• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Defenestrate

Is it the same hotel every time they start a new course ?

I think most of the time if possible yes, but it can depend on when and where you are, how many courses might be running at the same time etc etc. NR seem to use IHG group hotels for large bookings, so that narrows it down to a few nearby possibles.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

headshot119

Established Member
I think most of the time if possible yes, but it can depend on when and where you are, how many courses might be running at the same time etc etc. NR seem to use IHG group hotels for large bookings, so that narrows it down to a few nearby possibles.

This is completely false, they'll use whatever hotels are available at the time.

Irishmanc353

Basic, and you can easily add another 10% on top of that.
Might I just say that I love seeing the Welsh-themed photo or avatar on here - being Irish and having passed through Holyhead so many times, I have grown in my appreciation, admiration and deep respect for all things Welsh related, as I have many Welsh friends here in Manchester

MOM67

What it is, i have not yet been signalling school etc as I am working as a MOM but always wanted to be a signaller - passed the online tests etc just never got an interview,

I am looking to move to reduce commute times, better property prices and nicer work locations etc..

I would of course notify the hiring LOM of my intentions just wanted to hear from people in the roles if they have experienced anything otherwise

thank you

Ask your iLOM and RMT Rep about "Personal Development" and advise him/her that you would like to attend Signalling School ; this shouldn't be denied.

Hemmy1!

No interview for Hammerton

No reason given

Just waiting to see about my other application now. Not holding my breathe

MC0096

No interview for Hammerton

No reason given

Just waiting to see about my other application now. Not holding my breathe

unlucky mate, chin up! Just out of curiosity, what was the gap between the closing date and finding out about not getting an interview?

Good luck for future applications!

Elamfo

Hello Everyone, I'm new to this forum.
I recently applied for a signaller role based at east midlands control centre and have been offered an interview! I am trying to do my research but I am a bit overwhelmed by the amount of information on the network rail website. I have seen the 8 non-technical skills mentioned often on this forum but cannot seem to find them. Is anyone able to offer any more advice on where to find these and how else to prepare for the interview? Thanks, Izzy.

ROCsteadycrew

To Elamfo and anyone else trying to get a signaller position. You can find the 8 NTS by googling/searching (I put in 8 NTS and the first result was for this site). Many people have answered the question in this thread already so I won't repeat them.

I would advise reading this thread and pay particular attention to p129 where there is a great post with application advice.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Hemmy1!

unlucky mate, chin up! Just out of curiosity, what was the gap between the closing date and finding out about not getting an interview?

Good luck for future applications!
I think at least a couple of months pal

Thank you same to you

choochoobacca

Sorry if the answer to these questions are elsewhere - I’ve done a quick search but came up short.

1 - Does anybody know if Chippenham Junction is AB or TCB?

2 - If you did the TCB course at signal school, but then got an AB job, would you have to go back and do the full AB course?

3 - is ‘flexi’ the same thing as relief? Would a flexi premium simply be applied to your basic salary or only apply to shifts you do away from your home box?

Many thanks for any info anybody can provide!

headshot119

Established Member
Sorry if the answer to these questions are elsewhere - I’ve done a quick search but came up short.

1 - Does anybody know if Chippenham Junction is AB or TCB?

2 - If you did the TCB course at signal school, but then got an AB job, would you have to go back and do the full AB course?

3 - is ‘flexi’ the same thing as relief? Would a flexi premium simply be applied to your basic salary or only apply to shifts you do away from your home box?

Many thanks for any info anybody can provide!

1) TCB and Tokenless Block

2) You'd likely have to yes.

3) Yes it is. FP payments are made on top of your basic salary at a flat four weekly rate.

Steve Perkins

Hi, currently undergoing recruitment tests for Job in Arbroath sb.
Can anybody advise what the pass mark is for the numerical and verbal reasoning tests are? And do you have to answer all the questions in the time?
Been a few years since I had to do any maths so swatting up in readiness to taking it. Any info appreciated.
Cheers Steve

Steve Perkins

we aren’t privy to the pass marks - nor do we get the results. The only info you will get is if you have met the required benchmark or not!
I didn’t finish all the maths questions in the allotted time, but. I still met the bench mark. They have a practice section - my advice is to use this until you feel ready to do the test proper. And good luck!
Hi Cleanshirt,
Thanks for the info, maths is the only one I'm bothered about. What was the interview like leading on to the assessment day?

Haydenb

Hello, new to the forum but thanks to all for their contributions, it's really good to see the help given to people raising inquiries from people inside the rail service.i've applied for a future signaller role and there is a twelve week residential training period incorporated into a one year training schedule.i'm sure this has been asked before but does anyone know what the pay is for the first year.is it apprentice rates ? Fingers crossed I join you on the future and thanks for your help.

89jordanbj

Hello, new to the forum but thanks to all for their contributions, it's really good to see the help given to people raising inquiries from people inside the rail service.i've applied for a future signaller role and there is a twelve week residential training period incorporated into a one year training schedule.i'm sure this has been asked before but does anyone know what the pay is for the first year.is it apprentice rates ? Fingers crossed I join you on the future and thanks for your help.
Not a NR employee myself, but from what I have read on this forum I believe the pay would be 1 grade below your fully passed out salary.

Heydonc

Hi All,

New to the thread, but I have applied for Ridgmont Grade 4 box. Anyone on here worked there or close to there before? Whats it like? Any danger of the signalling box being closed in a few years to come. We have the West - East railway line coming into construction as we speak...

Any advice/help would be appreciated.

Steve Perkins

Hi everyone,
Have applied for a position in Arbroath sb. Have heard that this box is due for closure in 2024/25 when the Roc come onto line.
Has anyone heard if this is true?
Many thanks.
Steve

LOM

The date is up in the air at the moment but ultimately Arbroath will be migrated to a new workstation in Inverness Signalling Centre.

Steve Perkins

The date is up in the air at the moment but ultimately Arbroath will be migrated to a new workstation in Inverness Signalling Centre.
Ah right, thanks for the info.
Guess then Arbroath staff would be made redundant or have to relocate?

SiggerSigAhh

Has anybody got a rota for a 6-6 12 hour shift pattern, obviously they will vary greatly but it would be nice to see a pattern if possible?

Hello matey, mine is:

Wk 1: Mon: 0600-1800 Tue: 0600-1800 Wed: 0600-1800
Wk 2: Thu: 1800-0600 Fri: 1800-0600 Sat: 1800-0600 Sun: 2200-0600
Wk 3: Thu: 0600-1800 Fri: 0600-1800 Sat: 0600-1800
Wk 4: Mon: 1800-0600 Tue: 1800-0600 Wed: 1800-0600

And it just carries on ad infinitum on a 4 week cycle. Just fyi the Sunday night is counted as OT so is on top of your basic. You have the option not to work it, but...just nah. You always do haha.

Also every 12 weeks I think it is you get a random 2 extra days off to balance up the hours. I hoover up a fair amount of OT, but if you're happy just working your booked shifts then, as you see, you get plenty of time off :)

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Just a heads up for anyone that has submitted an application for a signaller job on the NR website recently - I applied for two over the weekend and when I completed the 69 pre-screening questions and hit the 'Finish Test' button, it took me to a blank screen. I refreshed the page and I was taken back to the section where you can opt to do the questions again or submit the application. I chose the latter and it all went through OK but I was still a little concerned, so decided to email NR recruitment support. They told me that the answers to the questions had NOT been submitted. I then had to fill out a Word version of the questionnaire and send it back, and they have attached it to my applications.

It seems there was an issue with the system which has since been resolved, but I'm glad I made contact with them, and to their credit they were very quick to respond and sort things out for me.

Midlands_lad

Hello matey, mine is:

Wk 1: Mon: 0600-1800 Tue: 0600-1800 Wed: 0600-1800
Wk 2: Thu: 1800-0600 Fri: 1800-0600 Sat: 1800-0600 Sun: 2200-0600
Wk 3: Thu: 0600-1800 Fri: 0600-1800 Sat: 0600-1800
Wk 4: Mon: 1800-0600 Tue: 1800-0600 Wed: 1800-0600

And it just carries on ad infinitum on a 4 week cycle. Just fyi the Sunday night is counted as OT so is on top of your basic. You have the option not to work it, but...just nah. You always do haha.

Also every 12 weeks I think it is you get a random 2 extra days off to balance up the hours. I hoover up a fair amount of OT, but if you're happy just working your booked shifts then, as you see, you get plenty of time off :)

Hope this helps.
Thanks, that looks like a great shift pattern!

ILoveLamp

Just a heads up for anyone that has submitted an application for a signaller job on the NR website recently - I applied for two over the weekend and when I completed the 69 pre-screening questions and hit the 'Finish Test' button, it took me to a blank screen. I refreshed the page and I was taken back to the section where you can opt to do the questions again or submit the application. I chose the latter and it all went through OK but I was still a little concerned, so decided to email NR recruitment support. They told me that the answers to the questions had NOT been submitted. I then had to fill out a Word version of the questionnaire and send it back, and they have attached it to my applications.

It seems there was an issue with the system which has since been resolved, but I'm glad I made contact with them, and to their credit they were very quick to respond and sort things out for me.

I saw an opportunity for a position nearby at fairly last minute and started making my way through the questions...at one point when I chose Next Page it said I was logged out because of time!!! Grrr... If I remember TPE website did something similar. Really annoying that when you are actively typing long answers for experience on these questions that you get timed out and booted out! I think they need to get their website designers on the case! For that opportunity that I saw I never had the time to refill it out so missed out applying which was a bit of a bugger.. So copy and paste into word it will be next time.. You live and learn.