• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Driffy72

Congrats, where will you be heading?
Thanks, heading to Holton-le-Moor just outside of Market Rasen.

Congrats - that's also my start date. Do you know which training school you'll be going to?
Thanks I was told in my initial phone call that I would be in Derby for signalling school starting the 2nd Nov like a few others I’ve seen on here.

_Odo_

Thanks, heading to Holton-le-Moor just outside of Market Rasen.

Thanks I was told in my initial phone call that I would be in Derby for signalling school starting the 2nd Nov like a few others I’ve seen on here.

Same here - I think that's four of us so far then. See you there!

vinchase

Had the Call today confirming i have been successful and offered the position. So happy. I'll be attending IST in York. good luck to everyone awaiting a decision

jossh78

Had the Call today confirming i have been successful and offered the position. So happy. I'll be attending IST in York. good luck to everyone awaiting a decision
Congratulations, was this for the future opportunities application ?

Last edited:

BigRob21

Folks, please don't be upset with the rejection emails. All it means is now just isn't the time and the role was not the right role for you. I'm sure your time will come if you just keep at it. The hardest part is applying and you have all done this. You should all be proud! keep your chin up and keep pushing. :)

CK1

I gave well balanced answers and took my time to think about the questions however they said I was a little generic. If all I need to do is personalise my responses better then I'm ready to go for the next one. I am proud to have got this far and whilst its bitterly disappointing now, if there's something better waiting in the wings then let's focus on that!

Burton5000

No future ops position for me this time, gutted...good luck to everyone else
Had a rejection email for Futures.
Also just had rejection email, on reserve list apparently. Gutted.

Have you all asked for feedback?

I got rejected the day after my interview whereas all of you have had to wait so long :/. So either I did exceptionally badly or different LOMs have just worked to different time frames maybe?

Good luck to us all for next time though!

CK1

Have you all asked for feedback?

I got rejected the day after my interview whereas all of you have had to wait so long :/. So either I did exceptionally badly or different LOMs have just worked to different time frames maybe?

Good luck to us all for next time though!
Yes I asked for feedback, there is an email link in your rejection email to ask for feedback

DavidYorkshire

I'm on the reserve list also, apparently it's when you scored well enough to get a signaller job, but there isn't a job to give you yet...
So fingers crossed I guess

Burton5000

Yes I asked for feedback, there is an email link in your rejection email to ask for feedback
Yes I know, I asked for feedback. When I replied it didn't show your previous response about your feedback. I am purely curious what the rejection criteria are

TLM

It's a no for me. Have to say the forum has been an Invaluable source of information and help, thanks to all those replying to those in need of help. Just wasn't to be I guess, will keep an eye out but in current climate must focus on other things now. Oh and waiting for feedback, will drop by with update when it comes in.

Thanks all!

RedMum77

Ok so here is the feedback I've just received.

"In terms of feedback, at this stage, the quality of candidates is very high and the difference between candidates was marginal.

The feedback we have on your application is:

Zoe was well prepared, relaxed, very open, well-spoken, asked questions and was very engaged.

We do feel that Zoe could have expanded her answers and made specific to the questions asked.

We will be looking for more signallers across the regions, including ones you've registered your interest for in the near future, for which you will be fast-tracked. Would you like me to message you as soon as they are live?

Thank you for your application please don't let it discourage you from future roles at Network Rail."

And I was worried I was talking TOO much during the interview!

CK1

I didn't realise this ment you are on a reserve list as my feedback is very similar to yours all but 1 paragraph its the same...

bruebunny

I really don't know where I'm going wrong. I've just received application rejection number 9. I got to do the recorded video interview once, but nothing further beyond that. Will the fact I don't have a driving license be being a detriment? It's something I will rectify the very second I got the role, I just haven't the funds to get me over that line just yet. I feel like my 69 questions are relatable, but I'm going to pull it apart and write it again for the next application. All just feels so nebulous and hard to grasp, as I just don't know where I stand and what the problem is with my application compared to others.

Davieo

I really don't know where I'm going wrong. I've just received application rejection number 9. I got to do the recorded video interview once, but nothing further beyond that. Will the fact I don't have a driving license be being a detriment? It's something I will rectify the very second I got the role, I just haven't the funds to get me over that line just yet. I feel like my 69 questions are relatable, but I'm going to pull it apart and write it again for the next application. All just feels so nebulous and hard to grasp, as I just don't know where I stand and what the problem is with my application compared to others.

It's in the essential criteria part of the job advert that Network Rail require applicants with their own transport, so I'd imagine you not having a car/driving license would put you at a disadvantage. Bear in mind that they are relying on you to get to a signal box at all hours of the day in order to relieve the person on the previous shift. The risk is that signaller being relieved can only work beyond their shift for a certain amount of time due to health and safety, so the signal box becomes unmanned.. the trains stop running.. Network Rail pick up a huge fine. It has happened.
Good luck with your applications, there is a wealth of information in this forum regarding non-technical skills, life saving rules etc. Perseverance is key to getting your foot through the door.

Rockhopper

The reserve list is just in case the winning candidate doesn't accept the offer or fails his/her medical or something like that. They will then offer it to the second place person and so on down the list.
Being offered a fast track route when another job comes up isn't really the same thing.

RedMum77

The initial rejection email said I was on a reserve list and I needed to opt out if I did not want them to keep my details, the fast track bit was in a subsequent email. I guess the reserve thing is unlikely.

The reserve list is just in case the winning candidate doesn't accept the offer or fails his/her medical or something like that. They will then offer it to the second place person and so on down the list.
Being offered a fast track route when another job comes up isn't really the same thing.

Rockhopper

Several people on here have reported they've been offered the job off the reserve list so it can happen! I've turned down jobs I've been offered in the past. The interview process is as much for you to see if you want to work for them as for them to see if they want you to work there.