• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Welshy89

Has anybody recently sat the signaller section tests a situational judgment test, a verbal reasoning test and a numerical reasoning test.

Maths is my big downfall unfortunately and never been a strong subject of mine. Just wondering what the tests consist of and any help and advice in preparing for the tests.

Should I be successful and invited to complete them

Thanks for your help in advance

Defenestrate

Has anybody recently sat the signaller section tests a situational judgment test, a verbal reasoning test and a numerical reasoning test.

Maths is my big downfall unfortunately and never been a strong subject of mine. Just wondering what the tests consist of and any help and advice in preparing for the tests.

Should I be successful and invited to complete them

Thanks for your help in advance

You should be invited to do the online tests, i don't know of anyone that hasn't after applying - check out something like www.numericalreasoningtest.org for examples of similar tests (not exactly the same as the NR one, just the first google result).
You can practice for 5 days after being invited to the test, and as much as you can before the invite. More practice = more likely of doing well and passing.

Over to you...

Welshy89

whats People’s thoughts on the SHL practice tests are they very similar to the actual tests you complete

Last edited:

Amanda

Unless you are a total plumb it’s always worth having another go. Got to in it to win it and all that. And your application will be judged against the others so if they are poor this time and you are good then jobs a fish.

Well I've noticed that the new ad is still live, but a new-new job ad has appeared for a signaller in Sheffield, when you read the fine print it seems to be the same job at Woodhouse again, advertised as FTC till end of December 2020!

Soddit

Well I've noticed that the new ad is still live, but a new-new job ad has appeared for a signaller in Sheffield, when you read the fine print it seems to be the same job at Woodhouse again, advertised as FTC till end of December 2020!

I saw this one too Amanda, I’m going to apply tonight! Good luck

Defenestrate

Can someone in the know advise - do relief signallers get booked Sunday turns? If not then are they the "go to" for first choice if they are available?
Obviously the Sunday rate can be a nice little extra, so just wondering on how it works...thanks in advance.

headshot119

Established Member
Can someone in the know advise - do relief signallers get booked Sunday turns? If not then are they the "go to" for first choice if they are available?
Obviously the Sunday rate can be a nice little extra, so just wondering on how it works...thanks in advance.

No rostered Sunday turns for reliefs. But you are the first choice if a resident isn't available to cover there booked turn.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

No booked Sunday turns no, but we do get 1st dibs on Sundays they are open.

Defenestrate

Thanks to you both.
Depending on how much the Sunday working/extra cash matters to you both, would you say a relief is generally better off? May be difficult to assess due to the extra % you'd receive.
And how do you find the relative short notice of shift/location - worth it?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Notice you get your base roster which shows rest days and working days.

You won’t know what your working turn wise until the dinner time of the Thursday prior.

I know a Grade 3 relief who’s earning more basic than a Grade 7 as he gets 32% premium for being a multi location relief, where as I only get 4% as in one location relief.

Be aware though as a relief you could find yourself on five weeks of night turns (like me at the moment) works out lovely for me as I prefer them, but it could be a living nightmare if you don’t like nights.

if you like your RDW being a relief is a licence to print money, if not then it’s the best part time job in the world.

Hemmy1!

whats People’s thoughts on the SHL practice tests are they very similar to the actual tests you complete
I’m applying for a couple of roles at the minute and have been sent the email with the 3 tests to complete

The link they’ve sent in the email for the practice tests isn’t working though

Can you post the link for the SHL practice tests by any chance? Im obviously keen to have a look at them before tackling the real ones

Thanks

Hemmy1!

Same for any other practice tests if you know of any websites you can link gents!

Thanks in advance

And thanks to everybody involved in this thread it’s most informative

Defenestrate

RE links not working - use another browser...mine didn't work at first but then i pasted the link into Edge or Firefox (I think) and all sorted.

Welshy89

I have applied and had an email back today saying that my application has been accepted and it is under consideration and they will be in touch is this normal. How long do they normally take to advise you to do the tests if you have passed pre screening do they wait until the closing date for all applicants

regarding tests I’m not sure about where we can look to practice I think SHL you can pay I thinkn

Defenestrate

Notice you get your base roster which shows rest days and working days.

You won’t know what your working turn wise until the dinner time of the Thursday prior.

I know a Grade 3 relief who’s earning more basic than a Grade 7 as he gets 32% premium for being a multi location relief, where as I only get 4% as in one location relief.

Be aware though as a relief you could find yourself on five weeks of night turns (like me at the moment) works out lovely for me as I prefer them, but it could be a living nightmare if you don’t like nights.

if you like your RDW being a relief is a licence to print money, if not then it’s the best part time job in the world.

Thanks Tom, that's good to know - I've noticed some big relief roles advertised recently!

Gallius

I have applied and had an email back today saying that my application has been accepted and it is under consideration and they will be in touch is this normal. How long do they normally take to advise you to do the tests if you have passed pre screening do they wait until the closing date for all applicants

regarding tests I’m not sure about where we can look to practice I think SHL you can pay I thinkn
From my experience, you normally hear back within a day or two with links to do the tests

Rover77

If you do the online tests and dont reach the benchmark, do you need to wait 6 months until you can apply again.

BigJonSig

Hi,

Could anyone share any details about South Tottenham Signal Box please? I'm pretty sure it's a G5 but 8 or 12hr turns, how busy, is it just overground and freight etc?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.