one you can practice. You need to pick the most effective and least effective response to various scenarios.

Rover77

It's the situational judgement test which isn't one you can practice. You need to pick the most effective and least effective response to various scenarios.
Thanks. Do I have to do the test one after the other or can I do them on different days?