• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

ChrisRS

Can someone direct me to where u can do practice tests? I have been accepted to do the 3 online aptitude)math/English tests, however the practice link does not work. I have scoured the internet however they want £40. Surely there is a free option somewhere? TIA Chris

I posted the link one page back.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chumba

Can someone direct me to where u can do practice tests? I have been accepted to do the 3 online aptitude)math/English tests, however the practice link does not work. I have scoured the internet however they want £40. Surely there is a free option somewhere? TIA Chris

try another browser, mine wouldn’t work when I did them I changed to chrome and that worked fine.

na281093

I see most roles on the Network Rail website are a fixed term contract until December 2020. Is this a common thing and you then go full time after? My ultimate goal is to be a Train Driver but I would be happy to go into signalling to get myself into the railway industry and gain some experience first if need be.

Peterperfect

I see most roles on the Network Rail website are a fixed term contract until December 2020. Is this a common thing and you then go full time after? My ultimate goal is to be a Train Driver but I would be happy to go into signalling to get myself into the railway industry and gain some experience first if need be.

My hunch is the RMT agreed to end the no redundancy clause for signallers around the end of 2020. So if they are doing away with posts it would make sense to use temp positions up until then and end those contracts to allow the longer serving signallers redeployment into vacancies.

This may mean that the job of signaller is less appealing until they offer full contracts without a time limit.

Hemmy1!

Done my tests

The maths and verbal reasoning were fine. I think I’ve done ok on them

Not sure on the other one though, seems a strange test to me tbh and often times one or two answers seemed reasonable options so hopefully I’ve selected the one they were wanting for most likely

I’m not confident with that one though

WoollyMammoth

Yes, but " Signaller Grade 3 Salary: £28,592 per annum (Salary in training £25,910) " still suggests there is an error somewhere

yeah that one is confusing as further down it also says for the same role:

Salary:
£ 26,091 (£23,645 in training)

Very odd! Perhaps a copy and paste of an old job?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

Top tip if you want to be a driver, apply to be a driver - wasting time as a signaller will hold zero weight in your ultimate goal.

Signalling isn’t a you can “slum” until something better comes along.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
My hunch is the RMT agreed to end the no redundancy clause for signallers around the end of 2020. So if they are doing away with posts it would make sense to use temp positions up until then and end those contracts to allow the longer serving signallers redeployment into vacancies.

This may mean that the job of signaller is less appealing until they offer full contracts without a time limit.

Wasn’t the no redundancy agreement tied into the next pay deal starting 2021, it’s currently year one of the two year deal as far as I recall...

nom de guerre

Top tip if you want to be a driver, apply to be a driver - wasting time as a signaller will hold zero weight in your ultimate goal.

Signalling isn’t a you can “slum” until something better comes along.

Says who?

Agreed, signalling is arguably a sideways move if your ultimate aim is driving - but equally, I know a couple of former signallers who are now drivers. It's not unknown.

nom de guerre

yeah that one is confusing as further down it also says for the same role:

Salary:
£ 26,091 (£23,645 in training)

Very odd! Perhaps a copy and paste of an old job?

Most probably.

IIRC, Wateringbury is a G2. AB in one direction, TCB in the other. Plain line, except for East Peckham ground frame. Lots of crossings.

Saracen_83

Says who?

Agreed, signalling is arguably a sideways move if your ultimate aim is driving - but equally, I know a couple of former signallers who are now drivers. It's not unknown.

works both ways, I know a couple of former drivers that are now signallers....!!!!

nom de guerre

works both ways, I know a couple of former drivers that are now signallers....!!!!

Likewise. My point is, people can "slum it" wherever they wish. What might appear an illogical career path to one person may make perfect sense to another.

As long as a colleague is reliable and competent, I'm personally not too fussed about whether they view the job as a stepping stone.

Saracen_83

Likewise. My point is, people can "slum it" wherever they wish. What might appear an illogical career path to one person may make perfect sense to another.

As long as a colleague is reliable and competent, I'm personally not too fussed about whether they view the job as a stepping stone.

true as long as they are safe, willing to help out when needed and do the job well, then it is up to the individual to choose their path.....
a few sigs at my place use signalling to get into control....

just be aware, signalling and driving, IMO, require some different traits and skills, as well as sharing some, so the person needs to be aware of this!

9tfrizzco

I've applied for a london vacancy and they've sent me a link for a new online assessment even though I completed them a few weeks ago and my results should remain on file for 6 months. i have numerous applications running and this is a one-off. Have they made a mistake or is this a different test? It's named 'Complete Verbal Ability Test' and it's been sent on its own without the maths or SJ.

Gallius

I've applied for a london vacancy and they've sent me a link for a new online assessment even though I completed them a few weeks ago and my results should remain on file for 6 months. i have numerous applications running and this is a one-off. Have they made a mistake or is this a different test? It's named 'Complete Verbal Ability Test' and it's been sent on its own without the maths or SJ.
The only thing I can think of is if you've applied for the Hand Signaller job in West Ealing then it may be a different application process. I've also got a few applications in and not had the tests sent to me more than once.

Hemmy1!

Can anybody go over what are the essential things to know about if your selected to go for an interview gents?

I’m sure it’s in the thread somewhere but I can’t find much using the search function

Cheers

9tfrizzco

The only thing I can think of is if you've applied for the Hand Signaller job in West Ealing then it may be a different application process. I've also got a few applications in and not had the tests sent to me more than once.
Nah, it's not that vacancy. It's OC Sig Upminster that have sent me this test. I'll complete it, anyway.

9tfrizzco

Can anybody go over what are the essential things to know about if your selected to go for an interview gents?

I’m sure it’s in the thread somewhere but I can’t find much using the search function

Cheers
The interview is centred around the non-technical skills. have good precise responses ready

Hemmy1!

The interview is centred around the non-technical skills. have good precise responses ready
Thanks

Conscientiousness, relationships with people, willingness to learn etc etc

Yeah I’ll have answers ready to go based off those

Do I also need to do a lot of research on network rail? Other roles other than signaller that I’d one day like to possible apply for? (to show I’m career minded and driven)

Would it be wise to do a lot of research on the ins and outs of the job or go in to the interview and be a clean slate with no preconceived notions of procedures etc?

(Obviously I already know the various things a signaller is expected to deal with day to day)

Hemmy1!

Apologies for all the questions gents

I’m not asking to be spoon fed all the info just a little guidance on where to focus my preparation somewhat

Should I be lucky enough to get an interview of course

9tfrizzco

Thanks

Do I also need to do a lot of research on network rail? Other roles other than signaller that I’d one day like to possible apply for? (to show I’m career minded and driven)

Would it be wise to do a lot of research on the ins and outs of the job or go in to the interview and be a clean slate with no preconceived notions of procedures etc?

(Obviously I already know the various things a signaller is expected to deal with day to day)
a little bit, i felt like in interview i had learnt too much and came across as irritating. non-technical skills are far more important

Defenestrate

Thanks

Perhaps understand a few basics - some stations on the route you'll be working - i've been asked to name 5 in an interview; and some of the infrastructure that you'll deal with - again, was asked about this. 5 mins should be enough research, no need for detailed knowledge.

Have good examples for each of the 8 non technical skills, and become familiar with the Safety Vision including lifesaving rules and you're good.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Says who?

So do I, what I mean is a lot of us have worked extremely hard to get our jobs and love them. It’s annoying when you have people (generally) who see the salary and then pound signs, or see it as a stepping stone something they’ve got to tolerate before moving on.

When I was a guard instructor, the number of trainees who openly said they only took the job to apply for trainee drivers jobs was stupidly high, fair enough it’s their choice but it drains experience from the grade.

if you want to be a driver, apply to be a driver, if you want to be a MOM then be a signaller first you’ll gain valuable experience and vice versa.

Peterperfect

Wasn’t the no redundancy agreement tied into the next pay deal starting 2021, it’s currently year one of the two year deal as far as I recall...
29 Apr 2019 · The company has now written to us with a new proposal. As you will see this new offer addresses two main areas of concern from the previous offer; namely the compulsory redundancy agreement and South East Allowance. The No Compulsory Redundancy Agreement would now cover both years of the offer until 31stDecember 2020.