• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nom de guerre

As did I but just saw a role going there on the jobs page today and they have it down as a 5

Interesting - thanks.

Assuming the listing is correct, there can't be many single-manned boxes that receive a two-grade uplift. Did S Tott take on the area formerly controlled by Harringay Park Jn when that went ...?

Cavan

I think South Tottenham has been a G5 in recent history (since it changed to NX?)? Seem it remember it was when it was advertised a few years ago but could be wrong. Upper Holloway is a G3. South Tottenham is a busy area, 4 LO each way per hour and plenty of freight leaving/joining the line in the area, all night freight too.

Can't say for sure but most NLL type boxes are 12hr and some of them get a meal relief who travels the line during the day?

Hemmy1!

If I pass the online tests (will do them Saturday morning) is the next stage the interview?
And if the interview goes well pre-employment checks?

What do the pre employment checks consist of gents?

ChrisRS

If I pass the online tests (will do them Saturday morning) is the next stage the interview?
And if the interview goes well pre-employment checks?

What do the pre employment checks consist of gents?

Pass online tests, then get sifted and if chosen you get an interview. Pre employment check is basic dbs and employment history verification.

Rockhopper

Yep, passing the tests etc is no guarantee of an interview - despite how they word the advert on some sites! There might be over 100 people through at that stage and they’ll pick around five to interview.

Hemmy1!

I’ve been over my CV I sent in to network rail today as I’ve checked my work history and I’ve forgotten to put in a company I worked for roughly 4 years ago for around 6 months (I knocked the CV together in about half an hr off the top of my head to apply, never needed a CV in current line of work) and some of my employment dates for other companies are off by a month or two here and there

If I was to get to the stage where they checked employment history will this be reason for them to not offer me a job?

The mistakes weren’t to hide anything but merely as it was a quick knock up of my CV to apply as the closing date was that day

Cheers

Rockhopper

I “think” they go back three years for employment checks.
It’s really not worth just knocking a cv together if it’s a job you really want. It’s unlikely to be considered at this stage but if you pass the three tests and are then considered for interview the hiring manager will study your cv, seventy questions and test results and then decide who he wants to interview.
You’ll be battling it out with maybe a hundred or more other applicants so it’s all got to be perfect!

Chumba

I’ve been over my CV I sent in to network rail today as I’ve checked my work history and I’ve forgotten to put in a company I worked for roughly 4 years ago for around 6 months (I knocked the CV together in about half an hr off the top of my head to apply, never needed a CV in current line of work) and some of my employment dates for other companies are off by a month or two here and there

If I was to get to the stage where they checked employment history will this be reason for them to not offer me a job?

The mistakes weren’t to hide anything but merely as it was a quick knock up of my CV to apply as the closing date was that day

Cheers

redo the CV and delete the one you uploaded and replace it with the new one. No one will see it until,they process applications after the closing date.

Hemmy1!

I “think” they go back three years for employment checks.
It’s really not worth just knocking a cv together if it’s a job you really want. It’s unlikely to be considered at this stage but if you pass the three tests and are then considered for interview the hiring manager will study your cv, seventy questions and test results and then decide who he wants to interview.
You’ll be battling it out with maybe a hundred or more other applicants so it’s all got to be perfect!
Yeah I understand that now

Tbh I did some jobs when I was a bit younger that look great on a CV, high pressure, a lot responsibility, dangerous etc so I made those the focal points and just did the best I could with the mundane stuff I’ve been doing the last 4 years as I didn’t think it’d be of any interest

My mistake. I haven’t applied for a job officially in years

WoollyMammoth

redo the CV and delete the one you uploaded and replace it with the new one. No one will see it until,they process applications after the closing date.

This advice still stands @Hemmy1! - just click through into this specific application in the portal and it should have the application documents down the bottom. You can change it from there.

Good luck in the next stage!

Soddit

Unsuccessful on my applications, must be my test scores. Very gutted, do test score requirements change due to grade?

Rockhopper

Your results will be compared to the other people’s who applied.

Chances are that on this occasion their results were better than yours.

Hemmy1!

5th day tomorrow since I’ve been sent the links so I’ve gotta do the tests tomorrow morning and I haven’t had chance to do a single practice test yet and doubt I will

Worked 65 hrs already this week and will be at work until 0200-0300 tonight ffs (finish around 75hrs overall, common occurrence)

What’s my chances of passing tomorrow if I just open the link and hit it?

Not ideal I know but work has been manic this week

Danny Boy

5th day tomorrow since I’ve been sent the links so I’ve gotta do the tests tomorrow morning and I haven’t had chance to do a single practice test yet and doubt I will

Worked 65 hrs already this week and will be at work until 0200-0300 tonight ffs (finish around 75hrs overall, common occurrence)

What’s my chances of passing tomorrow if I just open the link and hit it?

Not ideal I know but work has been manic this week

That's s long week!

SJT shouldn't be too difficult as long as you take time to read the questions thoroughly.
Unless you are very good at maths and deal with the type of questions they use you could struggle. At the very least I would take a look at the type of questouns you will be asked as they are not your normal mats questions. I'm pretty good at maths and I needed to run through the practice tests several times to get my head them, once I did I found them ok.
Verbal reasoning wasnt too bad for me but I've spent 30 years looking at evidential statements.
Just bear in mind that your test results will stay on file for a period of time and will also effect any future applications.

Last edited:

Rockhopper

And also remember that they don’t tell you your actual scores, just if you reached the required standard or not (which is rather low).

Batterson

Cheers

You can log in an update the cv at any time

Chris4973

Can someone direct me to where u can do practice tests? I have been accepted to do the 3 online aptitude)math/English tests, however the practice link does not work. I have scoured the internet however they want £40. Surely there is a free option somewhere? TIA Chris