• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Defenestrate

There are 4 question sets 2 scenario based and 2 generic. The generic questions are for external candidates but you can use either the generic or the scenario based questions for internals. The scenarios are all signalling based. We are not looking for rule book perfect answers in these but we are scoring non-technical skills indicators in your answer. There is one question for each of the non-technical skills. There also can be up to 2 technical (rules) which you will need to get right as per the rule book and 2 location specific questions at the end. The technical and location questions are not mandatory but you will usually be asked at least 1. There will always be a safety question too.

Thanks - lots of excellent details there, very helpful!

Defenestrate

I had an interview yesterday at WMSC, very nice people interviewing made you feel very at ease.
I think I did ok to be honest but you never know with interviews I guess!
When asked about contract type I was told it would be a 2 year fixed term with a view to become permanent. I believe you have to apply for a permanent job within these 2 years and hope you get one? My question is do many people get a permanent contract or not? Is it a risk to take this job if I am successful at interview as at the moment my current job is permanent. I love the sound of signalling for network rail and I really want the job but I also have a family to provide for and bills to pay etc. Any information on these contracts would be truly appreciated!

I had a similar interview at the same location last year, but withdrew the application after being offered a signaller role elsewhere - so i don't know if i passed the interview or not. But anyway - they said to me that the 2 year fixed term thing (in that location at least) is more of an insurance policy, almost an extended "probation" type period - if you are competent, right attitude, not a cock etc then it becomes permanent, no dramas. If there's problems for whatever reason, then it would allow them to potentially get rid or move sideways etc. Signallers and school places are in so much demand that they wouldn't bin you if you're half decent - never mind the expense of the whole recruitment/training.

LOM

Thanks - lots of excellent details there, very helpful!
I should have mentioned the hiring manager can mix and match questions from any of the sets so you could be asked generic and scenario based questions in the same interview. The technical and location specific questions are produced by the hiring manager. Everyone who is interviewed for the role is asked the same questions, obviously.

Leewarburton12

Good evening , I have just tried to access two links and because I didn’t have adobe 9 or above my system it will not let me do the test , I have down loaded the latest option into the laptop but still isn’t working ? Any ideas , has anybody had this issue before , I was thinking the link is s one time use . If so I will ring HR on Monday to fix the problem .

RobGJ

Good evening , I have just tried to access two links and because I didn’t have adobe 9 or above my system it will not let me do the test , I have down loaded the latest option into the laptop but still isn’t working ? Any ideas , has anybody had this issue before , I was thinking the link is s one time use . If so I will ring HR on Monday to fix the problem .

I couldn't get it to work on internet explorer or chrome even after downloading adobe as well, I then installed firefox and got it to work on it. Hope that helps.

Leafage

Firstly, clean your browser of cookies etc and ensure its up to date.
Don't try to open the test links from the email.
Open the email fully (don't just view it), swipe the troublesome link carefully ensuring all text is covered and paste into your browser.
All should be fine.

mrbridger

Apologies if this has been answered previously in the 236 pages

I’m considering a complete career change from a regular 9-5 to an obvious shift based at York roc. Applied and have past the initial online tests and waiting to see if I get an interview.

just wondering what to expect working here? E.g. what are the shift patterns, how many weekends on average would I work, what is annual leave like (e.g. I can get leave pretty much when I want and at relatively short notice whereas researching suggests a week in spring, 2 in summer and 1 in autumn.)

at my age (47) it’s going to be a huge change in working patterns after 26 years office based so really want to look at pros and cons before making any decision

thanks in advance

XingClaggers

Hi all,

Is there anyone on here who i could send my CV and answers to the 70 questions to who could give me some feedback?

I have applied for multiple jobs but have never really got anywhere.

Defenestrate

Hi all,

Is there anyone on here who i could send my CV and answers to the 70 questions to who could give me some feedback?

I have applied for multiple jobs but have never really got anywhere.

No offence, but i think it would be quite a labour intensive task to go through a CV/Covering Letter/70 questions and give feedback, and then potentially doing that for numerous other people would just take up too much time - it's generally why that kind of thing is a paid for service.

Maybe other people will disagree with me.

A few points to consider:
1, Perhaps you just scraped a pass on the online tests - so everything else might be irrelevant?
2, If you're confident you did reasonably well on the tests, then consider a CV with an opening/personal statement that grabs the attention - i.e. try to cover a lot of the key attributes/experiences you have to match the job description.
3, For the 70 Qs, think of them like they were interview questions, and answer as such - use the STAR technique (Google it if unsure), and then at the end of each answer, consider a "reflection" - how would you do things next time, did the event change how you worked, did it improve relationships etc etc.

Midlands_lad

Is it possible to swap your shifts as a signaller, the job I am doing at the minute allows us to do exchange of duty requests.
If you need a day off and can’t get annual leave a colleague would do the shift for you obviously if he was a rest day. You would then gain toil for the shift that has been covered, it is very useful when annual leave is so tight!

Gaar86

Hi all,

Spent a fair amount of time reading through this thread the last few days. Some invaluable info which I'm very appreciative of.

Just wondering if anyone's had this before - I've just filled out the application questionnaire on NR's website and when I clicked 'Finish Test' at the end all I've been presented with is a blank screen with a blue banner across the top containing the NR logo. I've no way of knowing whether its accepted it or not (I haven't had an email to tell me, but then I don't know whether they send you an 'application received' email anyways). I don't want to hit the refresh button either in case it submits it all a second time.

Mart1n888

Hi,

I applied for Dunblane mate, nothing at all. I'm not holding my breath as suspect quite a number of applications went in. Fingers crossed tho!

My last update was on 20th, Just confirming the message "test completed" for the third time.

Good luck! Will keep you updated if I hear anything

Hi mate, any update on your Dunblane application?

Nothing for me so far.

Cheers!

SignallerJohn

Is it possible to swap your shifts as a signaller, the job I am doing at the minute allows us to do exchange of duty requests.
If you need a day off and can’t get annual leave a colleague would do the shift for you obviously if he was a rest day. You would then gain toil for the shift that has been covered, it is very useful when annual leave is so tight!
You can shift swap if the roster allows it. I don’t think you’d find another signaller doing a rest day for you because rest days are paid at a higher allowance. There’s also 12 hours between safety critical shifts.

Short term leave can be agreed with a LOM under certain circumstances. I believe different locations have different notice for how much notice has to be given for leave requests.

MC0096

Hi,

I applied for Dunblane mate, nothing at all. I'm not holding my breath as suspect quite a number of applications went in. Fingers crossed tho!

My last update was on 20th, Just confirming the message "test completed" for the third time.

Good luck! Will keep you updated if I hear anything

Perfect mate, will keep you updated if anything changes on my application.

Best of luck!

LOM

You can shift swap if the roster allows it. I don’t think you’d find another signaller doing a rest day for you because rest days are paid at a higher allowance. There’s also 12 hours between safety critical shifts.

Short term leave can be agreed with a LOM under certain circumstances. I believe different locations have different notice for how much notice has to be given for leave requests.

Mutual exchanges of holiday blocks and agreements to work to let someone take leave are fine but I am really not keen on shift swaps. There has been trouble with those in the past in my area. Anything like that must go through the roster clerk I do not like private arrangements because they have a habit of falling down eventually.

Last edited:

Sunset route

Mutual exchanges of holiday blocks and agreements to work to let someone take leave are fine but I am really not keen on shift swaps. There has been trouble with those in the past in my area. Anything like that must go through the roster clerk I do not like private arrangements because they have a habit of falling down eventually.

Swapping actual shifts ie, “as in you have my rest day on Monday if I have yours in Wednesday” type of thing can’t be done, because as far as know it not possible to reflect that on the roster as everyone occupies their own line and that can’t be changed. That means that the swap wouldn’t be reflected on the roster when it’s rolled out and nor will you be on duty when your supposed to be. The roster when it’s rolled out is your time sheet and if your not at work when your rostered to be that would equal a false timesheet (staff locally have charged with this in the last couple of years). Now it might still be possible to if LOM and roster clerk agree it even though it wouldn’t be shown correctly on the roster but that would be up to them.

michael74

Good morning learned forum colleagues.... A crossing keeper post at Red Cow Exeter has come up with a salary of £26,485 per annum. Does anyone know if that is basic before shift/unsocial payments and would anyone know what it would be if those payments were added? Thanks in advance.

LOM

Swapping actual shifts ie, “as in you have my rest day on Monday if I have yours in Wednesday” type of thing can’t be done, because as far as know it not possible to reflect that on the roster as everyone occupies their own line and that can’t be changed. That means that the swap wouldn’t be reflected on the roster when it’s rolled out and nor will you be on duty when your supposed to be. The roster when it’s rolled out is your time sheet and if your not at work when your rostered to be that would equal a false timesheet (staff locally have charged with this in the last couple of years). Now it might still be possible to if LOM and roster clerk agree it even though it wouldn’t be shown correctly on the roster but that would be up to them.
Yes exactly. It came to light that two of my guys had started swapping shifts regularly without telling anyone and it had to be stamped on for the reasons you give.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I regularly swap my day for night turns with the official blessing of my LOM and rosters, the only condition is we keep upto date in our safety days and be available for our LOM days.

There’s a few of us who do it without issue, but we’re a tight group who realise our agreement is good so don’t mess about.

Sunset route

I regularly swap my day for night turns with the official blessing of my LOM and rosters, the only condition is we keep upto date in our safety days and be available for our LOM days.

There’s a few of us who do it without issue, but we’re a tight group who realise our agreement is good so don’t mess about.

Swapping turns of duty is quite common at our place as well and we even have a proper form for it that goes to the roster clerk. But swapping rest days because you’ve run out of leave is kind of taboo and goes outside any agreements that we may have.

michael74

Good morning learned forum colleagues.... A crossing keeper post at Red Cow Exeter has come up with a salary of £26,485 per annum. Does anyone know if that is basic before shift/unsocial payments and would anyone know what it would be if those payments were added? Thanks in advance.

Basic, and you can easily add another 10% on top of that.

Bare bones basic yes.

Thanks both, appreciated