• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

craig1992

Yeah very good just been in and around the panel I’ve been working and doing some e-learning. Lots of good people lots of good advice too. Panel looks interesting can’t wait too get back after IST! Yeah be here before you know it! Can’t believe how quick this has come around! X
That sounds great! So excited to get started now, finish my current job in 2 weeks so things are starting to get real. Out of curiosity what hotel have they put you in during training?

SWTurbo

Relief at the mighty mere cover Farncombe and Petersfield boxes as well.
Rad boxes, rad people.
Sounds like a great box! The PDL isn't my neck of the woods (unelectrified SWR is more my area of expertise ;)) but I'll definitely be applying for both roles! What are the rosters/shifts like for you guys?

Cumbo92

That sounds great! So excited to get started now, finish my current job in 2 weeks so things are starting to get real. Out of curiosity what hotel have they put you in during training?
We are in the Park Inn hotel in York, have you been told you’re going to York signalling school! I bet !!

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Sounds like a great box! The PDL isn't my neck of the woods (unelectrified SWR is more my area of expertise ;)) but I'll definitely be applying for both roles! What are the rosters/shifts like for you guys?
8 hour roster with 12 hour Sundays. Nights/long weekend every 4 weeks for static. Reliefs are GPR so anything goes shift wise (quite a few nights more often than not), but they do have set days.
The Direct, it has to be said, is mercifully free of the skullduggery and intrigue many boxes on the unelectrified parts of the SWR network have to endure.

Shedboy1995

Due to start a 3-year apprenticeship at the end of October. Got a few questions regarding the apprenticeship.

Are you guaranteed a job within your area at the end of the 3 years?

What are the hours like on the apprenticeship? Are you doing shifts or is it Monday-Friday 9-5?

What do the shift patterns tend to be in Scotland? 8hrs or 12?

Obviously the starting salary on the apprenticeship is on the low side, what sort of salary can I expect once I’m time served?

Thanks

Trackboy

I am in dilemma hope someone can answer this for me. I am an internal candiate, already a signaller.

I have interview coming up for Grade 7 in 2 day and interview for Grade 9 in 2 weeks. Say if I pass interview for Grade 7 and accept the job offer would my application be withdrawn from Grade 9? Will I not get chance to interview for Grade 9 aswell and obviously if I pass the interview for Grade 9 I will choose the higher grade. Hope I have made myself clear.

Thanks in advance.

Any one?? I had interview today For Grade 7 and passed my interview i was shocked to hear so soon just after few hours. I have accepted the job. I have interview coming up for G9 hoping I pass that aswell, I would like to go for G9 job. Will I be able to do that straight forward without upsetting anyone?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I thought we had already answered?

Yes you’ll be able to undertake the interview, will you upset anyone if you pass and dump the first offer? Probably, but they’ll get over it - just remember LOMs have long memories.

LincsBobby

I believe the COVID situation was the main contributor as it all kicked off just after my medical. Class sizes were cut in half and the courses were to be run locally. There were a number of trainees waiting for the course in the same area so places had to be prioritised. Some trainees at my location started the course in July and I'm on the course immediately after them. It's been a long wait but I'm just grateful to be starting at all
I was 4 months before my start date and that was before all this covid19 business. It's just how long it takes due to limited class places at signalling school etc. It's a long process.

Gallius

I was 4 months before my start date and that was before all this covid19 business. It's just how long it takes due to limited class places at signalling school etc. It's a long process.
Yes I was anticipating it being a long process when I first applied. I was told at my assessment day that if I was successful I'd be going to signalling school in May/June which would have been 3-4 months after offer, however I'm now starting school in October. It seems to be a postcode lottery in terms of how quickly you can access signalling school, particularly with the introduction of local training.

SWTurbo

8 hour roster with 12 hour Sundays. Nights/long weekend every 4 weeks for static. Reliefs are GPR so anything goes shift wise (quite a few nights more often than not), but they do have set days.
The Direct, it has to be said, is mercifully free of the skullduggery and intrigue many boxes on the unelectrified parts of the SWR network have to endure.
Thanks for the info! Yeah the WEML after Salisbury is a familiar area for me, many a trip included time sat in the Tisbury passing loop!

Me again! Sorry to be a pain but the current opening advertised at the Basingstoke ROC, does anyone know which areas/panels that is covering? (Grade 5 if that helps!)

Last edited:

cpn

I'll definitely be applying for both roles! What are the rosters/shifts like for you guys?

Hi @SWTurbo! Looks like @godfreycomplex has got you covered, but just for completeness (and for future thread-searchers)...

- Haslemere = 3 platforms + a small siding, a bit of regulating, 7tph (6 through + 1 terminator), lever frame, pictures at www.railwayworld.net/2018/09/10/a-look-at-haslemeres-listed-signal-box/
- Farncombe = plain track, 3 crossings (1 MCB, 1 CCTV, 1 AHB), 8tph, individual function switches
- Petersfield = plain track + a trailing crossover (not in the current WTT), 6 crossings (1 MCB, 1 CCTV, 4 AHB), 6tph, individual function switches (+ 3 levers for the crossover); a boundary quirk means that the resident signallers come under a different LOM (Havant)
- All 3 operate MAS by TCB with train describers, plus emergency alarms to Guildford (at Farncombe) and Havant (at Petersfield) and emergency block bells between themselves
- No freight on the route, so night turns are quiet
- It's an 8hr roster (locally agreed handovers are at 0630, 1300, 2030) with 12hr Sundays (0630, 1830)
- The relief is GPR, so very little pattern to the shifts (especially with the ongoing vacancies!), but the Guildford LOM (actually based in Woking) and the roster clerk are both outstanding, so you won't feel unsupported
- The salary, as you say, is G3 +18%
- SWR kindly extend their free travel staff passes to NR staff in the Wessex region, which is a nice local perk that most signallers around the country don't formally get
- All 3 boxes are scheduled to close in December 2023 and transfer to Basingstoke ROC (but - as with all plans on the railway - both the date and the new location are very subject to change)

I'm not there yet, incidentally - I've just finished week 3 of 10 at sig school in Basingstoke (with @MostlyHarmless), so will hopefully be training in the boxes themselves from November, all being well.

Best of luck with your applications!
cpn

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Thanks for the info! Yeah the WEML after Salisbury is a familiar area for me, many a trip included time sat in the Tisbury passing loop!

Me again! Sorry to be a pain but the current opening advertised at the Basingstoke ROC, does anyone know which areas/panels that is covering? (Grade 5 if that helps!)
Two grade 5 panels at Basingstoke ASC (at the station, no signalling in the ROC yet)
Dorset Coast covers Parkstone - Moreton
West of England covers Hunts Path (between Tisbury and Gillingham) - Whimple

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Due to start a 3-year apprenticeship at the end of October. Got a few questions regarding the apprenticeship.

What are the hours like on the apprenticeship? Are you doing shifts or is it Monday-Friday 9-5?

Obviously the starting salary on the apprenticeship is on the low side, what sort of salary can I expect once I’m time served?

Thanks

Can you confirm whether this is for a signaller's position?

SWTurbo

Hi @SWTurbo! Looks like @godfreycomplex has got you covered, but just for completeness (and for future thread-searchers)...

- Haslemere = 3 platforms + a small siding, a bit of regulating, 7tph (6 through + 1 terminator), lever frame, pictures at www.railwayworld.net/2018/09/10/a-look-at-haslemeres-listed-signal-box/
- Farncombe = plain track, 3 crossings (1 MCB, 1 CCTV, 1 AHB), 8tph, individual function switches
- Petersfield = plain track + a trailing crossover (not in the current WTT), 6 crossings (1 MCB, 1 CCTV, 4 AHB), 6tph, individual function switches (+ 3 levers for the crossover); a boundary quirk means that the resident signallers come under a different LOM (Havant)
- All 3 operate MAS by TCB with train describers, plus emergency alarms to Guildford (at Farncombe) and Havant (at Petersfield) and emergency block bells between themselves
- No freight on the route, so night turns are quiet
- It's an 8hr roster (locally agreed handovers are at 0630, 1300, 2030) with 12hr Sundays (0630, 1830)
- The relief is GPR, so very little pattern to the shifts (especially with the ongoing vacancies!), but the Guildford LOM (actually based in Woking) and the roster clerk are both outstanding, so you won't feel unsupported
- The salary, as you say, is G3 +18%
- SWR kindly extend their free travel staff passes to NR staff in the Wessex region, which is a nice local perk that most signallers around the country don't formally get
- All 3 boxes are scheduled to close in December 2023 and transfer to Basingstoke ROC (but - as with all plans on the railway - both the date and the new location are very subject to change)

I'm not there yet, incidentally - I've just finished week 3 of 10 at sig school in Basingstoke (with @MostlyHarmless), so will hopefully be training in the boxes themselves from November, all being well.

Best of luck with your applications!
cpn
@cpn Thank you so much for the detailed reply! Just a few questions if you dont mind!
  • I understand the concept of TCB, but what is MAS?
  • Having read the railway world accompanying text, I understand the emergency block bells (Apparently the electronics don't like heat!) but in what case would the alarms be used?
Many thanks, and apologies for any thick questions!
Best of luck at school, keep us updated!

godfreycomplex

Established Member
@cpn Thank you so much for the detailed reply! Just a few questions if you dont mind!
  • I understand the concept of TCB, but what is MAS?
  • Having read the railway world accompanying text, I understand the emergency block bells (Apparently the electronics don't like heat!) but in what case would the alarms be used?
Many thanks, and apologies for any thick questions!
Best of luck at school, keep us updated!
MAS - Multi Aspect Signalling (colour lights, that is to say).
Emergency alarms are used as just that, to signal to an adjoining signal box that the line needs to be urgently blocked over the shared section.
Block bells, on the other hand, even in TCB areas, have a multitude of uses, usually in cases of equipment failure (track circuit issues chiefly)

Llanigraham

On Moderation

Thanks
It is yeah.

Thanks, wasn't sure.
Can't say about the guarantee, but after finishing at Signalling School I would expect you to be working a roughly normal shift pattern with the other signallers.
Normally you get the salary of the grade below the one you were taken on for until you are signed competent to that Box/panel.

Rockhopper

I'm fairly sure that way back in this huge thread someone said you'll be working 9-5 ish until you've been signed off.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I'm fairly sure that way back in this huge thread someone said you'll be working 9-5 ish until you've been signed off.

Usually 8hrs turns over 5 days, 0800-1600 Monday to Friday. You can ask to do a variety of 8hrs to suit your training needs.

You’ll also be booked off on Bank Holidays so will build up Comp Leave days if you go for lower rate of pay.

Saracen_83

Usually 8hrs turns over 5 days, 0800-1600 Monday to Friday. You can ask to do a variety of 8hrs to suit your training needs.

You’ll also be booked off on Bank Holidays so will build up Comp Leave days if you go for lower rate of pay.

Definitely box dependant as at my place they work their shift pattern and train on them days!

which I would’ve preferred rather than training on 8 hour shifts!

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
If you're booked off, you don't get any enhancements or comp lieu days.

Do you not? Oh well there we go.

If you’ve any sense you’ll try and get a 12hr training roster, especially if you got any travelling to do to and from work.

bouff34

Definitely box dependant as at my place they work their shift pattern and train on them days!

which I would’ve preferred rather than training on 8 hour shifts!

Yep, you need to see all parts of the timetable really. Where I am there are early morning and late evening shunts. Not much point doing all your training 9 to 5, passing out and then not knowing what is required at start and end of service. I was given the freedom to pick and choose the areas/times I thought I needed more development on. Not much point doing a night shift if you have nothing to do after say 0100 so you might instead work across two shifts to get relevant experience i.e. 1700x0100.

Also you may find there are certain residents or reliefs that you prefer being trained by (or perhaps prefer not being trained by!!!).

Do you not? Oh well there we go.

If you’ve any sense you’ll try and get a 12hr training roster, especially if you got any travelling to do to and from work.
Not sure 12 hrs training is so great when you are new?

Most may struggle to concentrate for that long and actually stop taking stuff in??? On 8 hrs rosters my LOM was happy for me to come in for a few hours at the start and go when I felt I'd had enough - so maybe just do 4hrs to begin with (obviously not all LOM's may subscribe to that viewpoint!). You might get the odd few trainees that will take the piss but most are keen to pass out so will put sensible hours without ending up so tired that they lose concentration.

Rover77

I'd be very grateful if LOM or any others in the know can shed any light on this. My status has changed from test completed to application under review. My understanding is that means I am not one of the top 6 candidates chosen for interview. Does this mean I am unlikely to get an interview or can the hiring manager pick who they like? And how likely is this(I know, this is a how long is a piece of string question) Thanks

bouff34

I'd be very grateful if LOM or any others in the know can shed any light on this. My status has changed from test completed to application under review. My understanding is that means I am not one of the top 6 candidates chosen for interview. Does this mean I am unlikely to get an interview or can the hiring manager pick who they like? And how likely is this(I know, this is a how long is a piece of string question) Thanks
It means wait and be patient, don't read anything else into it.