• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
If your at a remote SB and spare means gone on standby that would be good, if your ROC based and spare means sat round for 11hrs bored mindless then bad thing...

I can’t see fully manned with everyone working rosters for a long time, if ever...hopefully.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

desrudy

On Moderation
Hi ,

so i had the interview saturday at 08:30 .
The interviewers were really cool .
They Ask questions about the safety policy in the company , how you see that . Informations you find on the website and should study for the interview.
how you would react or act to this event or situation and especially the 7-8 Non technical skills , it’s more the competency part of the interview.
On internet u can find them , well explained with exemples . So you adapt that to your life exemples.
You should also know some stuff about how the company work and their slogan .
The interview lasted 30-40 min .
They told us we should receive an answer around the 24th February .
The training should start the 04th May . Apparently They have a lot of place where people are trained : york , basingstoke, i forgot the rest .
I only apply to a Position at the York ROC so i don’t know more .
if you have more infos , feel free to share it .

WoollyMammoth

Anyone know anything Willesden? Shift pattern etc? It’s grade 2 but as it’s London does it also attract London weighting plus shift allowance etc?

nom de guerre

There are two "Willesden" boxes, located at opposite ends of Wembley Yard: Carriage Shed North and South. Both G3 - G2 while training, of course - and qualify for Inner London (£3099.98/yr) and LAOS 1 (£1259.96/yr) supplements.

Carriage Shed South work 8s; the North work earlies (8hrs) and nights (10hrs) only, although it occasionally opens in the afternoons too.

At least one poster on this thread works at one of the two.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Hi ,

so i had the interview saturday at 08:30 .
The interviewers were really cool .
They Ask questions about the safety policy in the company , how you see that . Informations you find on the website and should study for the interview.
how you would react or act to this event or situation and especially the 7-8 Non technical skills , it’s more the competency part of the interview.
On internet u can find them , well explained with exemples . So you adapt that to your life exemples.
You should also know some stuff about how the company work and their slogan .
The interview lasted 30-40 min .
They told us we should receive an answer around the 24th February .
The training should start the 04th May . Apparently They have a lot of place where people are trained : york , basingstoke, i forgot the rest .
I only apply to a Position at the York ROC so i don’t know more .
if you have more infos , feel free to share it .
This will sound really rude, it’s not intended as such however. Please if you get the job try and build sentences, as opposed to bullet points.

7Paul7

Hi All,

I attended the "assessment day" for York future opportunities on Friday, which was in essence an interview with no assessments to do. Wish I had found this thread sooner as I would have been more prepared.

For anyone else that was interviewed did they ask you about all 8 of the NTS or just a selection of them I think, from memory I was asked four of them, that being said my answers overlapped so for the Attention management answer I would have also covered the conscientious NTS in my example.

We were told we would have a yes or no by 17th Feb with a formal offer by the 24th with Signal school starting early April,

Think this interview will be marked up as experience for the next but will see what happens next week some of the posts here have gave me hope all is not lost

desrudy

On Moderation
Hi All,

I attended the "assessment day" for York future opportunities on Friday, which was in essence an interview with no assessments to do. Wish I had found this thread sooner as I would have been more prepared.

For anyone else that was interviewed did they ask you about all 8 of the NTS or just a selection of them I think, from memory I was asked four of them, that being said my answers overlapped so for the Attention management answer I would have also covered the conscientious NTS in my example.

We were told we would have a yes or no by 17th Feb with a formal offer by the 24th with Signal school starting early April,

Think this interview will be marked up as experience for the next but will see what happens next week some of the posts here have gave me hope all is not lost

Hi , they asked me questions only about 4 of the 8 NTS .

Did they tell you where would start the course in April ?

Amanda

Hey everyone, I'm thinking of applying for the crossing keeper position at Long Eaton, however it says it's at Roddige signal box and I can't locate it. Google seems to think it's near Lichfield. Does anyone know where it is?

HA7136

Hi all, My status for the grade 7 at Derby went to 'Invite to Assessment 2 Pending' yesterday and today i recieved an 'Application Unsuccessful'. Anyone else had a similar thing? It kind of got my hopes up with the pending assesement status only to be shattered today... so just a word of warning that these updates really do seem to be some sort of dark art! I have to say i wouldn't have been (as) disappointed if I hadn't logged in to the careers site to check the status. Ah well, back to applying i guess...

Hi all, My status for the grade 7 at Derby went to 'Invite to Assessment 2 Pending' yesterday and today i recieved an 'Application Unsuccessful'. Anyone else had a similar thing? It kind of got my hopes up with the pending assesement status only to be shattered today... so just a word of warning that these updates really do seem to be some sort of dark art! I have to say i wouldn't have been (as) disappointed if I hadn't logged in to the careers site to check the status. Ah well, back to applying i guess...

Yes I've had that too and it doesn't seem to be that uncommon. There isn't really a reliable pattern and so until you get an invite to an interview I think its best to assume nothing!

Dave Tasty

High Dyke

Established Member
Hey everyone, I'm thinking of applying for the crossing keeper position at Long Eaton, however it says it's at Roddige signal box and I can't locate it. Google seems to think it's near Lichfield. Does anyone know where it is?
Hi. The location question has already been answered, but just to add the respective Line Manager is based at EMCC in Derby. The crossing has just had a new set of gates fitted. Here's a link to a picture of the old gates. https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5564287

Gallius

I applied for a grade 8 relief role back in November, interviewed for it at the end of January and I was called last week and offered the job by the LOM. I am delighted to say the least. Expecting to be starting signalling school in May/June. I've spent hours over the past few months reading through this forum/thread so a huge thanks to everyone who has contributed, it has been invaluable!

TRain87

I applied for a grade 8 relief role back in November, interviewed for it at the end of January and I was called last week and offered the job by the LOM. I am delighted to say the least. Expecting to be starting signalling school in May/June. I've spent hours over the past few months reading through this forum/thread so a huge thanks to everyone who has contributed, it has been invaluable!
Nice one! Grade 8 relief, great job...any money worries you had will soon be gone ;)

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

Fantastic news !

Daniel Hassan

Hey guys,

Applied for the Feltham signaller role. Passed the screening questions part and just received my 3x online test assessment yesterday, so going to spend a good few hours on those later tonight. I applied 7 months ago for another Signaller role in London, but unfortunately didn’t pass the assessment stage. I took my time, which meant I didn’t finish the assessment on time. Lesson learned. Any tips guys? Wish me luck. Really hope I make the interview stage.,

Amanda

Thanks, @Dave Tasty and @High Dyke.... So it isn't in Long Eaton then?!?? Long Eaton is not in Staffordshire. I'm just wondering where Long Eaton comes into it if the job is in Staffordshire and the line manager in Derby.

Rockhopper

Long Eaton is in Derbyshire, maybe that’s where the hiring manager is based? Staffordshire isn’t so far away!

Amanda

Long Eaton is in Derbyshire, maybe that’s where the hiring manager is based? Staffordshire isn’t so far away!

Maybe. I used to work in Long Eaton, and I'm from Staffordshire (and, living in Nottingham, I have applied for signaller roles in Staffordshire). You could not reasonably advertise it as being in Long Eaton if in fact it is near Lichfield, just my opinion - I wonder if it's a mistake, with Long Eaton being not so far down the list from Lichfield perhaps. It sounds like it's not in Long Eaton at all and, having been to Lichfield many times it's not a commute I would want to do.

Leafage

Could someone please answer the following for me?
As a relief signaller I'll be working a minimum of 36 hours. Let's completely ignore overtime for now.
If I do 4x8 hour shifts, that makes 32 hours. How does the remaining 4 hours get accounted for? Training, CPD, admin etc?
Thanks in advance.

Leafage

Well done!
I haven't received a date or location for signal school yet, so may see you at a school somewhere! Stranger things have happened.
All the best.

Chumba

Could someone please answer the following for me?
As a relief signaller I'll be working a minimum of 36 hours. Let's completely ignore overtime for now.
If I do 4x8 hour shifts, that makes 32 hours. How does the remaining 4 hours get accounted for? Training, CPD, admin etc?
Thanks in advance.

They will be 12hrs shifts as well on Sundays, that will make up the hours I think.

nom de guerre

Thanks in advance.

You’ll be rostered to work 40 hours most weeks, with an extra rest day every 12 weeks to balance your hours.

thecrofter

Google is correct. Roddige Lane crossing is on the South Staffs line between Wichnor Junction and Lichfield. Just down the line from Alrewas LC Signal Box and before Fine Lane Crossing.

High Dyke

Established Member
Thanks, @Dave Tasty and @High Dyke.... So it isn't in Long Eaton then?!?? Long Eaton is not in Staffordshire. I'm just wondering where Long Eaton comes into it if the job is in Staffordshire and the line manager in Derby.
I'm not certain the HR department really know at times, when it comes to job applications. There's just been one advertised for a manager, but the location given on the post isn't even in the same route. Two separate vacancies in the same signal box also had different locations shown...