• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

89jordanbj

Is there any way for employees to check the internal jobs list and apply from home?

I need to be applying for roles as I am on a FTC but not had the chance to access computers at IST.

Cheers

7Paul7

Is there any way for employees to check the internal jobs list and apply from home?

I need to be applying for roles as I am on a FTC but not had the chance to access computers at IST.

Cheers
I've sent you the link, if it doesn't work, next time you login from school copy the web address and email it to yourself

High Dyke

Established Member
Don't know when you were under training but that certainly wasn't the case when I started 10 years ago.
I did mine about twenty years ago. It shows how it changes. I've got a trainee with me next week. Apparently they have a week out again, but it wasn't the case a year or so ago.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
One week in school, then a week out, then back to do the remainder it seems.

I didn’t do that even three years ago.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I think it is to do with it being bank holiday. They don't run the school on a bank holiday week. Not sure why to be honest.

That might well explain it then, seems strange to knock a whole week off though - well not knock it off, but push back.

Pancakes84

Hi RedMum, I also have my video interview on Thursday so good luck to you.
I managed to just finish the psychometric test with around 4 seconds remaining but like you the last 3 or 4 were rushed and just took a best guess. I agree the Scenario test was much more enjoyable and I felt I did the best I could.
Regarding the emailing of ID, recruitment originally gave an incorrect email address so I‘m sure that they will take that into consideration and not knock you back for that.
I’m hoping the people who have interviews towards the end of Sept have chosen the more easterly locations, Market Rasen etc. and us Derby region folk will find out sooner rather than later whether we are successful.

Good luck for your interview!! Mine is the end of September and is for the more eastern areas so maybe they have split it like this.
Was the scenario interview better than you were expecting? I’m worrying about it and feel like I should be preparing, but guessing you can’t really ‍

jossh78

Good luck for your interview!! Mine is the end of September and is for the more eastern areas so maybe they have split it like this.
Was the scenario interview better than you were expecting? I’m worrying about it and feel like I should be preparing, but guessing you can’t really ‍
Thanks Pancakes, busy thinking about the best examples I have for the NTS questions and trying to remain calm...easier said than done !
The scenario test wasn’t too bad actually, once I was into the first scenario I relaxed and by the end end of the test felt I had done my best. Not something you can really prepare for, listen, focus and use your best judgement of each scenario and you’ll be fine. Good Luck.

Macca89

I’d try not to worry about it too much mate.

It’s not a scenario where they are trying to catch you out etc they simply want to see how your thinking process works when presented with a situation.

I’ve had one before years ago when I had an interview to get a job working for Western Power Distribution. I was given a situation and asked what I would do if “this happened”...”how would I react”... ”what actions I would take”...”who would you contact”....

I’m assuming it’s a similar sort of thing

They will give you all the info you need about the situation in order to be able to answer to the best of your ability.

You just need to listen to the details, take your time to think, and then calmly answer.

If it is nothing like what I have described then please do correct me but that’s just my take on it from from previous scenario interviews elsewhere

Last edited:

TLM

Hello noob here only just found this after taking my Eastern Region future opps deductive and scenario tests. Less said about them the better :oops: just a question about if by some miracle I fluke and get in and then get to training school, I read up thread that some don't pass the school training. Then what happens? You've applied to be a signaller and don't pass the exams are you off searching for a new job? sorry if it's already been answered. Great informative thread btw, thanks.

Macca89

Hello noob here only just found this after taking my Eastern Region future opps deductive and scenario tests. Less said about them the better :oops: just a question about if by some miracle I fluke and get in and then get to training school, I read up thread that some don't pass the school training. Then what happens? You've applied to be a signaller and don't pass the exams are you off searching for a new job? sorry if it's already been answered. Great informative thread btw, thanks.

From what I’ve read on here, providing you’ve gone with the right attitude and have clearly shown you’ve tried, your LOM will book you onto another training course if you fall short of the mark.

Some that have failed have probably decided that actually....this isn’t for them, after all it sounds like a very full on course with ALOT to learn and take onboard, for some this might be a realisation that this isn’t for them.

Pancakes84

Thanks Pancakes, busy thinking about the best examples I have for the NTS questions and trying to remain calm...easier said than done !
The scenario test wasn’t too bad actually, once I was into the first scenario I relaxed and by the end end of the test felt I had done my best. Not something you can really prepare for, listen, focus and use your best judgement of each scenario and you’ll be fine. Good Luck.

aww thanks for that! I’m trying to remain calm and also think of some good answers for the NTS questions.
hopefully they’re hiring a large group of people and we’ll all be at training together :)

I’d try not to worry about it too much mate.

It’s not a scenario where they are trying to catch you out etc they simply want to see how your thinking process works when presented with a situation.

I’ve had one before years ago when I had an interview to get a job working for Western Power Distribution. I was given a situation and asked what I would do if “this happened”...”how would I react”... ”what actions I would take”...”who would you contact”....

I’m assuming it’s a similar sort of thing

They will give you all the info you need about the situation in order to be able to answer to the best of your ability.

You just need to listen to the details, take your time to think, and then calmly answer.

If it is nothing like what I have described then please do correct me but that’s just my take on it from from previous scenario interviews elsewhere

Yeah that’s true, we always worry for interviews but like you said they aren’t trying to catch you out and just want to see how you work it out.
I think you’re right, I’m guessing they want to see that we’d know the kind of actions we’d take if something went wrong for example.
Fingers crossed it all goes okay

TLM

From what I’ve read on here, providing you’ve gone with the right attitude and have clearly shown you’ve tried, your LOM will book you onto another training course if you fall short of the mark.

Some that have failed have probably decided that actually....this isn’t for them, after all it sounds like a very full on course with ALOT to learn and take onboard, for some this might be a realisation that this isn’t for them.

Ok thanks. Hmm but if you have the right attitude and still fail I suppose it's the door for you. Interesting, I was thinking (stupidly) perhaps you might be offered another opportunity somewhere else. And looking for another job in todays market, well, good luck. Have interview soon and am quite chilled about it, read up here on various points and think that holds me in good stead, and because I've done so awfully in the two tests it has probably released a wee bit of pressure. Have also tried to get in as an operative for a while to no avail, but I digress, cheers and thanks for the reply.

RedMum77

I actually really enjoyed the scenario video interview. I didnt have the greatest start with being stressed. I had shut everyone out of the room but then daughter started pratting about with the dog and trapped his paw in a door, staff wanting me in the bar despite me telling them i was incommunicado for a bit lol, but knew I wouldn't get chance to do it yesterday so just had to plough on.

Once started I relaxed into it and my thought processes actually skipped ahead at one point to what I thought was going to be asked, only to be covered and the question extend a little further so I guess in was on the right track in my thought processes.

It's assessing how you process info and come to decisions and you have to explain that, so if you are quite a logical thinker then you will enjoy it

Pancakes84

I actually really enjoyed the scenario video interview. I didnt have the greatest start with being stressed. I had shut everyone out of the room but then daughter started pratting about with the dog and trapped his paw in a door, staff wanting me in the bar despite me telling them i was incommunicado for a bit lol, but knew I wouldn't get chance to do it yesterday so just had to plough on.

Once started I relaxed into it and my thought processes actually skipped ahead at one point to what I thought was going to be asked, only to be covered and the question extend a little further so I guess in was on the right track in my thought processes.

It's assessing how you process info and come to decisions and you have to explain that, so if you are quite a logical thinker then you will enjoy it

haha, bless you! You can definitely use that as a multi-asking answer then haha :)
Glad you enjoyed it!
aww thanks, definitely settled my mind then.
Good luck with your interview :)

RedMum77

haha, bless you! You can definitely use that as a multi-asking answer then haha :)
Glad you enjoyed it!
aww thanks, definitely settled my mind then.
Good luck with your interview :)

Yeah I had no idea what to expect but it flowed really well. It was all very clear instruction wise, to the point where the instructions seemed to be repeated too many times if I am honest and it did get tedious lol. Have pen and paper next to you and jot down your thoughts when preparing your answer.
Good luck!

MrsP2010

I’ve only known that I’m going on IST next Monday for a week or so. I haven’t had any accommodation details yet. Does anyone know where you stay when you’re training at Westwood in Coventry? I know there are rooms at the training centre but I don’t know whether they are for us. Also what is the day like? Start and finish times, etc? It’s all getting a little real now and I can’t wait to get going! Thanks a lot for any info

9tfrizzco

I'm also starting at westwood next monday. Have you not had correspondence yet regarding accommodation? I am booked in to stay at the training centre for the first four weeks, but then a hotel after that.

MrsP2010

I'm also starting at westwood next monday. Have you not had correspondence yet regarding accommodation? I am booked in to stay at the training centre for the first four weeks, but then a hotel after that.
No I’ve not had it yet but my LOM was on leave last week. I’m hoping to hear tomorrow. Did you choose to go to a hotel or were you given it?

Qball

I’ve only known that I’m going on IST next Monday for a week or so. I haven’t had any accommodation details yet. Does anyone know where you stay when you’re training at Westwood in Coventry? I know there are rooms at the training centre but I don’t know whether they are for us. Also what is the day like? Start and finish times, etc? It’s all getting a little real now and I can’t wait to get going! Thanks a lot for any info
Should be at Westwood training centre. Normally 9am - 3pm but you have sim sessions in the evenings and Fridays they normally let you got 12pm. Use your evenings to recap what you've learnt that day.

TC1

Re East Mids futures:

1. I've sent off my I.D to the (amended) recruitment email address but received no acknowledgement - is this normal?

2. I am yet to receive invites to the scenario-based test or the reasoning test, and yet reading this thread it seems like everyone has been flying through them. Is it just a waiting game?

On the careers portal, the last update from 24 August says "Assessment 2 Scheduled", but it's radio silence from NR.

My interview is 17 Sept, so perhaps I am part of a later batch?

Funnily enough, I did complete some aptitude tests exactly one year ago (01/09/2019 and 02/09/2019) but I can't recall their purpose. The name "SHL" does ring a bell, and I seem to recall some numerical and literacy tests, but that seems a far cry from scenario-based and inductive/deductive reasoning.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Ryde St Johns Rd SB signals the whole line I believe, not sure if their employed by South Western Railway or Network Rail.