• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Kraken

Ahhh thank you, really appreciate the in-depth reply!

I’m a little bit podgy from lock down at the moment, I hope the love handles won’t hinder the process haha.

Thanks again and all the best for your training!

Mate, don’t sweat the weight at all. My BMI is 36 (i.e. massive) and the guy doing my medical told me not to bother even taking my shoes off before getting on the scales because it wouldn’t be a problem. I think as long as you can do the flexibility tests (I had to squat, stand from a squat without putting hands down, twist round at the waist a bit, stuff like that) you’ll be fine.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

olilee2

Does anyone have any info about Milton Keynes signalling school. I start tbere on the 5th but I understand it’s quite new. Anyone been (or indeed joining me in a couple of weeks!)?

Gallius

Does anyone have any info about Milton Keynes signalling school. I start tbere on the 5th but I understand it’s quite new. Anyone been (or indeed joining me in a couple of weeks!)?
I will be starting Signalling School in Milton Keynes on 5th October so I will see you there!

WL113

Anyone know the basic shift pattern for WMSC? thanks

All the WMSC is 8 hour shifts, with 12s on Sundays

A rough example:

S M T W T F S
Off L L RD RD E E
D12 E E E E RD RD
Off RD RD L L L L
N12 N N N N N N

There are some variations around the links. The Cherwell Valley workstation does 12 hour Saturdays for example.

nom de guerre

It is new - the first intake are nearing the end of their course.

IIRC it’s located at The Quadrant (NR’s HQ in MK). I gather the only simulator currently on site is a VDU (MCS) workstation - I’m sure more will be added as time passes.

olilee2

It is new - the first intake are nearing the end of their course.

IIRC it’s located at The Quadrant (NR’s HQ in MK). I gather the only simulator currently on site is a VDU (MCS) workstation - I’m sure more will be added as time passes.
I’m sure it’ll be an interesting experience to train in NR’s actual HQ. Certainly looking forward to the experience!

BigRob21

All the WMSC is 8 hour shifts, with 12s on Sundays

A rough example:

S M T W T F S
Off L L RD RD E E
D12 E E E E RD RD
Off RD RD L L L L
N12 N N N N N N

There are some variations around the links. The Cherwell Valley workstation does 12 hour Saturdays for example.
Thanks @WL113 thats great and thanks for getting back to me, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond :)

headshot119

Established Member
That did make me laugh Kraken, thank you for that! It’s always best to make light out of these situations :lol:
So basically a little flexibility and I should be okay.
Did you have a long wait before the results came back?

Medical results are given to you on the day, assuming there's no issues with things like medications you're taking or preexisting conditions which need a bit more thought from Occupational Health. The only thing you have to wait for is the drugs part of the drugs and alcohol to come back clear, usually within two to three days.

And despite lots of people myself included having the irrational fear it might come back with something on it, I'd say 99% of people know it will come bck clear :D

headshot119

Established Member
Wow, quicker turnaround than I thought! It’s sooo exciting, I’m looking forward to getting the medical completed so I can finally have a confirmed start date.
I don’t drink or take drugs, but you’re right, there is the fear in the back of my mind that I’ll fail it. Strange.

Is anyone concerned about if training will go ahead and our employment will continue if there is another lockdown?

I did ask my LOM about this and they were really adamant it wouldn’t. However, leaving my current job, I worry that I might get stuck in a difficult position if another full blown lockdown occurs. Or is that not a problem at Network Rail?

Thank you to everyone for all of the replies, I’m so grateful to have found this forum :E

There won't be an issue employment if there is another lockdown, it didn't cause a problem the first time around. The company where very good about the whole thing really. For people who had confirmed start dates within the lockdown period they started but stayed at home, and for people who where part way through IST they simply went home until they could resume.

Gallius

Wow, quicker turnaround than I thought! It’s sooo exciting, I’m looking forward to getting the medical completed so I can finally have a confirmed start date.
I don’t drink or take drugs, but you’re right, there is the fear in the back of my mind that I’ll fail it. Strange.

Is anyone concerned about if training will go ahead and our employment will continue if there is another lockdown?

I did ask my LOM about this and they were really adamant it wouldn’t. However, leaving my current job, I worry that I might get stuck in a difficult position if another full blown lockdown occurs. Or is that not a problem at Network Rail?

Thank you to everyone for all of the replies, I’m so grateful to have found this forum :E
My main concern is if I were to develop symptoms and am required to self isolate for 14 days part way through the 11 week course.

Mega

This is my concern as well.
Due to hand in my notice on my current job tomorrow. The contract starts officially 5th of October but do not get to start training school until January.

Are we allowed to work for a different company while working for network rail?

I am a bit confused as the contract says '.....no employment with other previous employer counts as part of your continuous employment with network rail'.

T-Karmel

I am a bit confused as the contract says '.....no employment with other previous employer counts as part of your continuous employment with network rail'.
Maybe that's when you do some work for NR but you are a contractor?

MrsP2010

Hi I’m currently at IST. I’ve just read online that there’s a web based version of Hornby Junction that our trainers can give us a link to. Has anyone ever heard of it and do they have the link? Thanks a lot

MaxGreyhound

Hi all,

Long time lurker on this thread, lots of helpful hints and tips. Helped me gain a job in Workington Signalbox in Cumbria which I'm due to start in January!

Just wondering if anyone knows what the shift patterns are like in Workington or along the Cumbrian coast?

Thanks in advance guys

CGH86

Hi I’m currently at IST. I’ve just read online that there’s a web based version of Hornby Junction that our trainers can give us a link to. Has anyone ever heard of it and do they have the link? Thanks a lot
When I was in IST recently we were given a folder containing various info. There was a link there for the hornby junction which indicated it was a training aid, however after numerous attempts I found the link never worked. I asked the instructor and he was unable to help so I give up in the end.

When I was in IST recently we were given a folder containing various info. There was a link there for the hornby junction which indicated it was a training aid, however after numerous attempts I found the link never worked. I asked the instructor and he was unable to help so I give up in the end.

Attachments

• 16011372862634306960559473128925.jpg
    16011372862634306960559473128925.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 75

jossh78

Hi all,

Long time lurker on this thread, lots of helpful hints and tips. Helped me gain a job in Workington Signalbox in Cumbria which I'm due to start in January!

Just wondering if anyone knows what the shift patterns are like in Workington or along the Cumbrian coast?

Thanks in advance guys

Nice one on being successful in gaining a position, this link https://www.networkrail.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Compendium-of-Signal-Box-Opening-Times.xls might be of use to you.
Workington is on the LNW tab about halfway down, doesn’t help with shift times but gives the box opening times.

MrsP2010

For CGH86, thanks for the info but I should’ve said, but I’m doing AB and that’s for TCB I think. Thanks for the reply though

TLB

Hi Everyone Recently came across this thread during lockdown when I applied for a role.
So grateful for the questions and great answers, really helped me make an informed decision about applying!
Found out this week that I have been successful in securing a role which I’m very exited about. (Verbal)
Can anyone advise on how long it takes for all the paper work and contracts to come through? Also wondered if anyone is starting training in January in Mk?
Thanks a lot!

headshot119

Established Member
Hi all,

Thanks in advance guys

Did you get the permanent position, or are you one of the Fixed term? Anyway that aside the spreadsheet you have been linked to is a little bit out of date. For Workington No 2 (There's also a Workington No 3, don't ask what happened to Workington No 1!)

SundayMondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFridaySaturday
OffRest DayRest DayEarlyEarlyLateLate
LateLateLateRest DayRest DayEarlyEarly
EarlyEarlyEarlyLateLateRest DayRest Day

05:15 starts on earlies, 13:00 handover between shifts, 00:00 finish on lates.

There are some "random" extra rest days in a 27 week cycle to balance it down to 35 hours a week but that's the basic pattern.

cogload

Anyone know the basic shift pattern for WMSC? thanks

Seeing a lot of these questions. Ask your LOM for a copy of the roster.

As an aside have NR abandoned centralised training for the time being? I noted people off to signalling school at Derby which I had thought had long shut...

WL113

Can't see any harm in asking for an idea of the roster pattern, though of course the LOM will be able to give the actual roster.

NR have been opening smaller, local training centres for a while now. Far better than having just two for the whole country,