• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

MrsP2010

Hi,
I've had a job offer at Kirkby Thore, passed all the checks.
I've had an email saying the hiring manager has been asked to hire! However they can't give me a start date due to the limited amount of space at signalling school. How frustrating.
Is anyone else in the same boat?, I'm worried that months will pass and then the offer will disapper.
Thanks Dave
I had an interview for Dorrington SB at the beginning of March, job offer at the end of April and medical last week. No start date yet. Definitely in the same boat as you. Very frustrating isn’t it?!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I had an interview for Dorrington SB at the beginning of March, job offer at the end of April and medical last week. No start date yet. Definitely in the same boat as you. Very frustrating isn’t it?!

I have a start date for August but no course date as of yet. I think they have been prepared to take a few of us on without a course dates in the hope that if a place suddenly appears then we can start very quickly.

LOM

I have a start date for August but no course date as of yet. I think they have been prepared to take a few of us on without a course dates in the hope that if a place suddenly appears then we can start very quickly.
Those LOMs must have very laid back OMs and Finance Business Partners...

Those LOMs must have very laid back OMs and Finance Business Partners...

There are lots of vacancies where we are going so I guess they want to get us trained as soon as possible. The only reason they didn't start me earlier is because of my long notice period at my current job

SJCembre

I was under the impression there is more than 1 SHL test to complete?,In the past I’ve completed 3 and recently been invited to only complete 1 for a signallers job?

who else has experienced this recently?

TRain87

I was under the impression there is more than 1 SHL test to complete?,In the past I’ve completed 3 and recently been invited to only complete 1 for a signallers job?

who else has experienced this recently?
Maybe only 1 of yours have expired. There is still 3 to complete for all new applicants

TRain87

Good luck to all who have been successful, those who have not, keep trying.

If you only see one Red video make it this one..

Yeah...you b*$tards...look after your MOMs on track :p

Very scary video, and could not imagine what the MOM, driver of both trains or the signaller must have had going through their mind

fi23

Hey everybody :)

Thanks to you all for the fantastic information, I've read the whole thing and have a question...

I've been applying for signaller jobs, done the tests, met the benchmark and am, as are so many others, waiting now to find out if I'm through to the next stage.
After applying I've spent some time adjusting my CV and have found that I can upload the newer version to my Network Rail jobs account, which I have done. So what I'd like to know is, when the person selecting candidates for interview looks at my application, will they see the updated document or would it be the original version that i applied with initially?

Thanks!

JMH77

Thanks to you all for the fantastic information, I've read the whole thing and have a question...

I've been applying for signaller jobs, done the tests, met the benchmark and am, as are so many others, waiting now to find out if I'm through to the next stage.
After applying I've spent some time adjusting my CV and have found that I can upload the newer version to my Network Rail jobs account, which I have done. So what I'd like to know is, when the person selecting candidates for interview looks at my application, will they see the updated document or would it be the original version that i applied with initially?

Thanks!

Funnily enough I've just done the same thing and was wondering this. As it's on your general profile and not submitted as part of your application I would assume they would view the updated cv. I hope so anyway.

Chumba

Thanks!

I will give you the answer HR gave me - so if it’s wrong it’s their fault. You can change the documents but..... if they have already been reviewed and put into your application pack for assessment (which can sometimes be before the closing date) Then no the new ones won’t be seen. However, normally they aren’t reviewed and put into the application pack for assessment until After the closing date. But remember an application can be closed early before the stated closing date.

Kraken

Wow, quite the brown trousers moment there for the driver and MOM. Interesting video and really drives home the message about clear communications.

Qball

Hi does anyone know where I can find info on the Leeds sub Roc Link 2 workstations

Ardsley
York North
Leeds North West

Cheers.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

This must of been around 2006/07 ? I remember being a guard at Bletchley that night, the MOM and driver came into the BOP afterwards looking like ghosts !

I’d like to say a lot has changed since then, but we still get iff ups unfortunately.

XingClaggers

Do you know what happens if you try to attach a different document for each application, as i attach a cover letter with the job number in it?

If I apply for multiple jobs at once, but attach the cover letter appropriate for each application,I wonder which one they get?

Could make it look like in not paying attention

I will give you the answer HR gave me - so if it’s wrong it’s their fault. You can change the documents but..... if they have already been reviewed and put into your application pack for assessment (which can sometimes be before the closing date) Then no the new ones won’t be seen. However, normally they aren’t reviewed and put into the application pack for assessment until After the closing date. But remember an application can be closed early before the stated closing date.

Kraken

Do you know what happens if you try to attach a different document for each application, as i attach a cover letter with the job number in it?

If I apply for multiple jobs at once, but attach the cover letter appropriate for each application,I wonder which one they get?

Could make it look like in not paying attention

I attached a different covering letter to each application - if you go into your application details on the website afterwards you can double check which cover letter is attached to which application. As far as I’m aware the cover letters are not universal i.e. when you upload a new one for another application it doesn’t replace all the other ones. Just make sure you upload it when applying and not as a general cover letter on your account page.

olilee2

A G7 job at Upminster IECC has just been put I’m and I’m gunna apply for it, but on it it says “4% flexi” anyone know what that means?

bouff34

A G7 job at Upminster IECC has just been put I’m and I’m gunna apply for it, but on it it says “4% flexi” anyone know what that means?

You get paid 4% more on your basic.... Search "4%" within this thread and it has been answered several times as to why...

2nd role I applied for now on the "under consideration for assessment 2" status

What exactly is assessment 2?

Jaysub

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything from westbury or didcot thames valley ??

amanda08

I’ve been looking at real-time trains site, to get an idea of how busy my boxes are. How much are services still reduced due to Covid? I’d assume by the time my York training is done, things will be back to normal so I’m curious how much more frequent the trains run then is currently shown?
Thanks

Rigchick

Now I’m officially excited! Formal offer received and accepted. Medical to come and then wait for confirmed start date, but looking likely it won’t be until jan at either Preston or Manchester. It feels like it’s taken forever but finally moving on to my new career. To all those trying and waiting, don’t give up!