• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Allaboard78

It's interesting how different timescales are. I was interviewed beginning on May and am of to signaller school 1st June. Have yet to do medical,told this will happen either during or after school.
Have they managed to source your hotel?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bouff34

Kevyboy

I have an interview coming up for a Signaller position. I have worked in S&T for 18 years. Am I right in thinking if I am successful at interview then ultimately fail at signalling school then I would be basically out of a job.
Has anyone heard of someone from a similar background making the transition?

Last edited:

godfreycomplex

Established Member
I have an interview coming up for a Signaller position. I have worked in S&T for 18 years. Am I right in thinking if I am successful at interview then ultimately fail at signalling school then I would be basically out of a job.
It depends on the situation but usually no, if you’ve been in the company more than a certain time (about 6 months I believe). Plus it’s important to note that signalling school will give you as much help as is reasonably possible to pass. If you’ve got the potential, they’ll bring it out.
Fairly unusual in my neck of the woods but certainly not unheard of, and quite common elsewhere
All the best!

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Many thanks! Yes, I have reached the bench mark scores so will wait to hear.

Why the second advert though, any idea?

Not enough applicants perhaps, remember Didcot is the centre of some pretty high tech and high paid jobs.
Grade 2 crossing keeper jobs aren’t particularly sort after by those with the skills in the area.

Kevyboy

It depends on the situation but usually no, if you’ve been in the company more than a certain time (about 6 months I believe). Plus it’s important to note that signalling school will give you as much help as is reasonably possible to pass. If you’ve got the potential, they’ll bring it out.
Fairly unusual in my neck of the woods but certainly not unheard of, and quite common elsewhere
All the best!
Thanks, Just worried about leaving a steady post. Nerves about changing after all this time I guess but it’s a job that I really want to pursue.

Last edited:

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

Being from an S&T background you should have no problem with school, as long as you go in a fresh sheet of paper. Not a know it all, I know better type take on it all. Worse comes to worse you’ll get at least two shots at school, put the work in and you’ll be fine!

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Thanks, Just worries about leaving a steady post. Nerves about changing after all this time I guess but it’s a job that I really want to pursue.
For sure. It is a big step but if you’ve got the attitude and the desire (as Tom Quinne says being open minded and receptive is the way to go) it should be fairly straightforward. Keep looking forward eh.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Hi everyone, how far is an acceptable commute? I am considering applying for the Paignton box, according to maps, it’s a 53 minute drive, I’ve seen on here that 45 minutes is about the max!

53 minutes with clear traffic, what is the time on a high summer day ?
i don’t think theres a maximum distance or time at the moment, remember its commute plus a 12hr turn - take it from one whos done the 12hr turn + 140 minute commute it’s a killer !

SiggysigAah

53 minutes with clear traffic, what is the time on a high summer day ?
i don’t think theres a maximum distance or time at the moment, remember its commute plus a 12hr turn - take it from one whos done the 12hr turn + 140 minute commute it’s a killer !
Would the starting and finishing times on 12 hour turns mean you miss the worst of the 9-5 and tourist traffic?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Would the starting and finishing times on 12 hour turns mean you miss the worst of the 9-5 and tourist traffic?

Mot knowing that part of the world I don’t know, but I do know I nearly always hit some kind of traffic going home from TVSC, the A34? from Oxford down to the M4 was horrfic for accidents.

Kevyboy

Being from an S&T background you should have no problem with school, as long as you go in a fresh sheet of paper. Not a know it all, I know better type take on it all. Worse comes to worse you’ll get at least two shots at school, put the work in and you’ll be fine!
Thanks for your reply. Would definitely not go in with that attitude seen too many people like that in the past.

Kevyboy

For sure. It is a big step but if you’ve got the attitude and the desire (as Tom Quinne says being open minded and receptive is the way to go) it should be fairly straightforward. Keep looking forward eh.
Thanks for your reply. Definitely going to go for it and approach it with an open mind.

SWTurbo

Out of curiosity, how does one find out who the LOM is at each box? Also, what do the numbers mean in each application? (Eg. OD Woking signallers (103354)G1)

Kraken

Having spent quite a bit of timein the Torbay area the tourist traffic is a killer point - in summer you can be practically stationary for what feels like decades on almost any route in or out of the area. I'd be more than happy to commute 50ish minutes to work each way- but what if it ended up being 90 minutes?

Tomnick

Established Member
So chuffed! I've just been offered the relief signaller job at Oakham, following my interview two weeks ago :D

It was one of my first applications and my first interview so I am over the moon to be successful :D
I need to say a big thanks to all the contributors to this forum. The information here has been invaluable and I doubt I would have been successful without it!
Many congratulations! Do you know which boxes you'll be covering? I started my signalling career at the box next door and finished as a relief covering them all, so I was quietly keen to see the job go to a worthy recipient :D

SiggysigAah

If it’s 07:00 19:00 you would be arriving at 06:30 or 18:30? Suppose the 18:30 might see you caught up in rush hour / tourist traffic when you set off depending how far your commute is and the 06:30 miss it.

Being in the North West and starting at 6am has dulled my horrific memories of South East traffic jams at 6:30am.

LOM

Out of curiosity, how does one find out who the LOM is at each box? Also, what do the numbers mean in each application? (Eg. OD Woking signallers (103354)G1)
If you are an external candidate you will not be able to find out, all communication is supposed to be via HR until after the interview. The numbers are the LOM's cost centre.

Last edited:

Donachie

Just spotted Kirkconnel SB (GSW) being advertised... It's within 90 minutes of where I currently live, as opposed to the other applications I've submitted where I'd have to move house. Not that I'd mind moving house at all (the joys of being young and single), but not moving is of course easier!

Question for you ladies and gentlemen then - does anyone know the type of roster operated at Kirkconnel?

Fairly sure Kirkconnel is 12 hours shifts 07:00 to 19:00 to 07:00 except Saturday , closes 16:00 , Sunday Closed. Opens 00:00 Monday

amanda08

Many congratulations! Do you know which boxes you'll be covering? I started my signalling career at the box next door and finished as a relief covering them all, so I was quietly keen to see the job go to a worthy recipient :D
Thank you
I’ve been told the boxes between Frisby and Uffington. I’m not totally sure how many boxes that is?
Any tips for me you’d like to share?
I’m very keen to get started now!
Are you retiring or just off to pastures new?

Midlands_lad

My start date has changed from September to the end of June, very happy with the call I received Friday telling me this!
Is anybody on here due to start training on the 6th July at Walsall?

Sammy2019

Is there an issue with applying for multiple signaller roles within a geographic area or would network rail look down on this?

SiggysigAah

Is there an issue with applying for multiple signaller roles within a geographic area or would network rail look down on this?
I am led to believe it is not an issue. Applying for vacancies all over the country may not be the best idea. As the LOM can see all the vacancies you have applied for.

Tomnick

Established Member
Thank you
I’ve been told the boxes between Frisby and Uffington. I’m not totally sure how many boxes that is?
Any tips for me you’d like to share?
I’m very keen to get started now!
Are you retiring or just off to pastures new?
Eleven locations in total, two of which are just gate boxes. Quite a bit of variety too.

For me, retirement’s still a distant prospect! I’ve gone over to the dark side, driving. I don’t regret making the move but I loved almost every minute in the signalling grade and I do miss my it in many ways!

89jordanbj

I am led to believe it is not an issue. Applying for vacancies all over the country may not be the best idea. As the LOM can see all the vacancies you have applied for.
Would be interested to hear LOM's opinion on this (having a candidate who's applied for multiple vacancies across the country).

I have a couple of applications in at locations away from home where I would be willing to relocate to start my new career. I also include a cover letter for each application outlining my plan.

In my own opinion it shows a commitment and desire to become a signaller.

LOM

Would be interested to hear LOM's opinion on this (having a candidate who's applied for multiple vacancies across the country).

I have a couple of applications in at locations away from home where I would be willing to relocate to start my new career. I also include a cover letter for each application outlining my plan.

In my own opinion it shows a commitment and desire to become a signaller.

It does show commitment to the role but as I think I have said here before it can seem a little bit desperate if someone applies from the other end of the country and they have multiple applications in the system at once. If you apply for every vacancy in your local area the LOM will soon get to know your name. I have a mental list of decent repeat candidates who I would like to employ at some point and who will probably end up as signallers eventually.

NR policy is not to give feedback on an application before the interview stage but HR will pass on a request for feedback to the LOM if you pester them so if you keep failing to be shortlisted it might be worth asking them. Though the LOM is not required to reply I think most would if they had time. I have done it a couple of times.

Again as I have said on this thread before make sure it is crystal clear in your CV and/or letter that you are willing to relocate if you need to. The CV is the single most important thing in the application so make sure it clearly demonstrates how you think you meet the essential criteria for the job, as shown on the advert

On the other side of the coin in my experience there are several names who keep popping up who will never be suitable and are, frankly, just wasting their time and mine. Unfortunately we are definitely not allowed to say that. There is a person who has applied for over 200 vacancies all over the country in the last 5 years. They did actually manage to land a signaller job a couple of years ago but failed the course (spectacularly by all accounts), were dismissed and are still applying for virtually every job going. I expect almost every LOM will know exactly the name I am talking about.

Last edited:

amanda08

I asked this question a couple of weeks ago and after interviewing two weeks ago, I’ve just this week received a job offer
At my interview I was interviewed by two different LOMS for different boxes, at the same time (same area of the country though).
So I wouldn’t say it’s an issue.