• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Cyclist

"All applications were reviewed against role specific criteria. Unfortunately on this occasion
we won't be taking your application any further due to the following reason:
Thank you for your interest in the position. We encourage you to search our job site for other
potential opportunities."

Looks like they didn't give me a reason. Is this common?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Midlands_lad

"All applications were reviewed against role specific criteria. Unfortunately on this occasion
we won't be taking your application any further due to the following reason:
Thank you for your interest in the position. We encourage you to search our job site for other
potential opportunities."

Looks like they didn't give me a reason. Is this common?
I have had this exact email after applying for the uttoxeter signaller role, it went from under consideration for assessment 2 to that? I am still waiting to hear from WMSC my interview was nearly 3 weeks ago, fingers still crossed!

Amanda

I got the same rejection for Uttoxeter!

And thanks for the replies about Long Eaton /Roddige. :p

Amanda

Did you not apply to WMSC for the talent pool, or is Birmingham too far?

It's too far, EMCC is my local, I live in Nottingham. I have been applying for Derby /Sheffield locations. Uttoxeter is the furthest I would drive, it's about 45-50 minutes.

Sunset route

Could someone please answer the following for me?
As a relief signaller I'll be working a minimum of 36 hours. Let's completely ignore overtime for now.
If I do 4x8 hour shifts, that makes 32 hours. How does the remaining 4 hours get accounted for? Training, CPD, admin etc?
Thanks in advance.

A working week is only Monday to Saturday as far as basic hours are concerned, then all rosters are worked out over multiples of weeks to get the hours to balance out which usually means working multiples of the same pattern with one or two weeks within the cycle having extra days off or worked built in which is how the whole thing balances out.

Midlands_lad

Could anyone please clarify this shift pattern. Am I reading this correctly, week 1 would finish at 18:00 Wednesday evening and you would return the following Thursday evening at 18:00? That would give you 7 rest days between week 1 and 2? Thank you again for the rota, this forum really is brilliant for advice!

Attachments

• 32118C2C-C0C1-4621-8EE5-D3D78B3A95CA.png
    32118C2C-C0C1-4621-8EE5-D3D78B3A95CA.png
    316.4 KB · Views: 91

HelixUK

Could anyone please clarify this shift pattern. Am I reading this correctly, week 1 would finish at 18:00 Wednesday evening and you would return the following Thursday evening at 18:00? That would give you 7 rest days between week 1 and 2? Thank you again for the rota, this forum really is brilliant for advice!

That's correct. I'm on the same 12 hour pattern. The time off is nice. Very nice.

mac

Don't just look at 7 rest days it also gives you 6 12 hour shifts in 7 days

Sunset route

Hello matey, mine is:

Wk 1: Mon: 0600-1800 Tue: 0600-1800 Wed: 0600-1800
Wk 2: Thu: 1800-0600 Fri: 1800-0600 Sat: 1800-0600 Sun: 2200-0600
Wk 3: Thu: 0600-1800 Fri: 0600-1800 Sat: 0600-1800
Wk 4: Mon: 1800-0600 Tue: 1800-0600 Wed: 1800-0600

And it just carries on ad infinitum on a 4 week cycle. Just fyi the Sunday night is counted as OT so is on top of your basic. You have the option not to work it, but...just nah. You always do haha.

Also every 12 weeks I think it is you get a random 2 extra days off to balance up the hours. I hoover up a fair amount of OT, but if you're happy just working your booked shifts then, as you see, you get plenty of time off :)

Hope this helps.

Thanks, that looks like a great shift pattern!

That's correct. I'm on the same 12 hour pattern. The time off is nice. Very nice.

Don't just look at 7 rest days it also gives you 6 12 hour shifts in 7 days

I must be reading it wrong, how does it make you work 6 shifts in 7 days?

Week three into week four is the period that contains 6 shifts in 7 days, Thu 12days, Fri 12days, Sat 12days Sun off, Mon 12nights, Tue 12nights, Wed 12nights.

Is it just me or is this roster missing a Sunday day turn 06:00-1800?

Last edited:

7Paul7

Hi ,

so i had the interview saturday at 08:30 .
The interviewers were really cool .
They Ask questions about the safety policy in the company , how you see that . Informations you find on the website and should study for the interview.
how you would react or act to this event or situation and especially the 7-8 Non technical skills , it’s more the competency part of the interview.
On internet u can find them , well explained with exemples . So you adapt that to your life exemples.
You should also know some stuff about how the company work and their slogan .
The interview lasted 30-40 min .
They told us we should receive an answer around the 24th February .
The training should start the 04th May . Apparently They have a lot of place where people are trained : york , basingstoke, i forgot the rest .
I only apply to a Position at the York ROC so i don’t know more .
if you have more infos , feel free to share it .

Got a call from recruitment I've been fortunate enough to get a place at signalling school starting on 4th may

qwertyberty

Good to hear people being successful from the York assessment days on 7th & 8th Feb! Anyone getting offers other than 12 month fixed term contract at grade 2?

7Paul7

Good to hear people being successful from the York assessment days on 7th & 8th Feb! Anyone getting offers other than 12 month fixed term contract at grade 2?

During the interview, I asked the question and was told the positions were 12 month FTC with no specific box assigned, the idea being to fill full time positions they expect to become vacant during this time.

9tfrizzco

I was told they are hiring 200 signallers in the york area to serve the railway upgrade plan. . Could be wrong, but I definitely do remember hearing something along those lines during interview

89jordanbj

Anybody had any updates on their applications for the Cardiff SWCC or Pontrilas SB positions?

I am trying to remain patient but both have been sat at Test Completed since December.

Rockhopper

I’d ping an email to HR, that often produces a result thought it’s often not the one you wanted. After all that time though...

amanda08

Hoping for some confirmation. I had applied for crossing keeper (grade 1) and have been sent a link to the online test. However the only test and link in the email was for the situational judgement test. I keep reading about 3 online tests so not sure why I only have one? Is that due to the low grade? I will ring NR in the morning, just thought someone here may also know one way or the other.
Thanks