• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

headshot119

Established Member
Interview done, thought it went okay, at the end the LOC asked if I would be interested in any positions near the area if they came up in future, which I thought was a odd question and left me in a bit of doubt, I did what I could though can only wait and see now

Not always necessarily a bad thing, it might be a simple case that they have another position vacant that's closer to where you live, or a myriad of other things.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Interview done, thought it went okay, at the end the LOC asked if I would be interested in any positions near the area if they came up in future, which I thought was a odd question and left me in a bit of doubt, I did what I could though can only wait and see now

The more flexible you can be (within limits of practicable life) the quicker you’ll get a job, there COULD be another person who is earmarked for the job, so their looking to fill another job which isn’t strictly open at this time.

Like @headshot119 has said there are a 1001 things, you’ve done your best sit back with a puzzle or game of computer chess and chill.

olilee2

Start with NR next week, the 24th, @ Feltham
Just been told that all my checks and medical etc have gone through for Feltham this morning so I’m just waiting for a start date. From them requesting you availability to start how long did it take before you knew?

_Odo_

Just been told that all my checks and medical etc have gone through for Feltham this morning so I’m just waiting for a start date. From them requesting you availability to start how long did it take before you knew?
Can I ask how long after your medical did it take before HR told you it had all gone through? I had my medical yesterday and am now anxiously waiting to hear if it was all okay.

olilee2

Can I ask how long after your medical did it take before HR told you it had all gone through? I had my medical yesterday and am now anxiously waiting to hear if it was all okay.
Well I had mine last Wednesday and I got the email about a start date so roughly a working week

Welshtechie

Hello all
First time caller, long time listener.
Just a quick question. I didn't finish the numerical reasoning test in the time as I thought it was more important to be right than guess. I've had my 'Application Withdrawn', with a letter saying 'On this occasion, we are unable to process your application further because you have not completed the required selection tests within the allotted time'
Does this mean I can apply again and complete the test or is that me done?
Thanks in advance.

Rockhopper

That means they think you didn’t complete them within the five days. See further back in this thread. Ring them on the number I also posted.

NewBoots

My emails with the test links arrived today. Exciting times, so it's a few more days of practice then a full tilt run at them on Saturday.

Eeek.

Allaboard78

Hello all
Just a quick question. I didn't finish the numerical reasoning test in the time as I thought it was more important to be right than guess. I've had my 'Application Withdrawn', with a letter saying 'On this occasion, we are unable to process your application further because you have not completed the required selection tests within the allotted time'
Thanks in advance.

It happens all the time. Just get in touch. Which job did you apply for?

HaylStonee

Hello all
Thanks in advance.

A few posts up from you I wrote exactly the same thing. I finished all of my tests within the timescale of 5 days and I had exactly the same email. I had to ring SHL to get a reference number to pass onto NR for them to view my test scores. I’m just waiting for them to get back to me! So definitely contact them.

Welshtechie

Pontrilas and Tram Inn SB. It's only 25 mins from my home which is perfect. Took a drive up their yesterday.
I'll give them a call tomorrow and hopefully, I can make the next stage.
Thanks for the info
Just to update, Called NRHR, they asked me to call SHL, they agreed I'd completed the tests and pushed the results on, called NRHR and confirmed they had my results and re-submitted my applications.

Thanks for all your help on this.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Quick C19 related question:

If you have to self isolate, but have RDW do you lose the day?

NB. I do not have symptoms just asking in case.

Saracen_83

I didn’t lose the rdw when I isolated a mo th or so back. Was paid all rdw and my Sunday.
Weather that is box/LOM dependant I’m not sure!

bouff34

Pretty sure right at the beginning of lockdown something was put out that you would not lose any overtime if already planned due to having to self-isolate...

Found it I think - from the Coronavirus Hub on Connect:

If an employee needs to self-isolate (symptom free) but cannot work from home, then this should be recorded a paid special leave. A case must be created with HR Direct. Pay will include any planned base roster payments.

Last edited:

headshot119

Established Member

Not sure what your route has agreed, we've definitely been told Sundays , RDW, FP etc will all be honored during isolation.

NoEyeDeer

How does the grades get decided? Is it due to the amount of trains that pass per day or other factors? Anyone know grade of Stonehaven’s box ?

T-Karmel

How does the grades get decided? Is it due to the amount of trains that pass per day or other factors? Anyone know grade of Stonehaven’s box ?
Since you have applied for this position, why don't you check job advert? It usually states in there both grade and salary. You do get access to the job advert even if it is not advertised anymore, check in jobs you applies for after logging in to the website.

NoEyeDeer

Since you have applied for this position, why don't you check job advert? It usually states in there both grade and salary. You do get access to the job advert even if it is not advertised anymore, check in jobs you applies for after logging in to the website.
Wasn’t a job I applied for...

Pancakes84

Completed my scenario test and deductive reasoning for the future opportunities! Wow, it was tough!
Actually quite enjoyed the scenario test, although very strange talking to yourself and it was quite lengthy!

Deductive reasoning was very difficult and so different to any practice test I did. Fingers crossed it was enough, just got to prepare for my interview now!