• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ian Smeeton

Is anyone going to York ROC Open Day tomorrow/

I only saw the advert on Saturday, and it seemed to take a little pushing from me before I was sent some info.

Hopefully it might lead to something.

Best of luck, all.

Ian

Jay_123

I only saw the advert on Saturday, and it seemed to take a little pushing from me before I was sent some info.

Best of luck, all.

Ian

is that the internal recruitment day thing? Where you meet with different departments of NWR?

Ian Smeeton

I don't think so.

i saw it advertised on the NR Careers search site, stuck in an application, and then chased it up with Recruitment.

Regards

Ian

Rockhopper

You should really be able to answer all of them on all three tests within the time.
Don’t leave any unanswered though even if you take a total stab in the dark, you’ve got a one in four chance of getting it right and they don’t deduct marks for wrong answers.

ryan vahey

Best of luck, all.

Ian
Yes I’m going up for the 18:00 one

Dan 2513

You should really be able to answer all
How many of the questions did you get through in the 25 minutes?

On The numerical reasoning test I only answered 17 before I ran out of time.
i passed the benchmark and was offered an interview shortly afterwards.

I attended that and got the job, so don’t get worked up about doing it all.

My personal opinion is you are better taking your time and getting them correct rather than just picking a random answer.

If you answered 15 and got them all correct that’s a 100% correct answers score. That looks good if you ask me.

I hope it works out for you.

Rockhopper

My point is that if you’ve got thirty seconds to go and have five unanswered questions don’t leave them blank.

Allaboard78

After you have done the tests is the next step an interview. I'm currently up to page 65 on here and I'm a bit confused. After the interview is there an assessment day? Sorry for the questions

Saracen_83

After the tests, the top scoring candidates (usually top 5 per vacancy) are invited to assessment 2.

this is normally just an interview, however some LOMs conduct an assessment day with various tests and an interview. This is rare but does happen

Hemmy1!

After the tests, the top scoring candidates (usually top 5 per vacancy) are invited to assessment 2.

this is normally just an interview, however some LOMs conduct an assessment day with various tests and an interview. This is rare but does happen
An assessment that’s a full day? And then 4 of you are definitely going home disappointed anyway

That would be very hard to take

Saracen_83

As I said, some just LOMs just do the interview and that’s it, but yes, 4 will go home unhappy... it’s just the way it goes!

Allaboard78

Thank you

Leafage

I had my medical today.
All went well, just waiting on the results of the drug test.
It'll take a while, but hopefully that's the last hurdle.
Basingstoke looks like an amazing facility. Hope I get to train there.

Danny Boy

I had my medical today.
All went well, just waiting on the results of the drug test.
It'll take a while, but hopefully that's the last hurdle.
Basingstoke looks like an amazing facility. Hope I get to train there.

Congratulations. Had my medical last Friday, just waiting for drug screening test to come back (I was told within 3 working days) & then a start date.

Chumba

Congratulations. Had my medical last Friday, just waiting for drug screening test to come back (I was told within 3 working days) & then a start date.

you won’t get any confirmation of passing the drugs test just an email in a few weeks saying all Pre employment checks complete and please contact us to discuss a start date.

You will get something pretty quick if you fail it saying bye bye don’t call us

bouff34

RPI was announced at 2.2% yesterday so should be what January's pay rise is based on....

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Not a bad raise all things considered.

I wonder how we’ll fair come the 2021 onwards deal...

TRain87

Everyone that wants to join the railway, and hears all the big numbers as wages and believes they are able to do the job...please consider the low points of the job, please consider what you may have to see or hear, and how it may affect you!

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Everyone that wants to join the railway, and hears all the big numbers as wages and believes they are able to do the job...please consider the low points of the job, please consider what you may have to see or hear, and how it may affect you!

Here, here the pay is for the 1% of the time it goes totally pear shaped, and it’s YOU who have to be point of contact and lead to a whole host of potentially life changing/threatening situations.

Signallers have unfortunately played a part in people’s deaths, there’s much more to the job then the pay slip every month.

Habitat

Here, here the pay is for the 1% of the time it goes totally pear shaped, and it’s YOU who have to be point of contact and lead to a whole host of potentially life changing/threatening situations.

Signallers have unfortunately played a part in people’s deaths, there’s much more to the job then the pay slip every month.

It is a VERY safety critical job with the potential to kill people.
Although, other careers carry a similar risk, lorry and bus drivers, ships captains, airline pilots, etc.
If the training, rule books and company policies are STRICTLY adhered to, you then put you, your colleagues and the public in the safest position possible.