• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Thank you, I expected the obvious things like security, salary and terms. My wife is the same she’s always worked in male dominated environments, probably helps she was the only girl in her family so takes no prisoners!

Expectations in terms of when things go pear shaped the air turns blue. The old C bomb is often thrown about, along with the lots of Fs for good measure.

Would you expect the language to be moderated or cut out?
It’s “funny” that most of our female colleagues arrive off the street with a story. So in so said this or that etc.
Basically total rubbish made up and passed off as fact.

What new people - male and female are sold in the ads is often very different to the actual environment you’ll work in.

Im very quiet, I keep myself to myself when I arrived I had a story arrive a few weeks before me as well. Luckily when I do get to know people they realise I am actually alirght, and that I literally just keep myself fo myself and do my job.

Sorry, but I can assure you that the ladies are just as capable of throwing around plenty of f's, c's, and all the other expletives!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gallius

Thank you, I expected the obvious things like security, salary and terms. My wife is the same she’s always worked in male dominated environments, probably helps she was the only girl in her family so takes no prisoners!

Expectations in terms of when things go pear shaped the air turns blue. The old C bomb is often thrown about, along with the lots of Fs for good measure.

It’s “funny” that most of our female colleagues arrive off the street with a story. So in so said this or that etc.
Basically total rubbish made up and passed off as fact.

What new people - male and female are sold in the ads is often very different to the actual environment you’ll work in.

Im very quiet, I keep myself to myself when I arrived I had a story arrive a few weeks before me as well. Luckily when I do get to know people they realise I am actually alirght, and that I literally just keep myself fo myself and do my job.
I wouldn't be expecting language to be moderated etc. I have worked in high pressured environments previously where I have experienced this type of behaviour, particularly when things go wrong, so it won't come as a shock to me.

What do you mean by "I had a story arrive a few weeks before me"?

I suppose all you can do is research as much as possible beforehand, ask the right questions, and hope that the people you speak to are honest about the job and their experiences. I was able to visit my location after I was offered my job and spent a good few hours chatting to some of my future colleagues and seeing what they get up to on the job. I suppose that's as much of an insight as you're going to get until you actually start the job yourself.

I suspect NR marketing is having an impact on the number of women applying for the role. I've seen a few female Signaller case studies online now which may well be opening the eyes of women to the opportunities available to them.

I don’t want to start an off topic discussion here, but why do new people have to be women to be offended or against foul language in their new workplace? When I’m meeting new people I would hope and expect they moderate themselves until they know where the line is, in the same way I do with them. It’s common courtesy and manners, isn’t it?

Rockhopper

That’s not been my experience within the construction industry certainly (including professionals). Many people use swear words as part of everyday conversation without giving it a second thought.

No, nor mine in my previous industry, and in the most part I am a part of it and not bothered up to a point - but that wasn’t my point really (and why I didn’t want to start this conversation on a busy Saturday, and unrelated to this discussion I won’t be replying for a while as I’m out!).
My point is that being a woman shouldn’t in any way be related to the language used when someone is in a new place of work. As a grade we should be welcoming and accepting of all races, religions and genders, and refrain from offensiveness.

High Dyke

Established Member
Check your email again. They sent out a bunch of these. I had one even though I have been given and interview date. The silver email was swiftly followed by another recalling the first and then a 3rd apologising that the 1st had been sent in error and reconfirming my interview, so definitely check your email again as you may have another !!
God bless HR. They never cease to amaze you.

Amanda

Sorry, but I can assure you that the ladies are just as capable of throwing around plenty of f's, c's, and all the other expletives!

Totally agree. I'm more than capable of swearing, and do so in the workplace quite often. I work in an office. This idea of having to "moderate" your language because women are present is spectacularly outdated. Also I have worked in women-only environments where the language is faaaar worse than anything I've heard in a male-dominated environment. We're not all sweet pious delicate flowers you know.

As to what attracted me to the role.... I would like to work in the rail industry, I would like to use my brain a bit but also do something that isn't just shuffling papers round a desk. To be honest I'm interested in logistics and infrastructure and just want to be a part of that. (I work in export at the moment and enjoy it.) I went through train driver recruitment and got all the way through the very last stage but had 2 fails so that is out of the question now. I'm pretty sure none of these reasons has anything to do with my gender but I can't possibly say as I've never been a bloke.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
It seems being a gentleman, as in i wouldn’t swear in front of a lady, hold the door etc is outdated?
I’m sure there are women who could make any man blush, we’ve a few already!

BigRob21

Just after some advice, one of the roles I applied for has changed slightly. It was OB WMSC South LOM (104310) G2, but is now OZ WMSC South LOM (104310) G2. Can anyone tell me what OB and OZ mean please? Thanks in advance :)

:lol:

It seems being a gentleman, as in i wouldn’t swear in front of a lady, hold the door etc is outdated?

Ah well the holding open of doors for women falls under the category of benevolent sexism! I had a whole afternoon on this subject as a part of a course I was on. You can only imagine how thrilling it was.

Anyway I digress... I think many people modify their behaviour when a new person starts in a workplace so that they can judge what their boundaries are

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Like I’ve said further up thread, I keep my mouth shut and head down.

Work is a means to further my life, not an extension of my social circle.

If others want to use potentially offensive language, or make potentially offensive comments that up to them, I won’t be the one who in a Form 1 meeting.

Anyway, to ALL the new guys a warm welcome to what is the best job in the risk industry.

Amanda

To be honest I think that is a whole other conversation for another thread. It's nice if a bloke holds a door open for me but... I'll also hold a door open for a bloke. There's a whole divide in society on it and people will just disagree on it. My opinion is... people should just be courteous to each other, regardless of gender. Be good to each other.

Also there was one spectacular occasion when the very gentlemanly guy who held the door open for me at the cinema turned out to be the town psycho who ended up being turfed out by a whole team of security guards. :lol:

High Dyke

Established Member
Reminds of a story a few years ago. I was visited in the box by a WPC from the BTP. It was market day at the location concerned, and just across from the box was a flea-market. So, there's me minding my Ps & Qs, whilst in company; at which the young officer looks out the window watching two chaps wheeling away a rusty lawnmower. "Blimey", she exclaims, " some people will buy any old s***.

Rover77

Well done and congratulations to all those who are being offered roles or at least getting to interview stage. I'm gutted that today I recieved my rejection letter before interview stage. I will just have to work on my CV and 69 answers. I am currently head of year in a large high school and before this worked as a prison officer for 13 years. I believed I had the right background and experience to at least get to interview stage. I am obviously missing something. Back to the drawing board and fingers crossed for more vacancies in the north west. Unfortunately they appear to be few and far between.

SiggysigAah

Well done and congratulations to all those who are being offered roles or at least getting to interview stage. I'm gutted that today I recieved my rejection letter before interview stage. I will just have to work on my CV and 69 answers. I am currently head of year in a large high school and before this worked as a prison officer for 13 years. I believed I had the right background and experience to at least get to interview stage. I am obviously missing something. Back to the drawing board and fingers crossed for more vacancies in the north west. Unfortunately they appear to be few and far between.
I expect the vacancy you refer to had internal applicants. G3 relief? Fingers crossed for the next one.

Rover77

I expect the vacancy you refer to had internal applicants. G3 relief? Fingers crossed for the next one.
Thanks. Yes it was the G3 relief. I have another one in but the travelling distance in 68 mins. Would this be acceptable to a hiring manager or be considered too far?

Rover77

I don’t know how strictly the 60 min max commute time is applied.
It is a bit of a worry. I look everyday for vacancies near me but they appear very rare. I have my fingers crossed that the G3 relief role goes to an internal candidate and in turn creates another opening. The old football saying rings true in this case for me. "It is the hope that kills you." Lol

89jordanbj

Could anybody tell me much about Aberthaw signal box if possible? I.e roster, whether its manned on a Sunday etc.

I am currently at York IST and on a 12 month FTC paper based at Cardiff roc and Aberthaw permanent position has gone on external list.

Cheers