• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Yep, you need to see all parts of the timetable really. Where I am there are early morning and late evening shunts. Not much point doing all your training 9 to 5, passing out and then not knowing what is required at start and end of service. I was given the freedom to pick and choose the areas/times I thought I needed more development on. Not much point doing a night shift if you have nothing to do after say 0100 so you might instead work across two shifts to get relevant experience i.e. 1700x0100.

Also you may find there are certain residents or reliefs that you prefer being trained by (or perhaps prefer not being trained by!!!).

Not sure 12 hrs training is so great when you are new?

Most may struggle to concentrate for that long and actually stop taking stuff in??? On 8 hrs rosters my LOM was happy for me to come in for a few hours at the start and go when I felt I'd had enough - so maybe just do 4hrs to begin with (obviously not all LOM's may subscribe to that viewpoint!). You might get the odd few trainees that will take the piss but most are keen to pass out so will put sensible hours without ending up so tired that they lose concentration.

I agree, a 12hr turn is automatically knocked down to 10hrs after you take out your breaks. With the “training” aspect of the turn taking into account your 10hrs then becomes about 8hrs (I’m sure you know what I mean...).

You’ll at some point go from 8hrs to 12hrs why not start off on it and get used to it?

Defenestrate

Two grade 5 panels at Basingstoke ASC (at the station, no signalling in the ROC yet)
Dorset Coast covers Parkstone - Moreton
West of England covers Hunts Path (between Tisbury and Gillingham) - Whimple

The job advert doesn't specify whether this is WoE or Dorset Coast - but you'll find out at interview or offer stage...probably.
Very likely there will be further G5 position(s) coming up at this location in the short to medium term, from what I understand.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
The job advert doesn't specify whether this is WoE or Dorset Coast - but you'll find out at interview or offer stage...probably.
Very likely there will be further G5 position(s) coming up at this location in the short to medium term, from what I understand.
Basingstoke ASC (particularly the grade 5 panels) has a very high turnover of staff yes

NoEyeDeer

Any advice for my interview tomorrow for the position at Carmont (Stonehaven)?

To add to the above it’s a face to face interview, how much interviews would typically be held for 1 position?

Last edited:

BigRob21

Any advice for my interview tomorrow for the position at Carmont (Stonehaven)?

To add to the above it’s a face to face interview, how much interviews would typically be held for 1 position?
Just be confident and be yourself. If you don't fully understand the question then speak up and ask if they could go over it again. Most of all, try not to think about how many others are in line to be interviewed. I recently got through the interview stage and was offered the role and still to this day, I have no idea how many interviews were set to take place. All I can tell you is I went prepared, done my research and had a positive attitude throughout.

Good luck buddy.

NoEyeDeer

Just be confident and be yourself. If you don't fully understand the question then speak up and ask if they could go over it again. Most of all, try not to think about how many others are in line to be interviewed. I recently got through the interview stage and was offered the role and still to this day, I have no idea how many interviews were set to take place. All I can tell you is I went prepared, done my research and had a positive attitude throughout.

Good luck buddy.

Cheers mate

Defenestrate

Any particular reason why?

Think some people use them as a starter panel - decent money yet still enough time to gain experience without as steep a learning curve as a G7/8/9 - before looking at the Basingstoke Main (G7), relief roles or higher grades further afield.

HaylStonee

Hey everyone.

I’ve just had an email from NR saying they cannot progress my application due to me not completing the online tests. I had the email inviting me to test on the 7th, completed them on the 10th.

NR advised me to contact SHL who confirmed I have indeed completed the 3 tests, and they gave me a reference number so NR can view them.

NR have said that once they have viewed them I’ll be accepted back into the vacancy.

Has anyone else had this trouble before? I’m just really worried about it and just wondering how long this will take?

Thanks

SiggysigAah

I think you will be ok if SHL have said you completed the tests and NR review them. HR are usually good when an error has been made on their side I have found.

ILoveLamp

I'd be very grateful if LOM or any others in the know can shed any light on this. My status has changed from test completed to application under review. My understanding is that means I am not one of the top 6 candidates chosen for interview. Does this mean I am unlikely to get an interview or can the hiring manager pick who they like? And how likely is this(I know, this is a how long is a piece of string question) Thanks
Network Rail HR do things differently to the rest of the world it seems... You can be one of the ones not chosen to be interviewed, and where any decent company would then just send you an ‘unsuccessful’ email so you know where you stand, you end up at either Test Complete, Application Under Consideration, Application Under Consideration for Assessment 2...or similar for months on end. I sent an email querying one of mine and within a couple of hours I received the ‘Unsuccessful’ email. So unless they decided there and then, then they just select the ones they want to see at interview and leave the rest to sit at home wondering if they will ever hear anything! Also, if the traffic on the forum is anything to go by, they seem to be prioritising the Future Opportunities applications rather than those Vacancies for an individual box, where someone has spent ages filling out 69 question answers...

Rockhopper

I know of many other people that’s happened to. Nothing heard for months then an hour after you enquire it turns to unsuccessful.

Rover77

I know of many other people that’s happened to. Nothing heard for months then an hour after you enquire it turns to unsuccessful.
In that case I wont be calling them then. Just wondering if there is still a hope of interview or not? Not looking to hopeful.

ILoveLamp

In that case I wont be calling them then. Just wondering if there is still a hope of interview or not? Not looking to hopeful.
You’ll probably find the interviews are all done and you are just sat in a holding pen waiting for someone to press the button when they clearing the pens out... give them an email and you will see where you stand at least! I’ve got one from April that says Under consideration for Assessment 2... even with Covid, obviously been left holding...

High Dyke

Established Member
Network Rail HR do things differently to the rest of the world it seems...
It's no different on the inside. I'm trying to deal with a re-org of signallers in my area. The affected staff were given letters by HR stating they were displaced under the re-org and given choices of available jobs. They made their choices, but have heard nothing since. They haven't even had an acknowledgement that their selection form had been received.

MrsP2010

You’ll probably find the interviews are all done and you are just sat in a holding pen waiting for someone to press the button when they clearing the pens out... give them an email and you will see where you stand at least! I’ve got one from April that says Under consideration for Assessment 2... even with Covid, obviously been left holding...

Last edited:

Deltic75

Hi,
New member here. I've applied for a signaller job, external.

What are the downsides of the job?

I've seen the word "skulduggery" a couple of pages back. Also read there is high sickness. Is this correct? If so, why?

Is it a secure job? Are jobs being
centralised?

Thanks in advance.

ILoveLamp

Probably not the best idea to make negative comments on here, you’d be shocked how far eyes spread.

Speaking from experience, I have stab wounds in my back to prove it.
And they would know who I am how? Negativity based on experience of their processes and it seems I’m not the only one to notice this. Feedback for them if ‘they’ are watching.

danners430

Hey everyone.

I’ve just had an email from NR saying they cannot progress my application due to me not completing the online tests. I had the email inviting me to test on the 7th, completed them on the 10th.

NR advised me to contact SHL who confirmed I have indeed completed the 3 tests, and they gave me a reference number so NR can view them.

NR have said that once they have viewed them I’ll be accepted back into the vacancy.

Has anyone else had this trouble before? I’m just really worried about it and just wondering how long this will take?

Thanks
Happened to me on my first application - phoned them there and then, and within an hour they'd reactivated my application having received confirmation from SHL that I had completed my tests well within the time window.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Hi,
New member here. I've applied for a signaller job, external.

What are the downsides of the job?

I've seen the word "skulduggery" a couple of pages back. Also read there is high sickness. Is this correct? If so, why?

Is it a secure job? Are jobs being
centralised?

Thanks in advance.

Sickness: I’ll be honest SOME people use sick as additional leave. No it’s not right, but it happens. It’s a fact that sealed AC offices like ROCs are heaven for gems, and those who work there do pick up bugs very frequently.

Job security: Very, the centralisation is more or less dead, the age profile is such that those who want to stay on after their remote location closes can, if they are prepared to move.

Downsides: There are a few, but they’ll be different depending on the person you ask.

Deltic75

Sickness: I’ll be honest SOME people use sick as additional leave. No it’s not right, but it happens. It’s a fact that sealed AC offices like ROCs are heaven for gems, and those who work there do pick up bugs very frequently.

Job security: Very, the centralisation is more or less dead, the age profile is such that those who want to stay on after their remote location closes can, if they are prepared to move.

Downsides: There are a few, but they’ll be different depending on the person you ask.
Thanks for the swift reply.

HaylStonee

Happened to me on my first application - phoned them there and then, and within an hour they'd reactivated my application having received confirmation from SHL that I had completed my tests well within the time window.

Did they really? I haven’t heard anything just yet. I might give them a call just to check they’ve received it. Thank you

BigRob21

Got notification that my IST starts on the 9th Nov @ Basingstoke. Anyone else on here starting that day?
Great news, I'm just waiting for a date to be confirmed so I will let you know if I end up at Basingstoke. If you dont mind me asking, where will you be working?

Cheers

Rockhopper

And they would know who I am how? Negativity based on experience of their processes and it seems I’m not the only one to notice this. Feedback for them if ‘they’ are watching.

Its remarkably easy to get an idea of who someone is by looking at their posts - I've not hunted back but you've presumably said which position you've applied for and what your current status is and so on. They'll narrow it down (and Tom is correct, this board is very well known about and many rail professionals inhabit it)
As regards feedback - I doubt they could care less - its a buyers market as far as NR are concerned with numbers applying for each post exceeding two hundred.

NoEyeDeer

Interview done, thought it went okay, at the end the LOC asked if I would be interested in any positions near the area if they came up in future, which I thought was a odd question and left me in a bit of doubt, I did what I could though can only wait and see now