• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

9tfrizzco

lt looks like I have a 2nd interview looming as the status has changed to 2nd assessment pending on the online portal, but who knows really

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ian Smeeton

I have an interview coming up soon for Arnside SB

However, apart from numerous exterior shots, and the fact that it is listed, I can't seem to find much more about it on the web.

Is it TCB or AB?

I am guessing that it is 2 shifts (8 hour ish)

Is there enything else that I should know?

Regards

Ian

Peterperfect

Mutual exchanges of holiday blocks and agreements to work to let someone take leave are fine but I am really not keen on shift swaps. There has been trouble with those in the past in my area. Anything like that must go through the roster clerk I do not like private arrangements because they have a habit of falling down eventually.

It's the one thing I think NR could do to help make shift work more family friendly. Other jobs allow exchanges of roster without issues.
In effect someone's roster is fixed for the year. So what's the issue if signaller A exchanges a turn with signaller B and their roster reflects that?

It would lead to a happier workforce and save on sickness should someone just book sick to get the time off that they needed but couldnt get.

Maximus37

Hi all, I'm booked onto a course in York, commencing February the 17th. I am based in Teesside. Does anyone know whether I'll be booked into a hotel for the duration or expected to travel each day, with it not being too much of a distance. Either is fine but with 3 young kids I was rather looking forward to a bit of peace-and-quiet to get some studying in.

Thanks in advance.

SJCembre

So...

Has anyone on here been in a role previously in one geographical area for example:

a signaller at Three bridges, but wants to move to York and set themselves up permanently, including moving home etc..

Who has experience/knowledge of colleagues doing this?

I have worked for network rail over 5 years now and just want to understand what’s in place as I have not yet come across a policy regarding this.

many thanks in advance

Peterperfect

Hi all, I'm booked onto a course in York, commencing February the 17th. I am based in Teesside. Does anyone know whether I'll be booked into a hotel for the duration or expected to travel each day, with it not being too much of a distance. Either is fine but with 3 young kids I was rather looking forward to a bit of peace-and-quiet to get some studying in.

Thanks in advance.
You'll be in a hotel and not expected to travel.

Peterperfect

So...

Has anyone on here been in a role previously in one geographical area for example:

a signaller at Three bridges, but wants to move to York and set themselves up permanently, including moving home etc..

Who has experience/knowledge of colleagues doing this?

I have worked for network rail over 5 years now and just want to understand what’s in place as I have not yet come across a policy regarding this.

many thanks in advance
You get a day off to move house. As for the rest that's the good thing about being a signaller. You can work anywhere.

Last edited:

SJCembre

You get a day off to move house. As for the rest that's the good thing about being a signaller. You can work anywhere.

Hi Peter and thank you for your response

so as it were, a LOM can’t knock a candidate back if they apply from “off patch”?

Peterperfect

so as it were, a LOM can’t knock a candidate back if they apply from “off patch”?

No they shouldn't but what they think is someone local might be a better bet. As your internal you'll see the LOMs number on the advert. Call him and discuss your intentions.

SignallerJohn

You would probably tell them in an interview you plan to move. There’s also the fact you might not be able to be released from your current role for a while that you will have to plan around. I’ve heard some people being in purgatory for over 6 months, while their LOM recruited their replacement, sent them signalling school and got them passed out etc etc

SJCembre

You would probably tell them in an interview you plan to move. There’s also the fact you might not be able to be released from your current role for a while that you will have to plan around. I’ve heard some people being in purgatory for over 6 months, while their LOM recruited their replacement, sent them signalling school and got them passed out etc etc

What it is, i have not yet been signalling school etc as I am working as a MOM but always wanted to be a signaller - passed the online tests etc just never got an interview,

I am looking to move to reduce commute times, better property prices and nicer work locations etc..

I would of course notify the hiring LOM of my intentions just wanted to hear from people in the roles if they have experienced anything otherwise

thank you

89jordanbj

Has anybody heard back from recruitment re their application for the G6 Cardiff job?

Application close date was 6 weeks ago and still sat at test completed with no further update. Signs not looking promising but trying to keep the faith!

Amanda

Regarding relocating... Why not upload a document to your profile on the recruitment hub, make it a covering letter that outlines your intention to relocate so anyone looking at your application has the option to read that too?

LOM

What it is, i have not yet been signalling school etc as I am working as a MOM but always wanted to be a signaller - passed the online tests etc just never got an interview,

I am looking to move to reduce commute times, better property prices and nicer work locations etc..

I would of course notify the hiring LOM of my intentions just wanted to hear from people in the roles if they have experienced anything otherwise

thank you

Transferring is not an issue, if you have the best interview then you will get the job. Sometimes it is good to get a bit of fresh blood into an area. I have known quite a few signallers who have moved Route sometimes from one extreme end of the country to the other. Phone the hiring LOM and have a chat when you put your application in. I like it when a candidate phones me it shows they are keen.

The only thing I would say is that despite being a national company working to a standard Rule Book many practices can be quite different between the Routes so be prepared for a learning curve while you find out how things are done in your new area.

Last edited:

SJCembre

Transferring is not an issue, if you have the best interview then you will get the job. Sometimes it is good to get a bit of fresh blood into an area. I have known quite a few signallers who have moved Route sometimes from one extreme end of the country to the other. Phone the hiring LOM and have a chat when you put your application in. I like it when a candidate phones me it shows they are keen.

The only thing I would say is that despite being a national company working to a standard Rule Book many practices can be quite different between the Routes so be prepared for a learning curve while you find out how things are done in your new area.

LOM, thank you for your response.

it’s something that I am really considering and as previously mentioned signalling is one part of the industry I have always wanted to be involved in.

headshot119

Established Member
I have an interview coming up soon for Arnside SB

However, apart from numerous exterior shots, and the fact that it is listed, I can't seem to find much more about it on the web.

Is it TCB or AB?

I am guessing that it is 2 shifts (8 hour ish)

Is there enything else that I should know?

Regards

Ian

Works AB both ways (Carnforth Station Junction on the Up, Grange or Ulverston on the Down depending if Grange is swithced in)

It's open 24 hours, and is on a 12 hour roster.

Ian Smeeton

Works AB both ways (Carnforth Station Junction on the Up, Grange or Ulverston on the Down depending if Grange is swithced in)

It's open 24 hours, and is on a 12 hour roster.

Thank you for the information.

I had only just managed to find the opening hours in my copy of 'Compendium of Signal Box Opening Times', but I was not sure if it was up to date.

Looking forward to the interview.

Regards

Ian

desrudy

On Moderation
Hello all ,
I have just received an email :

I am pleased to inform you your application for future Signaller opportunities based at York and the surrounding areas has been shortlisted.

You are invited to attend anassessment event in York where you will receive a welcome presentation andundertake a competency based interview. Please click on the link below to select a date and time you would like to attend.

Applicants should be able to demonstrate their awareness of our safety vision http://www.networkrail.co.uk/safety

What does this assessment involve ? Is it only a competency based interview ?
I had an assessment day or a position in Ely in september , but they told me that in the email for ely :

The day will consist of assessments ( tests ) which you are required to pass; if you are successful you will be put forward for interview which will take place the same day.

Thanks

Last edited:

ryan__84

Hello all ,
I have just received an email :

I am pleased to inform you your application for future Signaller opportunities based at York and the surrounding areas has been shortlisted.

You are invited to attend anassessment event in York where you will receive a welcome presentation andundertake a competency based interview. Please click on the link below to select a date and time you would like to attend.

Applicants should be able to demonstrate their awareness of our safety vision http://www.networkrail.co.uk/safety

What does this assessment involve ? Is it only a competency based interview ?
I had an assessment day or a position in Ely in september , but they told me that in the email for ely :

The day will consist of assessments ( tests ) which you are required to pass; if you are successful you will be put forward for interview which will take place the same day.

Thanks

Well done!!

I've also applied for the same one... got an email today asking me to select my preferred location by 2nd Feb and that assessments would be the following week.

Did you get this before the invitation for assessment email?

NewtoNR

How far in advance do you receive details for signalling school such as accommodation, arrangements for your first day, travel etc.? Who provides these details?

WoollyMammoth

Hi all,

Spent a fair amount of time reading through this thread the last few days. Some invaluable info which I'm very appreciative of.

Just wondering if anyone's had this before - I've just filled out the application questionnaire on NR's website and when I clicked 'Finish Test' at the end all I've been presented with is a blank screen with a blue banner across the top containing the NR logo. I've no way of knowing whether its accepted it or not (I haven't had an email to tell me, but then I don't know whether they send you an 'application received' email anyways). I don't want to hit the refresh button either in case it submits it all a second time.

I just had the same issue today, did you get yours sorted?

ChrisRS

How far in advance do you receive details for signalling school such as accommodation, arrangements for your first day, travel etc.? Who provides these details?

The day I started and your LOM should provide all the information.

Defenestrate

Really depends on how organised your chain of command is i think. I started sig school this week, and knew where and when it was a month or so in advance. But, i only found out the hotel details about a week beforehand.

desrudy

On Moderation
Well done!!

I've also applied for the same one... got an email today asking me to select my preferred location by 2nd Feb and that assessments would be the following week.

Did you get this before the invitation for assessment email?

Yeah i got this email too , the 20th January .

desrudy

On Moderation
Really depends on how organised your chain of command is i think. I started sig school this week, and knew where and when it was a month or so in advance. But, i only found out the hotel details about a week beforehand.

Is it the same hotel every time they start a new course ?