• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Saracen_83

Hi! I’m due to start signalling school on 10 Feb. I’m sure I’ve read on here somewhere a summary of what each week covers but I can’t find it anywhere. Can anyone help?

Honestly I wouldn't worry... take each day as it comes. When you head to school, you will be given a schedule of what will be taught and when, but to be honest you can’t read ahead, as it will make no sense.

it is taught to you In a specific way and assumes you have no railway knowledge......

plus everything after week 6 will definitely make no sense as it all relates back to what you learnt in the first 6 weeks!!!!!!

good luck!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NewtoNR

Honestly I wouldn't worry... take each day as it comes. When you head to school, you will be given a schedule of what will be taught and when, but to be honest you can’t read ahead, as it will make no sense.

it is taught to you In a specific way and assumes you have no railway knowledge......

plus everything after week 6 will definitely make no sense as it all relates back to what you learnt in the first 6 weeks!!!!!!

good luck!

Thank you! Can’t wait to get started!

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
What do your new rosters look like?

Better spread of rest days I’m told (I’ve not a actually seen an example as it’s not my link).

Its a rebalance of the links to encompass meal breaks into a turn on the resident link vice relief link, as on the other link at my location.

Stodge

Just wanted to extend a huge thank you to everyone on the forum for the wealth of knowledge and experience and also the help offered. I have my first day tomorrow so really looking forward to getting started. I read this forum start to finish last January /February and pretty much anything you could wish to know about the job as an outsider is on here and anything not covered is usually answered promptly by someone in the know. My role is a 6 month fixed term contract but I'm hoping to find or be offered a permanent role once my foot is in the door. I've left a secure job on similar money that I've been doing for 11 years to take the plunge and change career, however everything I've read about the job has reassured me it's a risk worth taking. Wish me luck.

Soddit

Hi everyone, I have applied for various signaller roles and have fallen at the first hurdle every time. Are my test results simply stopping me progressing? Shall I just give up now and wait until I can sit the tests again? Or maybe I have just been unlucky?

Feeling a bit deflated to be honest

Gallius

My interview is now an Interview/workshop day which is a full day. Has anyone been to one of these before and is there any preparation I can be doing beforehand other than the NTS and safety vision? I imagine the day will be made up of various different assessments but I'm not sure what the assessments will involve.

Rockhopper

Sadly there is no way of knowing what your test results are like, I don’t think NR will give feedback at that stage of the process.

Peterperfect

Hi! I’m due to start signalling school on 10 Feb. I’m sure I’ve read on here somewhere a summary of what each week covers but I can’t find it anywhere. Can anyone help?

Let's just say week 1 is the calm before the storm. Weeks 2 to 6 dont plan anything other than studying and practicing on the sim.

Pass week 6 the pressure is off for a few weeks then back into it for week 11 exam and week 12 final assessment.

Peterperfect

Hi everyone, I have applied for various signaller roles and have fallen at the first hurdle every time. Are my test results simply stopping me progressing? Shall I just give up now and wait until I can sit the tests again? Or maybe I have just been unlucky?

Feeling a bit deflated to be honest

If your not naturally good at these type of tests go online and find similar to practice. You can improve your score by working at it beforehand.

89jordanbj

Morning guys, was hoping there may be somebody on here who could clear up a few questions for me...

A signaller position has gone up online for Bromfield SB - Hereford, but after a quick Google Maps/Google search I can't find a place called Bromfield anywhere in Herefordshire... There is however a Bromfield SB but that is showing in Shropshire which is quite a bit further away. Does anybody know the postcode of the SB by any chance? Shropshire would be too far a commute so would prefer to know prior to applying.

Also, it states it is a Grade 2 position but further on down the job description it says that the salary is £26091 per annum (£23645 in training) but after looking at the pay matrix am I right in saying these figures don't match the grade 2 salary? So I am a bit confused to what the salary actually is.

Thanks

Llanigraham

Established Member
My old Box!
It's in Shropshire and can be found on the northern edge of Ludlow Racecourse.
Open continuously, with 12 hours shifts, 0600 - 1800 - 0600.

Llanigraham

Established Member
Add,
When I left it was Grade 2 and I've not heard it was upgraded.
It used to be under Shrewsbury management but might have changed to the Hereford LOM perhaps.
I suspect it will be too far for you as they seem to still work on a one hour max commute.

Peterperfect

Morning guys, was hoping there may be somebody on here who could clear up a few questions for me...

A signaller position has gone up online for Bromfield SB - Hereford, but after a quick Google Maps/Google search I can't find a place called Bromfield anywhere in Herefordshire... There is however a Bromfield SB but that is showing in Shropshire which is quite a bit further away. Does anybody know the postcode of the SB by any chance? Shropshire would be too far a commute so would prefer to know prior to applying.

Also, it states it is a Grade 2 position but further on down the job description it says that the salary is £26091 per annum (£23645 in training) but after looking at the pay matrix am I right in saying these figures don't match the grade 2 salary? So I am a bit confused to what the salary actually is.

Thanks

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nottsexminer/26392731005

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/marches-closed-due-signal-box-closure-28-04.163737/

Search is your friend.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

Thanks

I’d assume the advert hasn’t had the 2020 rates of pay printed.

Bromfield SB comes under the Hereford LOM position hence the Hereford “location”.

Ash25432

Hi everyone,

First time poster, wish I'd known about this forum earlier!
How long does it roughly take between your application getting to the hiring manager stage, I believe interview is next, and the 2nd assesment being confirmed (or unfortunately denied)?

Thanks

Mi&Li

Hi everyone,

First time poster, wish I'd known about this forum earlier!
How long does it roughly take between your application getting to the hiring manager stage, I believe interview is next, and the 2nd assesment being confirmed (or unfortunately denied)?

Thanks

Impossible to say really. It would depend on the workload of the hiring manager and how many applications have landed on his/her desk.

In my case he had 18 for which he chose 3 to interview. That was probably 2 weeks from being told it was with the hiring manager to getting an interview date but it could honestly be months

If you’re impatient like myself do what you can to take your mind off of it and it will come when it does.

Hemmy1!

Yeah it seems to be a very slow process

I was told I’d passed the online tests a month ago and still no idea if I’ll get an interview for either position

I’m just trying to forget about it until I hear something but it’s quite difficult

Ash25432

Yeah it seems to be a very slow process

I was told I’d passed the online tests a month ago and still no idea if I’ll get an interview for either position

I’m just trying to forget about it until I hear something but it’s quite difficult

Sorry to hear that but exact same position for me by the sounds of it. Been with the hiring manager for a bit over a month now I believe.

Fingers crossed for you as well mate.

Ash25432

Impossible to say really. It would depend on the workload of the hiring manager and how many applications have landed on his/her desk.

In my case he had 18 for which he chose 3 to interview. That was probably 2 weeks from being told it was with the hiring manager to getting an interview date but it could honestly be months

If you’re impatient like myself do what you can to take your mind off of it and it will come when it does.

Good to know, appreciate the response. I'll just try and take my mind off of it for now then. Thanks again

LOM

The minimum turn round from a vacancy going to HR to be advertised to an offer being made is 56 working days.

Last edited:

Leafage

During my current employment process, it was stated that the recruitment process should take no longer than 3 months.
Not sure if that's from application to start date, or up to job offer, but it gives you a broad guideline.