• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

89jordanbj

Hi guys,
New to the forum, but so far of what I have read it seems like a cove of invaluable information
I am currently in the process of applying for G6 signaller based at the South Wales Control Centre in Cardiff and have just completed the online tests.
Is there anybody here that could shed some light on the shift roster in that location? 8 or 12hrs etc.
This is my 3rd attempt at getting a job with NR so everything is crossed.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peterperfect

See below from earlier in thread.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181128-215443_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20181128-215443_Samsung Internet.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 91

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Hi guys,
New to the forum, but so far of what I have read it seems like a cove of invaluable information
I am currently in the process of applying for G6 signaller based at the South Wales Control Centre in Cardiff and have just completed the online tests.
Is there anybody here that could shed some light on the shift roster in that location? 8 or 12hrs etc.
This is my 3rd attempt at getting a job with NR so everything is crossed.

Thanks

If you drop me a message I’ll be happy to give you the heads up.

89jordanbj

Apologies if this has already been answered previously, the job advert for G6 signaller Cardiff states 39750 (fixed rate).. Does this salary include shift enhancements or would that be added on top?

Also, what grade of salary would I be on during my 12 months of training if I was lucky enough to be offered the job?

Not that it matters, as I am on a relatively low salary in my current job and the career change is my main focus, but it's good to get an idea of how my finances will work out for the 12 months.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
The salary quoted is the bare bones basic of basic salary for grade 6 with no enhancements for nights, Saturday into Sunday or Sunday etc.

Very roughly a clean (minus any RDW or additional Sunday work, other than booked) for a full year of productive work after your training would be in the region of £45,000-£50,000 in grade 6 salary.

From day one to the day of passing out after school, and learning the work stations would be grade 5 salary.

89jordanbj

The salary quoted is the bare bones basic of basic salary for grade 6 with no enhancements for nights, Saturday into Sunday or Sunday etc.

Very roughly a clean (minus any RDW or additional Sunday work, other than booked) for a full year of productive work after your training would be in the region of £45,000-£50,000 in grade 6 salary.

From day one to the day of passing out after school, and learning the work stations would be grade 5 salary.

Thanks for the info Tom. Had an email today advising I have passed the 3 online tests so now I guess it's a waiting game to hear if I make it through to interview stage.

Rammie

I’d also point out there are normally 13 pay days per year not 12 if you are trying to work out your monthly pay from your annual salary.

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, been wading my through all the pages when i get chance. Thanks to everyone who contributes, its literally a treasure trove of information abd makes me want to get into this role even more.
I was was wondering if anyone had applied for the Sudbury role that was advertised a couple of months ago, there was 2 positions available. I've managed to reach the bench mark for the online tests mid November and my application is currently with the hiring manger for consideration. Any ideas how long they take to get to the next stage? Nit that I'm impatient...much cheers

chmt

Thanks for the info Tom. Had an email today advising I have passed the 3 online tests so now I guess it's a waiting game to hear if I make it through to interview stage.
Nice mate. How quickly did you have your results back? I did my test on weekend and still awaiting results.

Gallius

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, been wading my through all the pages when i get chance. Thanks to everyone who contributes, its literally a treasure trove of information abd makes me want to get into this role even more.
I was was wondering if anyone had applied for the Sudbury role that was advertised a couple of months ago, there was 2 positions available. I've managed to reach the bench mark for the online tests mid November and my application is currently with the hiring manger for consideration. Any ideas how long they take to get to the next stage? Nit that I'm impatient...much cheers
Ive not applied for the Sudbury role but I've got a few applications in at the moment. From what I've read on here it can vary greatly from days to weeks to months. One of mine went to interview after a couple days of being under consideration whereas some others have been under consideration for a couple weeks. My interview has since been postponed with no new date given yet so feeling a bit in limbo at the moment. It's a waiting game, its definitely a test of patience.

89jordanbj

Nice mate. How quickly did you have your results back? I did my test on weekend and still awaiting results.
I did my tests yesterday evening and got an email with letter attached saying they are awaiting my results, I then received an email today with letter advising me that I reached the required benchmark on the online tests and my application is still under consideration and they will contact me with an update.

Ive not applied for the Sudbury role but I've got a few applications in at the moment. From what I've read on here it can vary greatly from days to weeks to months. One of mine went to interview after a couple days of being under consideration whereas some others have been under consideration for a couple weeks. My interview has since been postponed with no new date given yet so feeling a bit in limbo at the moment. It's a waiting game, its definitely a test of patience.

Cheers for that, I'd kinda guessed from some previous posts that it can be a lengthy process. I've applied for a couple more positions since that one, hoping one may lead to an interview. More patience needed!

Amanda

I've applied for this and am at the same stage as you.

Allaboard78

I did my tests yesterday evening and got an email with letter attached saying they are awaiting my results, I then received an email today with letter advising me that I reached the required benchmark on the online tests and my application is still under consideration and they will contact me with an update.

I'm dreading them. Were they as hard as the practice tests?

89jordanbj

I'm dreading them. Were they as hard as the practice tests?
I didn't do the SHL practice tests as they would not load for me for some reason, so I did some other practice tests which I found online.

I would say the practice tests I did were slightly harder, but obviously you have the added pressure when you are doing the real thing especially when the clock is ticking.

I would say I found the numerical test slightly easier than the verbal. The 'cannot say' option in the answers always threw me off.

Good luck with your tests I'm sure you will do fine