• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

ILoveLamp

This is the third time I’ve been a reserve candidate and it doesn’t get any easier. There is many reserves this time round though as we will all be in different locations. I guess our only hope now is something becomes available locally. Can’t see it happening soon though as this mass intake will have cleaned up most roles due to become available I guess!

When I saw the Future Opportunities roles open, and with having a few applications in around the same area-ish, I kinda thought two things (stupidly)..firstly that I had already applied for the areas near enough to work at, and secondly that it sounded like a talent pool. It seems from reading all the recent posts on here of late that I was totally wrong one the second one as it seems these have almost been the only jobs they have continued to progress with and that it would have been no harm for me to apply anyway. So a lesson learned on my part, rather irritating but hey, hindsight... I’m just hoping that the jobs that I have applied for are not back filled from this Future Opportunities campaign and my statuses all change to unsuccessful!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RashidaR

Just received my verbal offer for the NE opportunities post. Will be based at Knottingley SB.
Would just like to say a massive thank-you to everyone that has contributed to this thread, the wealth of knowledge has been invaluable!
Congratulations! Looks like we may be signal box neighbours! Im in Ferrybridge.

89jordanbj

I have had an application for future signalling opportunities at Rugby open for months now with no movement.

Would the process be similar to the NE future opportunities that have been spoken of on here over the last few days?

Mega

I say to those who didn't get an offer for the role, do not give up. Hopefully, you will be considered for the next recruitment.

Mega

Congratulations to everyone who got offers. Who else has been sent their formal offer aside Questiontime? Thanks

Can anyone offer insight as to what happens on the medical? Is it self contained on the day as such or is there a wait afterwards due to them contacting your GP. Finally how long do people normally wait after their medical date until starting on average? The medical is for a crossing keeper role...
Ps i realize its a how long is a ball of string type question...

I had a medical a few weeks back and it was very straightforward and took about an hour or so. Usual stuff - height, weight, eyesight and hearing etc plus a lifestyle questionnaire. There is also a urine test for drugs and alcohol which is sent off to a lab. I was told I passed everything at the end but had to wait until they recieved the urine test results before I got a start date - which took about 10 days.

High Dyke

Established Member
I had a medical a few weeks back and it was very straightforward and took about an hour or so. Usual stuff - height, weight, eyesight and hearing etc plus a lifestyle questionnaire. There is also a urine test for drugs and alcohol which is sent off to a lab. I was told I passed everything at the end but had to wait until they recieved the urine test results before I got a start date - which took about 10 days.
I would've expected the medical to be the same across the board. I had my most recent railway medical in February - I'm of that age where mine comes round every five years. In addition to the above mentioned items tested, there was also:

Breath test (for alcohol)
Muscle ability, involving stretching, touching your toes with arms straight, and kneeling down on the floor and getting yourself back up to a standing position without using your arms.

Kraken

I would've expected the medical to be the same across the board. I had my most recent railway medical in February - I'm of that age where mine comes round every five years. In addition to the above mentioned items tested, there was also:

Breath test (for alcohol)
Muscle ability, involving stretching, touching your toes with arms straight, and kneeling down on the floor and getting yourself back up to a standing position without using your arms.

You've got be able to touch your toes? I'd better get working on that then!

danners430

Speaking of medicals, how stringently are the BMI requirements applied? My six pack has suffered a little (OK, I never had one) during lockdown...

danners430

hopefully they aren’t too stringent, my bmi is 29, but I am not fat lol
Yeah, I'm going by the RSSB medical standards - if I recall correctly they require a BMI of 31 or less... Unfortunately I am 17kg above that for my height, and definitely fat (!), but no other health issues as far as I know

HelixUK

Yeah, I'm going by the RSSB medical standards - if I recall correctly they require a BMI of 31 or less... Unfortunately I am 17kg above that for my height, and definitely fat (!), but no other health issues as far as I know

My BMI was a massive 36 at the time of my medical! Apart from the excess pounds I was healthy, no other medical issues. Nothing was even said about my weight.

danners430

My BMI was a massive 36 at the time of my medical! Apart from the excess pounds I was healthy, no other medical issues. Nothing was even said about my weight.
That's a relief to hear! I'm "only" a BMI of 33, and am trying to reduce it (the dog's started to get tired of my s**t!), but that's at least one less thing to worry about immediately

Joe1998

Hello! I applied for a signaller role about a month back and was told I had passed the required benchmark for the tests around 2-3 weeks ago now but am yet to hear anything else. Does anyone know how long this process can take ?

89jordanbj

Hello! I applied for a signaller role about a month back and was told I had passed the required benchmark for the tests around 2-3 weeks ago now but am yet to hear anything else. Does anyone know how long this process can take ?
Which role did you apply for? 3 weeks is no time at all in all fairness, especially with the ongoing cov19 issue. It is not uncommon to go a couple of months before hearing whether you have been selected for an interview or not. Good luck with your application

Speaking of medicals, how stringently are the BMI requirements applied? My six pack has suffered a little (OK, I never had one) during lockdown...

I wasn't told my BMI but she did say that its a crude measure (which it is) and tends to apply to those who have a seditary lifestyle. They also take blood pressure which I would imagine is a better indicator of underlying health issues!

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

I don’t know why they bother to be honest, once your on the job your issued with at least 3st of body weight anyway!

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

Theres dozens of responses to this very question, simple answer as long as it takes and how long is a piece of string.
There is no timeframe unfortunately, it’s a case of waiting - a skill you’ll need to learn as a signaller.

Joe1998

Theres dozens of responses to this very question, simple answer as long as it takes and how long is a piece of string.
There is no timeframe unfortunately, it’s a case of waiting - a skill you’ll need to learn as a signaller.

Thank you for your response, I just wasn't sure as I had some problems with my application initially due to my test not submitting properly. I am quite happy to wait my time.

LOM

I don’t know why they bother to be honest, once your on the job your issued with at least 3st of body weight anyway!
Believe it or not I was the lightest I have ever been (as an adult, obviously) when I was in the grade. Up and down working the bells and frame 12hrs a day, not eating much because I did not bring much and lots of exercise on days off. Sitting behind a desk in an office all day really piles on the weight.

Last edited:

Deanr1979

Thank you for your response, I just wasn't sure as I had some problems with my application initially due to my test not submitting properly. I am quite happy to wait my time.
I’ve been waiting since January on a position in Bedlington. Still at application under consideration after passing online tests. Possibly covid holding things up but I’m not hopeful on hearing anything further from it.

amanda08

Does anyone know if it would be possible to start at York without having done a medical? My LOM has a place for me starting 27th July, but onboarding have said there are no medicals taking place. Just wandered if I am going to be in for a longer then expected wait?
Thanks

Never mind, just had an email saying medicals are starting again and my start date is good to go :D

Last edited:

89jordanbj

I have received an email update re my TVSC crossing keeper application informing me that my application is under consideration with the hiring manager for interview.

Would I be right in saying the interview process is the same as an interview for a signaller position? I.e 8 nts, safety questions etc

LOM

Does anyone know if it would be possible to start at York without having done a medical? My LOM has a place for me starting 27th July, but onboarding have said there are no medicals taking place. Just wandered if I am going to be in for a longer then expected wait?
Thanks

Never mind, just had an email saying medicals are starting again and my start date is good to go :D

From an internal news article -

Safe return of medicals

Network Rail is resuming medicals for existing and newly recruited front line critical workers from today (Thursday 11 June) with safe systems of work in place. This comes after a temporary pause due to the coronavirus pandemic. Colleagues will be contacted if they need to undergo a medical.

Keeping safe

As regular medical examinations are a critical part of ensuring front line colleagues are physically fit - either before starting their role or during their time at Network Rail - the organisation has been keen to reinstate them as soon as possible.

The Occupational Health and Wellbeing team has been working with Optima Health, Network Rail's occupational health provider, to devise a safe system of work for colleagues attending and the clinicians conducting the examinations. This includes practices such as:
  • both colleagues and clinicians will need to wear personal protective equipment (PPE);
  • screening via phone will take place 24 hours before a medical is due, and again on arrival so any coronavirus symptoms are quickly identified and arrangements can be made;
  • gaps between appointments to prevent overlapping attendees and sufficient cleaning time.
Location, location, location

The clinic locations agreed with Optima Health are as follows: Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle, York, Doncaster, Manchester, Liverpool, Derby, Birmingham, Cardiff, Bedford, Peterborough, London Kings Cross, London Victoria and Basingstoke.

Colleagues who attend medicals should avoid using public transport and make their line managers aware of how they will travel and abide by the latest Government advice.

Dr [NAME REMOVED], chief medical officer, said: "The hard work and collaboration between the Occupational Health and Wellbeing team and Optima, our service provider, means we can continue to keep colleagues safe and working in their essential front line roles. The logistics around doing this for 15 clinics have been complex, but with persistence this has been achieved."

Colleagues who need to attend medicals will be contacted by the Human Resources Shared Services (HRSS) team to book medicals over the coming weeks.

Last edited: