• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Saracen_83

Hi,

very happy to say I got offered the job in Stonehaven this morning. Pending pre employment checks.

just wondering if anyone knows if Stonehaven work on a 8 hour or 12 hour roster? Maybe someone knows. We will see :)

well done... so wasn’t a waste of your time then was it;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

danners430

Hi,

very happy to say I got offered the job in Stonehaven this morning. Pending pre employment checks.

just wondering if anyone knows if Stonehaven work on a 8 hour or 12 hour roster? Maybe someone knows. We will see :)
Congratulations!! That was one I applied for, but it appears they got the right person for the job! Can't say what shift patterns it is unfortunately, but you'll have fun in that box :)

NoEyeDeer

well done... so wasn’t a waste of your time then was it;)

Over the moon cheers

Congratulations!! That was one I applied for, but it appears they got the right person for the job! Can't say what shift patterns it is unfortunately, but you'll have fun in that box :)
Sorry to hear bud. Keep applying. Hopefully something comes up for you soon

danners430

Sorry to hear bud. Keep applying. Hopefully something comes up for you soon
Heavens above, don't apologise - we were both applying for a highly competitive and sought after position in a beautiful part of the country (except in Winter) - missing out is just part of life :)

You focus on the journey ahead of you, and the hopefully many years of enjoyable daily work ahead of you!

NoEyeDeer

Heavens above, don't apologise - we were both applying for a highly competitive and sought after position in a beautiful part of the country (except in Winter) - missing out is just part of life :)

You focus on the journey ahead of you, and the hopefully many years of enjoyable daily work ahead of you!
Thanks mate all the best

Midlands_lad

Good afternoon folks, just had my dates for training school. Anyone else heading to Walsall on 2nd November?

Also, for those who have already completed the training, Do you find out hotel arrangements in advance of attending the school or are these given out on the first day?

Many thanks
I have just completed my training at Walsall, if you are local you travel each day, no hotel. My group had 8 and only 1 was in a hotel due to the distance.

BigRob21

I have just completed my training at Walsall, if you are local you travel each day, no hotel. My group had 8 and only 1 was in a hotel due to the distance.
Thanks for the heads up buddy, I really appreciate it.

I was under the impression that accommodation would be for anyone who was based over 10 miles away.... even if it was 10.1 lol

Gallius

Thanks for the heads up buddy, I really appreciate it.

I was under the impression that accommodation would be for anyone who was based over 10 miles away.... even if it was 10.1 lol
I'm just over 40 miles away from my training centre and I have been given the option of a hotel or to travel daily

danners430

What would everyone's thoughts be on accomodation? I've been having a think for the case that I do get offered a position... I live very close by to the training school in Glasgow, but am wondering whether a hotel would be better anyway as I'd be able to "mingle" with the other trainees (socially distanced of course). My thought is it would allow me to continue studies in the evening with the others, and potentially give me more opportunities to run the simulators once the trainers have gone home...

What does everyone think?

MrsP2010

What would everyone's thoughts be on accomodation? I've been having a think for the case that I do get offered a position... I live very close by to the training school in Glasgow, but am wondering whether a hotel would be better anyway as I'd be able to "mingle" with the other trainees (socially distanced of course). My thought is it would allow me to continue studies in the evening with the others, and potentially give me more opportunities to run the simulators once the trainers have gone home...

Definitely stay if you can. You need 100% focus on the training and it would be hard if you had normal life to cope with at the same time - I’m on week 3 of IST at the moment

T-Karmel

I don't think they'd give you option of hotel if you live nearby, but I don't know that for sure. What I want to say is that if they don't offer you a hotel, I think you could still spend time with other trainees either in training centre or hotels lobby.

89jordanbj

Def stay at accommodation if you can. I am currently in week 4 of IST at York and being able to share revision and practical time with others is proving invaluable.

Every member of the group has got through their week 4 observation and I have no doubt that the practical sim time and revision groups have played a big part in that.

Saracen_83

u won’t necessarily be training at the Glasgow training center, you’ll be placed on the next available course, where ever that maybe!

on my course a few years back, a bloke stayed at the hotel even though he was 15-20 mins away.. he still popped home to see the family couple times per week, however staying at the hotel gave him the time to revise with the group and on his own.
See what your LOM offers you and go from there, but if it was me, I’d go for the hotel..

Qball

I'd request a hotel just tell your Lom you're struggling with revision at home. I'm sure they would try sort something out for you.

Burton5000

Well, after what felt like a good deductive reasoning test, good scenario test, I had my future opportunities interview yesterday. It felt like it went well but i received a rejection e mail this morning. :(
Well, onto the next one!

Hi there everyone. I've read through the topic (every page) and, if I understood it, the scenario test/interview and the deductive reasoning test are new and recently added steps to the selection process, is that right? (guess it's a new filter that could be covid related, based on when they started doing those)

Does anyone know if they are valid for some time (such as the verbal and numerical reasoning + SHL) or it would be required to be done again for every future application?

Macca89

Well, after what felt like a good deductive reasoning test, good scenario test, I had my future opportunities interview yesterday. It felt like it went well but i received a rejection e mail this morning. :(
Well, onto the next one!

Sorry to hear that Burton, keep plugging away at it though and if anything it’s great experience for the next time around, you know about what to expect now. You’ve done well to get to the interview stage so your not far off at all buddy.

I had my video interview today, mixed feelings about how I did tbh, don’t think I screwed it up but also don’t feel like a nailed it either. I feel my interview went better though than doing my deductive reasoning test, that thing was just a mind fuzzle regardless of how many practice tests I’ve previously done.

it’s all experience though

danners430

Got the email this afternoon that my application was unsuccessful for Kingussie... Oh well, onwards and upwards. Still got an application in for Kirkconnel, which has been idle for a couple months, but I can live with that - just have to keep my eyes peeled for the next recruitment drive

_Odo_

Good afternoon all - anybody else got sig school in Derby commencing 2nd November? Done medical today which is the final hurdle!

Congratulations! I had confirmation of passing my medical last week, and as far as I know I'll be starting in Derby on the 2nd Nov too. I know of one other person on this forum with the same start date at Derby so it looks like the three of us will be revision buddies! Look forward to seeing you there.

BigRob21

Congratulations! I had confirmation of passing my medical last week, and as far as I know I'll be starting in Derby on the 2nd Nov too. I know of one other person on this forum with the same start date at Derby so it looks like the three of us will be revision buddies! Look forward to seeing you there.
Iv'e also had a start date for IST of Nov 2nd but It's in Walsall. I have asked if anyone else on here is starting Walsall on the same date but so far it would seem I am the only one.... on here anyway! :)

_Odo_

What did the medical involve?

For me it consisted of:

Medical questionnaire
Sight test (reading letters off a board)
Field of vision test (can you see things out of the corner of your eyes)
Colour vision test (reading numbers in coloured dots)
Blood pressure check
Height and weight measurements
Hearing test (pressing a button when you hear various beeps in your headphones)
And of course the most fun bit called peeing in a bottle (alcohol/drugs test)

NewBoots

Sorry to hear that Burton, keep plugging away at it though and if anything it’s great experience for the next time around, you know about what to expect now. You’ve done well to get to the interview stage so your not far off at all buddy.

I had my video interview today, mixed feelings about how I did tbh, don’t think I screwed it up but also don’t feel like a nailed it either. I feel my interview went better though than doing my deductive reasoning test, that thing was just a mind fuzzle regardless of how many practice tests I’ve previously done.

it’s all experience though

I had a similar experience. I definitely think I could have done better, whether I was good enough is another question.

The reasoning test was a bit of a curveball in that it was a different format to the practice tests available on the site. But that was probably deliberate.

MementoMonty

Ahhh thank you, really appreciate the in-depth reply!

I’m a little bit podgy from lock down at the moment, I hope the love handles won’t hinder the process haha.

Thanks again and all the best for your training!

I'm 18 and a half stone and it wasnt a problem

Looking forward to it!

Hi GringoInLondon,

They are valid for 12 months I believe and will be used for all other vacancies you apply for.

6 months if you fail them.

Good Luck!

Hi MementoMonty,

Congratulations on getting to the final hurdle done before training.
What did the medical involve?
And what was the time frame from being offered the role to getting to where you are now?
Anything I can do to be proactive in the process such as requesting old exam results etc?

All the best!
I received the offer a week ago and I received a call the next morning to arrange today's medical. The only thing I have done on a proactive basis is respond promptly to each step and request from the recruitment team.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

Boobah086

I'm 18 and a half stone and it wasnt a problem

Looking forward to it!

I received the offer a week ago and I received a call the next morning to arrange today's medical. The only thing I have done on a proactive basis is respond promptly to each step and request from the recruitment team.

Best of luck!

Okay, shall do the same! Thanks for your reply and all the best for training school.