• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

OldRamon

Hello folks.

Glad I stumbled upon this forum while I have been applying to be a signalman. Good to see people who are engaged with their work and exciting that could be me in the next 6 months! Hopefully one day I'll be able to contribute a small kernel of knowledge to the board too.

Few quick questions in the mean time though:
I can answer the 8 NTS fairly well with experience in last job, but would it be wise to through in some other roles/life experiences that may not be as striking an answer but shows a variety of life experience?

Also, for boxes on the Scotland route is signalling school for new starts also down south?

Thanks again everyone.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sibbs37

Is anyone able to shed some light on what it means to make it to the allocation stage after a live interview please? My husband had an interview and has received an email saying he is now at the allocation stage but has to wait almost two weeks for the outcome. It’s going to be a loooong two weeks! Many thanks.

Major1494

Is anyone able to shed some light on what it means to make it to the allocation stage after a live interview please? My husband had an interview and has received an email saying he is now at the allocation stage but has to wait almost two weeks for the outcome. It’s going to be a loooong two weeks! Many thanks.
I’m in the same position For the North East Opportunities post. Hopefully it’s positive news!

So after receiving a job offer in early April and a long wait for a medical - and the results of the drug and alcohol test, I've finally been given a start date of 17th August! This is quite handy as I took a chance and handed my notice in at work yesterday :D There is a school due to start on that date but I don't know whether I'm on it or not at the moment, but I'm very happy nonetheless.

A big thanks to all the people that have posted helpful information on this forum - @Tom Quinne @Sunset route @High Dyke to name but a few. It has been invaluable!

Good luck to everyone who is still going through the process - stick with it and you'll get there as I did.

Mi&Li

I would also like clarification as to what this means!

Garion

I would also like clarification as to what this means!

As suggested in the email, I expect they will be telling us whether they plan to employ us or not on the specified date. They say they’re reviewing suitability for the available positions.

Mi&Li

As suggested in the email, I expect they will be telling us whether they plan to employ us or not on the specified date. They say they’re reviewing suitability for the available positions.
Well that is the thing, there are no positions. You are to apply for any that become available once you are trained. So I was told on my interview anyhow

Garion

Well that is the thing, there are no positions. You are to apply for any that become available once you are trained. So I was told on my interview anyhow

I mean the general position of Signaller. If successful, we will get a start date for school (and commencement of employment).

Saracen_83

There an internal website, all jobs are posted on there. You’ll need your network rail username and password to access and apply for them

LOM

Is that the myconnect website?

On the MyConnect home page you are looking for My Tool & Sites on the bottom right hand side. Click on that and when the alphabetical list comes up click on J and look for “Job Search”. You can either click through from there or add it as a shortcut to your MyConnect home page. The other way you can get in is from eBusiness Suite using the iRecruitment Employee Candidate tab.

Allaboard78

On the MyConnect home page you are looking for My Tool & Sites on the bottom right hand side. Click on that and when the alphabetical list comes up click on J and look for “Job Search”. You can either click through from there or add it as a shortcut to your MyConnect home page. The other way you can get in is from eBusiness Suite using the iRecruitment Employee Candidate tab.
Always rely on you

High Dyke

Established Member
So after receiving a job offer in early April and a long wait for a medical - and the results of the drug and alcohol test, I've finally been given a start date of 17th August! This is quite handy as I took a chance and handed my notice in at work yesterday :D There is a school due to start on that date but I don't know whether I'm on it or not at the moment, but I'm very happy nonetheless.

A big thanks to all the people that have posted helpful information on this forum - @Tom Quinne @Sunset route @High Dyke to name but a few. It has been invaluable!

Good luck to everyone who is still going through the process - stick with it and you'll get there as I did.
Well done. Top banana! Glad we could help.

89jordanbj

Could anybody tell me if Evesham SB is located at the railway station itself please? And whether they are still on a 12 hour roster?

Tried finding the postcode for the SB online to no avail.

Just want to figure out if it is commutable for me or look at rent options before applying.

Thanks

Allaboard78

Could anybody tell me if Evesham SB is located at the railway station itself please? And whether they are still on a 12 hour roster?

Just want to figure out if it is commutable for me or look at rent options before applying.

Thanks
I believe it's at the station.

LOM

It is just along from the station in the old yard. The box postcode is WR11 4RA.

Last edited:

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

Thanks

Its accessible via rhe Tesco site off Worcester Rd, about 1/4 mile Worcester side of the station.

It’s about 70 minutes via the M5 or 90 via the M50 in good traffic from Casnewydd.

89jordanbj

Its accessible via rhe Tesco site off Worcester Rd, about 1/4 mile Worcester side of the station.

It’s about 70 minutes via the M5 or 90 via the M50 in good traffic from Casnewydd.
Cheers Tom. I'm happy commuting up to 75 mins - although I'm aware that Network Rail themselves may not allow this due to fatigue?

Which if that was the case I would rent somewhere possibly between Newport and Evesham prior to a more permanent relocation.

amanda08

Two non related questions here.
How much strength is required to pull the signal levers? I’m reasonably fit but still only 5 foot 1. Should I start training in prep?
Re holidays. Are you allowed to tag holiday days on to long weekends? Or tag a few extra days on to an allocated week, to give a longer break?

Thanks

High Dyke

Established Member
Two non related questions here.
How much strength is required to pull the signal levers? I’m reasonably fit but still only 5 foot 1. Should I start training in prep?
Re holidays. Are you allowed to tag holiday days on to long weekends? Or tag a few extra days on to an allocated week, to give a longer break?

Thanks
The amount of effort to pull a signal lever varies from location to location. In a 'traditional' manual frame some levers will control colour lights so won't need much effort, but those on a wire pull will need some effort - usually the distant signals that take the most effort, being further away. Don't worry too much - there is a proper way to pull the lever without injuring yourself, and you should be trained in the correct technique.

Regarding leave. You will have four weeks leave allocated (some areas pick their own weeks), but they must conform with the national agreement (commonly known as the National Rostering Principles - NRP). These are shown below:
Code:
    4. 1    Four weeks of annual leave, on the basis of complete weeks, is to be rostered as follows :
•    one week between the first week of January and the last week of April
•    two consecutive weeks between the first week of May and the last week of September; and
•    one week between the first week of October and the last week of December.
You then also accrue lieu leave (comp leave). These are the eight statutory bank holidays. Some staff prefer to have the higher rate of pay without an extra days leave, but otherwise it's a lower rate of pay and the additional day of leave.

You may add extra leave days onto annual leave or before/after a long weekend. These leave days would be granted on a first come/first served basis and must comply with the allowed leave quota in your area.

amanda08

The amount of effort to pull a signal lever varies from location to location. In a 'traditional' manual frame some levers will control colour lights so won't need much effort, but those on a wire pull will need some effort - usually the distant signals that take the most effort, being further away. Don't worry too much - there is a proper way to pull the lever without injuring yourself, and you should be trained in the correct technique.

Regarding leave. You will have four weeks leave allocated (some areas pick their own weeks), but they must conform with the national agreement (commonly known as the National Rostering Principles - NRP). These are shown below:
Code:
    4. 1    Four weeks of annual leave, on the basis of complete weeks, is to be rostered as follows :
•    two consecutive weeks between the first week of May and the last week of September; and
You then also accrue lieu leave (comp leave). These are the eight statutory bank holidays. Some staff prefer to have the higher rate of pay without an extra days leave, but otherwise it's a lower rate of pay and the additional day of leave.

You may add extra leave days onto annual leave or before/after a long weekend. These leave days would be granted on a first come/first served basis and must comply with the allowed leave quota in your area.
Thank you so much. All sorts of random questions are popping into my head since receiving the job offer!

amanda08

Code:

The sample roster my LOM sent, is average 4.5 days per week approx. So is one week holiday based on 4.5 days? Meaning 4 weeks = 18 days - leaving 7 days ( plus days in lieu?) to be taken as and when (subject to availability)?