• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

jossh78

I got told the 15th or around there but had an email saying the 30th. As with everyone else it's wait and see, not that confident that doing well in interview will be enough, I suppose back in the day it would've been, but hey ho. GL!
Yep, we will just have to wait and see, fingers crossed for us all on here.

I'm going with the 30th. Have other irons in the fire as waiting on a some what coin flip of a result may not be best. Good luck!
Other irons in the fire with NR or completely other types of irons ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TLM

Yep, we will just have to wait and see, fingers crossed for us all on here.

Other irons in the fire with NR or completely other types of irons ?

Out of work so have to, would love NR but have to look before the big Unemployment surge in October. If I fail this I'm willing to apply again in future as probably one of the last decent companies to work for in the UK.

Cumbo92

First day with Network Rail tomorrow, then signalling school on the 14th! Extremely nervous and extremely excited! Anyone know what to expect when meeting LOM that first day and first week? I know it’s like induction and picking up rule books!

ChrisRS

First day with Network Rail tomorrow, then signalling school on the 14th! Extremely nervous and extremely excited! Anyone know what to expect when meeting LOM that first day and first week? I know it’s like induction and picking up rule books!
Meet LOM collect rule books, sign some paperwork if required and check hotel bookings/signal school dates make sure everything is in order.

Generally you'll get sent to a signal box until your start date, get an idea of how things work.

Cumbo92

Meet LOM collect rule books, sign some paperwork if required and check hotel bookings/signal school dates make sure everything is in order.

Generally you'll get sent to a signal box until your start date, get an idea of how things work.
Thank You! Yeah good stuff then thank you for your reply! I know dates and stuff just yeah don’t know things like hotel and things!

LokiB

Just had the dreaded "Application unsuccessful" without getting an interview. A bit gutted but I knew I'd underperformed on the tests so wasn't expecting to get any further tbh.
Will keep trying and learn from this knockback though.

pocketjacks

Also just been told that I was unsuccessful. What a let down. I’ll try again if anymore signals jobs come up in my area but it seems so rare

HaylStonee

Hello everyone.
I’ve been reading the forum for a while now and I’ve found some great information on here! So thank you so much!
I know this must have been answered already but the thread is so long I’m struggling to find any info. But I’ve submitted my application form on the weekend and I’ve logged into my account this morning and it says that I’ve been ‘invited to test’.
What does this test consist of? Can anyone shed some light on this so I can prepare for it?
Any help is appreciated! Many thanks

BigRob21

Well that's the medical done and out the way with..... Now just need to wait a few days for the results of the drugs test! (although I have never touched drugs, you still cant help but think what if it comes back positive, ha ha)

Boobah086

Hello everyone.
I’ve been reading the forum for a while now and I’ve found some great information on here! So thank you so much!
I know this must have been answered already but the thread is so long I’m struggling to find any info. But I’ve submitted my application form on the weekend and I’ve logged into my account this morning and it says that I’ve been ‘invited to test’.
What does this test consist of? Can anyone shed some light on this so I can prepare for it?
Any help is appreciated! Many thanks

They are numerical reasoning, verbal reasoning and a situational judgement test.

The link they provide you has practise tests and if you use the search function on the forum, you’ll find plenty more info.

Good Luck!

Bunnymomma

Just to add to that - the pension forms need printing and posting, so it would be useful to have access to a printer. I actually asked if I could email it and they said no. Also for the DBS check, which you do via a website, you need to have the exact same ID to hand that you used during the interview/assessment process (for me it was driving license and passport).
Thanks for this! :)

Thebullet

For relief roles it's my understanding that you will find out your turns for the following week on a Thursday.
Do you know your rest days and work days in advance but not the timings and if so how far in advance or is that depending on area/roster clerk?

Saracen_83

You kno your base roster (days you are booked to work) in advance, then at midday Thursday, the roster for the following week becomes binding so will kno exactly what times your working.
Some roster clerks send out a provisional roster 2-3 weeks in advance so you can plan ahead, but this is only provisional n open to change.

Rigchick

Hello,

Sorry, maybe I should have explained a bit more :)
I've had one e-mail, the first e-mail asking for employment/education history (think its called a 'capture'. Im aware they will be sending more: the formal offer pack, basic disclosure, a tax contribution form, and a contact from medical.
I only had two days to sign the pre offer employment capture, so want to double check in advance what I may need for the next emails as I'll be away from home whilst filling them out.
Thanks in advance :)
Hi Bunnymomma, I’m just guessing here, but if you’re female and married, I also had to send a copy of my marriage certificate to show my change of name

Thebullet

You kno your base roster (days you are booked to work) in advance, then at midday Thursday, the roster for the following week becomes binding so will kno exactly what times your working.
Some roster clerks send out a provisional roster 2-3 weeks in advance so you can plan ahead, but this is only provisional n open to change.
Thanks

olilee2

I had an email from my LOM about ‘displacement’ as my job will move from Feltham to Basingstoke ROC at some point and said that I had a meeting to discuss it on the 3rd November. Now I haven’t had my medical or got a start date yet, but would it be likely that I’ll have started by then given that that’s when they’ve planned the meeting for?

danners430

Hi Bunnymomma, I’m just guessing here, but if you’re female and married, I also had to send a copy of my marriage certificate to show my change of name
I might say that presumably also applies to those of the male sex who have changed their names upon marriage... I know of a few people :)

BigRob21

Can somebody tell me, whilst at signal school, are the hotel rooms shared with other trainees or are they single man/woman rooms? I know it's a random question but just trying to find out in advance. Thanks :)

Qball

Can somebody tell me, whilst at signal school, are the hotel rooms shared with other trainees or are they single man/woman rooms? I know it's a random question but just trying to find out in advance. Thanks :)
1 room per trainee

RedMum77

Just had the unsuccesful email for Derby x 3 without an interview. I am keeping my fingers crossed it is because they can see that I am going to get a Futures role after interviewing for that :D

Skids

I had an email from my LOM about ‘displacement’ as my job will move from Feltham to Basingstoke ROC at some point and said that I had a meeting to discuss it on the 3rd November. Now I haven’t had my medical or got a start date yet, but would it be likely that I’ll have started by then given that that’s when they’ve planned the meeting for?

I’ve got my displacement meeting on the 17th Sept. But don’t start with NR till the 24th Sept!!

bouff34

I’ve got my displacement meeting on the 17th Sept. But don’t start with NR till the 24th Sept!!

It might be beneficial to join the union and ask for representation at the meeting... otherwise you may have no idea (as someone who hasn't even started) as to what your rights are and might come out of it less favourably...???

Skids

It might be beneficial to join the union and ask for representation at the meeting... otherwise you may have no idea (as someone who hasn't even started) as to what your rights are and might come out of it less favourably...???
Thanks for the advice. Appreciated. Just applied online for RMT.

There should be a union rep there with your LOM at the interview. I have mine at Feltham on Saturday so I'll let you know!

bouff34

Quick question for those that have been in for far longer than me....

I am working 8hr late shifts (14x22) and have been asked to work my first (and only) rest day as an early turn... in order to allow me sufficient rest I have been put onto a 14x18 shift for the last late turn.... should I still get paid for a full 8hr shift for this???